Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

more pics of equipment stuck!

9420pullpan · 2006-07-14 13:46

this is from KSB in colorado from ACMOC

Replies581
  1. #1Dozerboy2006-07-14 20:27

    Morons there is a point that you should give up and quit digging your self deeper. My guess is the pickup was first then the hoe, loader and last the dozer.

  2. #2atgreene2006-07-29 20:32

    Here's one I saw yesterday. This is a potato or corn field in Fryeburg Harbor. I wondered why the tractor had stopped in the middle of the field until I stopped and zoomed in. There was another tractor coming to help him, but I don't know how they made out. We've been getting lots of rain, to the point where many of the corn fields were tilled back under and I suspect that is what they were attempting to do here.

  3. #3Squizzy246B2006-07-29 21:36

    Oh Deere!:eek2

  4. #4544D102006-07-30 17:51

    In the 2nd pic it kinda looks like the loader hit the engine cover of the hoe.

  5. #5LowBoy2006-11-23 18:18

    Ouch... These dudes are having a BAAAAAD day, to say the least...:Banghead

  6. #6alan627b2007-01-04 15:39

    I saw that first post on the Cat bulletin board before, it was eplained that the folks driving the pickup got it stuck first, then went and "borrowed" the equipment to try and get the truck out, then buried the cats too. Did a fair amount of damage to the equipment too, I remember. This is what the guys found when they got back to work on Monday. They did get caught.....all I can remember right now, alan627b

  7. #7JDOFMEMI2007-01-04 23:18

    Alan Thanks for clearing that up. I was about to think someone needed fired! It looks like the crew had their work cut out freeing all that iron. Might need to wait a few months.

  8. #8Nick Drew2007-03-03 17:18

    Nick Drew to the rescue!! In this photo I was called on to help pull this Komatsu D65 dozer out of a sticky situation on a road job in Cornwall England last year!!

  9. #9alco2007-03-22 04:03

    I know I have posted these before, but here it goes again. Brian

  10. #10HeyUvaVT2007-03-22 10:20

    holy crap..those last pics are crazy...first time i have seen them...any back story? how did they get them unstuck?

  11. #11Lashlander2007-03-22 13:02

    Cool pics!:thumbsup They probably ran one of their Komatsus out there and towed em back in.:yup

  12. #12JDOFMEMI2007-03-22 13:09

    ointlaugh :falldownlaugh :falldownlaugh :falldownlaugh

  13. #13alco2007-03-22 13:36

    Hahaha, nice try. We don't have any Komatsu's at that mine. But here is what happens when the Komatsu's at the other mine venture out into this stuff. Brian

  14. #14alco2007-03-22 13:53

    This is at an Oilsands mine in Northern Alberta, Canada. These are the dozers we use to work and handle the sand once it has been handled and processed by the plant to extract the bitumen. It gets pumped to us by pipelines to large ponds where we work with it to establish solid ground again. The water in the slurry gets trapped in pockets underneath the sand, silt and clay and we occasionally drop machines into these pockets since you can tell they are there until you are in one. There are also soft spots that develop and that is what happened to the D7R's. The deep one was the first one in, and the shallower one was a new guy who didn't follow the proper procedure and got himself stuck too. It took a week to get both out. We had to build roads out to them with good material, then dig around them, lift and pull really hard! For each machine, it took two 589 sidebooms lifting, a D7R and a D375 pulling, and a 375 Cat hoe and an EX450LC Hitachi hoe lifting and pulling to get them out. Quite the show really. These are pictures of the 375 digging around the deep one once the road was built and it had sunk farther...and what it looked like when it was out for comparison. Brian

  15. #15alco2007-03-22 14:08

    Here are a couple from a place I used to work. The guy in the background wearing the blue hood was the operator. In all fairness, it wasn't his fault entirely. He was told by an engineer that it was safe to walk through there, he pretested and was told by the superintendant to do it. He wasn't stuck as bad as this at first, but the same superintendant decided to dig around it to pul it out. They didn't have neough power to pull it out and the machine sunk further before the hole collapsed around it. So the not so super-intendant said "Well, that didn't work....do it again!" They did, and the same thing happened again. That's how it got in so deep. It took us 18 hours to get it out using two TD25's, an 850C, PC200LC, 892E LC, and an EX700 LC. We were all filthy by the time it was over. Brian

  16. #16JDOFMEMI2007-03-22 14:44

    Brian Just wanted to thank you for the pictures and the story to go with it. Did the dozers shown go back to work? If so, how much damage did they get from thier journey into the tailings? Great to have your input here

  17. #17alco2007-03-22 15:00

    Hi Jerry, All of the dozers went back to work eventually. The D7R's cost about 400,000 each to get rebuilt. They are full of electrical gremlins now...surprise surprise. The D155 was also rebuilt and put back to work, however I am not at that mine and never heard how much it cost. Brian

  18. #18Countryboy2007-03-22 20:21

    Excellent pics and story, Alco. Do you have anymore? :drinkup

  19. #19dayexco2007-03-22 21:24

    here's a link to pics i took of a competitor's of mine 330 getting stuck, pulled out last early november while he was cleaning out a cattle stock damn http://s72.photobucket.com/albums/i182/dayexco/stuck/

  20. #20PSDF3502007-03-22 21:51

    Great pics. Even better because theres a story to go with them. Thank you for sharing.:drinkup

  21. #21dayexco2007-03-22 22:14

    took a 330 kobelco, 300 komatsu, 210 kobelco to get out, he gave local volunteer fire dept. donation to bring fire truck out and blow mud off it before he moved it off that site.

