Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

More B&W pics

malcolm ยท 2009-01-28 01:27

A few more photos

Replies31
  1. #1RonG2009-01-28 05:01

    Thanks for sharing with us.I have a soft spot for B/W photos of equipment working. When I was in the army I was an engineer and ran equipment,mostly dozers and my assigned dozer was a TD-18. I bought a 35mm camera while in Germany,a Voigtlander Vito CL and took over 1000 pics while there.I developed and printed my own film and pics at the photo lab in the service club on base and they were mostly B/W as color film was too much of a hassle in those days.I did a few rolls but B/W was my game so I have a lot of monochrome pics to drool over when I want to reminisce about the old days. I still have that camera,in fact I just repaired the coupled light meter on it and it is one of the cameras I carry when I leave the house.I scanned all those pics into the computer so I now have quite a library of memories to fall back on.Ron G

  2. #2Neil D2009-01-29 13:37

    Thanks for sharing with us-I personally don't care if they are B/W its great to see these photos in fact the clarity would put a lot of colour photos to shame. Keep them coming!!!!:notworthy

  3. #3malcolm2009-01-30 02:08

    b&w pics A few more

  4. #4sluggo2009-01-30 02:48

    Them guy's back then were real operaters...

  5. #5637slayer2009-01-31 02:09

    cool pix, in one of the dozer pics where the guy is looking back looks like hes pulling something, it has two wheels, i thought maybe it was somekind of a ripper? any idea about what year those pics are from?

  6. #6stretch2009-01-31 16:10

    Yep, that's a ripper, way back before they were dozer mounted.

  7. #7malcolm2009-02-01 01:23

    A couple more Hi ron g the machine on the left of the photo is a td18 earning its keep cheers malcolm

  8. #8RonG2009-02-01 04:49

    Thanks Malcom.I need to post some of my old pics to share with everyone.It seems as though I have less time now than before I was retired but there seems to be so much going on.LOL. I am doing the things that I did not have time for when I was working,repairing my cameras,test equipment,playing music again,the list goes on.It seems that when I think I have my priorities right something else presents itself requiring reorientation again.Hah!! Thank you again for sharing such history,especially for an old timer to drool over.It makes us think and that is what it is all about,huh?Ron G

  9. #9cherrokee2009-02-02 01:06

    Hey Malcom where you dig up those old pictures? the TD9 and 2U D8 looks like Neil Andersons (hooky) from Whenuapai. Have any more?

  10. #10malcolm2009-02-02 01:53

    photos Hi cherrokee these photos are dryden & margans gear doing the south motorway out of auckland at sylvia park mt wellington td18 on the left 1h d8 center and a 2u d8 on the right . How would we have got on with out letourneau scrapers cheers malcolm

  11. #11Hock D9G2009-02-02 02:07

    Hi Malcom ,great photos i'll try and get some of my dad's photos of his days working on the southern motorway for Drydens. Craig

  12. #12cherrokee2009-02-02 02:47

    I did a stint with Hughie Dryden was stripping a quarry at Paeroa and some forestry roads at Tokoroa with his TD25 and scoop.Also did a job or Baldy Margan at Turangi, Canel job in the late sixtys, 17 at the time. you reviving old memories?

  13. #13malcolm2009-02-03 01:38

    b&wphotos Hi guys hugh dryden lives in the same town i do he gave me the photos at xmas (i have 60) Iam in the process of puting them into dvd form any more would be appreciated if you would like to catch with hugh please feel free to contact me cheers malcolm

  14. #14Hock D9G2009-02-03 02:01

    My dad was telling me how me how he drove the euclid 16tdt from Wellington to Murupara. The cops escorted them to Woodville then returned back to Wellington,the cops said for them to stop at Napier and get another police escort for the trip over the Napier - Taupo road. Hughie Dryden was at Napier and no cop. They carried on without cop escort and arrived at job site after 9.00 o'clock at night. a couple days later cops arrived on site and asked why they never waited for the cop.

  15. #15greywynd2009-02-03 09:54

    Interesting, the truck in this pic is a 48-50 Ford, but to my knowledge, they only offered single axle versions. I wonder if it had a tag axle, or some kind of aftermarket conversion, or what the scoop was? I have a '49 half ton here that I want to get back to finishing the restore on someday.

  16. #16cherrokee2009-02-03 23:14

    Malcolm The photos Hugh Dryden do they include the Taupo and Mangere airport site works? him and Baldy Margan (NZ roadmakers) had a few peices of equipment on both sites.

  17. #17malcolm2009-02-05 01:50

    b & w photos a few more

  18. #18malcolm2009-02-06 14:37

    b&w photos Hi cherrokee no only these two 295s at IH they were new at mangere airport the other one was at IH penrose in the 60s cheers malcolm

  19. #19lpnt652011-11-06 01:17

    Hi Malcolm, Drydens had 4 of these at Mangere,is That Laurie Fielding the 2nd from right they seemed to have problems with the Fan s comming off these IH machines

  20. #20malcolm2011-11-07 01:18

    Hi IPNT65 The guy 2nd from right is Brian Rowlands with me 1st on the right a great time to be working for IH ,Heaps going on Mangere airport Matahina dam Forest Products plus Forest service taking heaps of IH gear . I cant believe its all gone now when I drive past Penrose site and see only glass towered office blocks , but I guess time waits for no one cheers Malcolm

  21. #21lpnt652011-11-07 03:57

    Hi Malcolm. Thanks for that info, Yes it was a great period of time. I am coming to Nz next week look forward to having Drive around. Auckland My wife was there recently says She will have to drive because I will get lost Trying to get any where, I havent been there for about 10years Do McConnellDowel still operate in NZ,? I first worked for Malcolm McConnel when he was engineer for Drydens Then later on when he was witrh Jim Dowell. we did a few projects thru out country. We were all Young Fella;s those days lpnt65

  22. #22malcolm2011-11-08 00:52

    Hi Hope this works , A Mac Dow video on Youtube cheers Malcolm http://youtu.be/Dx4aI9-R5Rg

  23. #23lpnt652011-11-08 03:23

    thanks Malcolm, That was great and looks as tho there are a lot Mcconnel dowelll u tubes Once again i appreciate That as I did Quite a few jobs for them much of it in Rock aroun Auckland Thanks Again Lpnt65

  24. #24Reubs2012-05-05 06:06

    Nice old pics, I like the one of the old Euc 16tdt.

  25. #25DPete2012-05-14 08:50

    Enjoyed the pics, thanks for posting. I had missed them somehow

  26. #26928G Boy2012-05-14 21:49

    thanks for posting, my grandfather ran cats in the bush in new zealand at about the same time these pics were taken.

  27. #27Drus2013-05-16 19:59

    Hi Malcolm, I'm writing a book on Hugh Dryden's Dad, Jim. Any chance I could give you a call, or meet up with you to ask you about him? Andrew (09)3097636

  28. #28Drus2013-05-16 20:02

    G'day. I'm writing a book on Jim Dryden - any chance you could share your memories of him? drusdrus (at) gmail.com is my email address if you'd consider it. -Andrew

  29. #29Drus2013-05-16 20:28

    g'day - I'm writing a book about Jim Dryden. if you have any yarns about him or Hughie, can you email me on drusdrus (at) gmail.com ? cheers, Andrew

  30. #30cat32082013-05-18 05:44

    :iagree I have operated totally open cabbed Iron- I didn't like it!:my2c Those were the true operating engineer! Just my opinions from experiences...

  31. #31glenlunberg2013-06-07 02:06

    I saw your thread about this old pictures. They're really awesome dude!