Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

More of a rant….

simonsrplant · 2023-11-18 00:15

More of a rant.... So whose idea was it to build a 4wd service truck... As cool and as able as it may be I just priced up replacement steer axle shafts... 5k a side.... And 3-4 months away. Seriously. I do like my truck but really....?! Someone give me some wisdom Marmon Herrington MT17

Replies24
  1. #1cosmaar12023-11-18 00:35

    What’s the truck?

  2. #2Welder Dave2023-11-18 02:55

    Is anything aftermarket available? Just think a lot of people mod 4x4's so maybe there are stronger/better axles available and perhaps cheaper than OEM. Price of parts for anything is way out of hand.

  3. #3Vetech632023-11-18 07:39

    My Ram is 4 wheel drive. It still would be stuck on some goat trails without it. No problems yet but I just hit 168k miles……

  4. #4Old Doug2023-11-18 07:51

    My first vehicle was a jeep and i live in a part of the country were 4 wd is use full and my main two rigs are 4wd but not my first choice . I wasnt forced to buy them its just a lot harder to find a 2wd pickup. I guess you have to weigh the benifits against the extra cost and troubles.

  5. #5crane operator2023-11-18 08:08

    Marmon Herrington doesn't build a lot of those FWD systems, Got a part # for the shafts? Weller truck parts shows some inventoried parts. There's also full used axles around.

  6. #6Truck Shop2023-11-18 08:38

    https://partsmanuals.org/marmonherringtonpartsmanuals/Marmon-Herrington-MT-17-parts-manual.pdf * So everyone can see what your after.

  7. #7cfherrman2023-11-18 08:57

    There's a guy building a 4x4 service truck or wrecker out front f a medium duty international. I told him it was a bad idea and tire chains work better than 4x4

  8. #8simonsrplant2023-11-18 10:22

    Truck is a 2001 Freightliner FL80 Oilfield spec Don't get me wrong.... It's a deadly unit. Walks places most can't. I've sent a couple emails. Not too keen on a complete used axle (which I found) as who knows how worn it may be. I shouldn't complain that much as the truck has paid for itself a million times over. Just ten k for a pair of axle shafts....

  9. #9cfherrman2023-11-18 10:48

    What does oilfield spec mean, I don't think you could spec a fl80 that tough. There's a service rig with a fwd and it's completely useless, it also weighs 65-70k#

  10. #10MG842023-11-18 14:14

    I agree, I love my 4wd pickups but not a big fan of 4wd medium duty trucks. Too tall, heavy, high maintenance costs, less drivetrain choices, and not as capable as you’d think. There is a reason why they are so few and far between.

  11. #11cuttin edge2023-11-18 14:50

    They just took delivery of 2 new F350 4x4 4 door with an 8 foot box what a grocery getter. Over 80 grand each. That's crazy. Only reason any of our work trucks are 4x4 is for snow. We don't do a lot of jobs that would require it. Our service and welding trucks are just rear wheel drives. My work truck is 2 wheel drive and it gets me to site no problem. I agree with the too tall statement. They ordered both trucks without running boards, and I would need a step stool to get in them.

  12. #12cuttin edge2023-11-18 14:56

    If you have run it for 22 years, and the axles have lasted this long, and you need them..... Just bite the bullet and get them. Still cheaper than a new truck.

  13. #13Truck Shop2023-11-18 15:56
  14. #14simonsrplant2023-11-18 17:16

    That old ford is sub zero cool... Agree with many of the points you guys have said Undoubtedly by the end of the week I'll have ordered them since the exchange will kill me bringing anything across the border. And as much as I'll whine about it for another couple weeks, I wouldn't change my truck for anything different.

  15. #15Vetech632023-11-18 19:01

    A few drinks and that 10k seems like nothing.

  16. #16cfherrman2023-11-18 20:41

    Srw or drw?

  17. #17cuttin edge2023-11-19 09:07

    Single. One is for the pipe crew, it has no box, and will be fitted with a compartment type box and a lift tailgate. Their foreman works year round, and plows snow, so 4x4 is useful. Second will keep the fleet side box and get a lift gate, and a couple bed mounted tool boxes for the paving crew. They do snow removal, and need 4x4 as well. Crazy price

  18. #18cfherrman2023-11-19 12:11

    Hope you got the 10,000 tag option It's a complete waste to get a f350 srw over a f250 imo

  19. #19cuttin edge2023-11-19 12:23

    Not my money. Neither truck will ever haul a trailer. The pipe truck will never see anyone in the back seat, and the paving truck will never carry anything heavier than I haul around in my F150 work truck. The heavy stuff is in the service truck. No idea why they spent the money. The pipe truck could have been a regular cab 250, and the pavers could have made due with a crew cab 150, 4x4

  20. #20Mobiltech2023-11-19 12:55

    I have run both f550s with 4x4 and without and I spent far more time walking into a job site to get equipment to pull me in with the 2 wheel drive. Also for control on icy pavement pulling a trailer the 4x4 is way better because you can keep the ass end straight. I won’t buy a truck without it.

  21. #21cfherrman2023-11-19 13:59

    It will be your problem when the right person pulls you over. Pickups are much different than medium duty or heavy duty trucks. I would definitely have 4x4 on any automatic truck 550 and smaller.

  22. #22cuttin edge2023-11-19 14:38

    Rules are different here. DOT never looks at a truck without a PR plate, or an L plate. The 350 with the work box will have an L plate, but the fleet side will have the same plate on it as my own 2013 f150. There was a stink here years back because there were so many 250s and 350s hauling grandpa's fifth wheel camper, and under law they had to report to the scales. If it has a fleet side box it can be considered for personal use, and registered as such. I need the same drivers license as a tractor trailer, except the air brake endorsement to haul a 3 axle trailer with an F350, but my wife can grab a personal F350 and hook onto a 3 axle camper with the same license she has for a car.

  23. #23Acoals2023-11-19 18:10

    Say what ? ? ?

  24. #24cfherrman2023-11-19 18:18

    The difference is 2" axle spacers in front, I believe 1 rating higher rear springs, and the tag is over 10,000# often just by a little bit. You should always get the f250 so you never mess with dot.