Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Montana Tractors

BrentD ยท 2008-10-09 11:32

Anybody know anything about this company? The tractors are manufactured in South Korea and use Mitsubishi engines. I test drove a couple of the a few weeks back and they seem very well built. It was the first I had heard of the brand name though, so I was wondering it anyone has had experience with this brand, good or bad. Their website is http://www.montanatractors.com/ if anyone would care to look. I personally like the ones we test drove, but my dad is hesitant to buy one because of the lack of name recognition and possible lack of resale value.

Replies3
  1. #1OneWelder2008-10-09 19:58

    They might be the ones who took over long trac.

  2. #2EddieWalker2008-10-10 08:20

    You might want to go to TBN and read up what those who have them have to say. I've read some good stuff about them, but also some concern. You'll save money buying one over the bigger names, but there is a much greater chance that in five years, you won't be able to get parts or have a dealer. http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/montana/ Eddie

  3. #3BrentD2008-10-10 10:56

    I've done some more research since I initially made this post and discovered a few interesting thing. Montana Tractors are actually made by LG Cable (A division of the LG conglomerate) in South Korea. The J B Hunt Group apparently holds import rights to the brand. Montana's primary distribution center is in Springdale Arizona. As far as problems go, when the tractors were first introduced in 2004 they had a couple of problems. The major one was that the clutch plate was not thick enough and didn't engage properly and resulted in a bunch of tractors sitting in workshops waiting on new clutches. The wait was unfortunate but it was because Montana chose to permanently fix the problem and issue new redesigned clutches rather than replace them with a part that would just fail again. The second problem was with the cab tractors. The Air Conditioner condenser had a poorly routed refrigerant line that resulted in several failed A/C units. Montana caught that problem before it became widespread and sent redesigned replacement parts to all of their dealers. The particular dealer I spoke to actually brought up both of those problems when I asked him if there were any common problems that he saw coming back to the repair shop. He says since mid 05 he has not had a single tractor come back in for anything other than someone doing something really stupid and breaking something. So all in all, they sound like a brand that has potential for a good future.