I just put a reman engine in this chipper and I'm having governor adjustment issues and someone point me in the right direction? http://youtu.be/-Pj0uHAkjpg
PM me your email address and i'll send you a pdf on adjusting them. It may not be your exact one but it should be close.
What engine is that?
Its a Hercules 4 cyl
Thinking i may have figured out my issue, this is an eager beaver model 270 chipper with a Hercules motor with a pierce governor. I think there should be a return spring on the throttle plate does anybody know if this is correct?
The flyweights in the governor should provide more than enough force to keep the throttle closed, should be no need for a throttle return spring. I'd say there is something not right inside that governor, does it respond well when throttled up and put under load??
There's a big ass spring at the lower left that's vibrating in your video, the arm it's attached to is supposed to pull the spring and therefore the governor shaft lever forward, the governor should regulate the throttle at the rated speed. Yeah, you might need a small return spring just to take the slack out and pull it down to idle, not sure.
Also can you take a pic of how the throttle control is hooked up, I just took a gander at a couple pierce governors I have kicking around, what you have is a constant speed governor not variable speed. From what I can tell the lever with the big spring attached should be tight all the time to achieve your desired high idle speed, then the "idle control" should be hooked to the throttle break over lever (with the little spring on it) to override the governor and idle the engine. Of course i'm just shootin in the dark without pictures !
Here's a pic I stole of how i've seen this style governor set up, spring is fixed tight to desired speed then you'd hook a cable/rod to one of the holes in the throttle lever and it would pull it to idle "breaking" the lever on the governor over with the little spring on it.
I made a short video of what's happening, I double checked the governor today took it apart, even when online and checked assembly I believe it is assembled right, a return spring would fix the issue, but did it have one to begin with! http://youtu.be/L-JqtNjHY-E
Wow my phone did not show your picture! I took a clear picture of mine Also to a video of the governor working, i think how it should.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfLvdQ3dtiE
I can be totally wrong but it would be a variable speed governor on the chipper? Cause it has a throttle cable with a lock(bottom of larger lever in picture its attached to) My question is why is the little lever allowed to move it never has much tensionon it. small lever on back side of carb does, was thinking return spring there?? maybe missing??
I worded that wrong , what I meant was that style governor is usually used in a fixed speed application (welder, generator etc.) Now that I see how the throttle cable is hooked up (and it looks factory) a small return spring should do the trick. But with any governor i've dealt with, the flyweights generate more than enough force to keep the throttle at an idle when there is no tension on the big spring (while it's running), the throttle linkage will be loose when the engine isn't running. It's almost like the link between the governor and carb needs to be lengthened slightly? Make sure you are still able to get full throttle if you do lengthen the link.
I was thinking i assembled it wrong but found a nice guide on net. i thought maybe the bearing and spacer was behind the fork but i can see on a wear mark on front side. At idle the governor weight should push back against the fork? so if that is not happening maybe a part fell out? But i have thin washer, bearing then spacer This is a pic i found online. looks like mine except i only have two weight in side! for now i am going to get a return spring ,this way i can finish it up time it, check or leaks etc without it engine taching out!
Sounds like a plan, I'll pull one of my governors apart and take some pics, even if you give one a quick spin by hand the weights should fly out and move the lever to the idle position.
Here's a couple pics, the fork rides where my fingers are on the end of the thrust bearing, when assembling have the flyweight assembly gear side down then slide the housing over top. Also make sure the centre hollow shaft that the flyweights actuate slides freely up and down the main shaft with the circlip on the end.