  22. #22Countryboy2007-03-22 23:29

    Dayexco, can you post some of them pics. My computer don't let me look at photobucket, thanks to the bossman. :bash :cussing

  23. #23dayexco2007-03-23 12:40

    how would you like to be rick? bet he caught some grief over this one

  24. #24DPete2007-03-23 22:59

    Wonder what those dozers were doing out in that mush in the first place? DP

  25. #25Wulf2007-03-23 23:16

    I saw a new Chinese D7 copy (hi-drive n'all) that was about $300,000 brand new. You guys would be better running those and just burying them LOL...

  26. #26alco2007-03-24 00:37

    I saw an ad for those a while back too. I was actually wondering how much would be interchangeable between the Cat and the Chinese machines. Would sure save us the hassle of digging them out eh? Where in Canada are you from Wulf? Brian

  27. #27CM19952007-03-24 00:53

    Chinese Cat Copies I was in China a little over a year ago at a very large trade show and had the opportunity to look at a D7 copy. Poor quality workmanship really doesn't even describe that junk. The welds and fabricating were horrible. I doubt the machine would last 500 hours.

  28. #28Wulf2007-03-24 01:10

    LOL... I was told that they were built 'in cooperation with Caterpillar'. I know what you mean though about the rough fabrication and welding. I thought the carrier roller pedestals were going to fall off just looking at them, also the track links looked like they weren't SALT.

  29. #29CM19952007-03-24 09:48

    The one that I saw, and I don't remember the actual company name, was just a cheap copy. I don't believe Cat had ANY thing to do with this. China has no copyright rules and everything and I mean everything is fake. Fake marlboro lights, coca-cola - pretty much if it is an american product it is fake. This trade show I went to had everything from kitchen sinks, TV's to lawn equipment and this one Copy Cat I saw. It was not an equipment show specifically. I will see if I can find my pictures of it. There was also a car company called "Great Wall" that basically were making toyota car and truck copies they were just 7/8 size of the real thing. Couldn't fit in the drivers seat.LOL

  30. #30dirtworksequip2007-03-24 10:16

    Worst! Here's the worst I've personally been stuck. DON'T ASK! lol Cat 941B trying to extract Cat 935C http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q259/dirtworksequip/P1010028.jpg Well....................I'll tell ya if you ask?

  31. #31digger242j2007-03-24 10:37

    How'd you manage that? (There, I asked.)

  32. #32CM19952007-03-24 11:21

    Hey spill the beans on this one.

  33. #33dirtworksequip2007-03-24 11:21

    You just had to ask!!! Well.............Now I'm going to have to tell the whole story.lol It was the 4th of July 1992. A friend just out the road from me had hired a local contractor to clear a ravine behind his house. The contactor showed up with a Cat 953. The operator made two passes with clearing a few trees and some brush. On the second pass he wasn't able to back up out of the ravine. He went that little extra too far. So,they ended up bringing in their Cat D7 to get him back up out of the ravine. That was it for them. They loaded up both machines and left. So, my neighbor friend ask if I'd like to clear it for him. I told him I'd do it on July 4th weekend. Anyway I moved my Cat 935C over to his place and started to do the clearing. Once I worked my way down into the bottom of the ravine I put in some old 6 inch waterline to carry the small trickle of water that was there and covered the pipe with about a foot and a half of dirt. Now I had a place to work and shouldn't have to worry about getting stuck because it was wet. Everthing was going well, other than a couple of Popular tree stumps that he had previously cut off flush with the ground. NO FUN, as I'm sure you know. Most of the big stumps where done and I still had the clean up to do. In order to clean up the trees and stumps I had to shove across the hill to make my burn piles. Anyway somehow I ended up below the old waterline I had installed for temporary drainage. The harder I tried to get back up out of the creek the deeper I sank. Luckily I still had my old Cat 941B that was up for sale. I called a good friend of mine that has a small excavating company and explained the situation to him and he said he would go over to my place and move the old 941 over and we could use it to pull out the 935. Well we tried everything. We were afraid to take the 941 down into the ravine,because we figured both machines would end up being stuck. He had enough chain to reach the 935,but the 941 just could not get enough traction to pull out the 935. We tried and tried. It just wouldn't budge. By now its starting to get dark and the 935 is so buried that 2 more inches and there will be water running into the fuel tank. Plus it was calling for rain later that night. Sh**! What am I going to do? OK, I said lets try this. So I hooked up a chain on each side onto the shoe pad at the bottom as close to the ground as possible. The 3/8ths grab hooks just fit. Now I took out all the slack from the chains running from the 941 to the 935. Got back on the 935, put it in forward gear and slowly gave it some throttle. LO and BEHOLD! It walked right out on those chains as the track moved rearward it pulled just like a winch. The only thing I said was. "We should have tried that 8 hours ago! Geez, what an ordeal. I think I spent more time dropping the belly pan and cleaning the machine up than I was on the job. Needless to say I didn't make anything on that one,but I did learn a great way to get unstuck. I've used this method more times than I would like to recall to get myself unstuck. Most of those times I was able to tie off on a tree at the base and only use a chain on one track to get out. It works,but its still not easy work. Sorry to be sooooooooo long winded,but it raining here today, so I thought it would be a good time to tell a story and maybe teach someone else a method of getting up stuck when you are by yourself and there are no other machines to pull you out. Sincerely,Dirt

  34. #34Tigerotor77W2007-03-24 11:39

    That's probably because Asians are shorter. But it's good, because we fit in doorways and caves that big, burly white men would conk their heads on.

  35. #35PSDF3502007-03-24 11:42

    It's funny how easy it is to get unstuck. When you find that just right way. But it is never the first thing you try.

  36. #36CM19952007-03-24 11:46

    You just learn to duck your head.:bouncegri

  37. #37MKTEF2007-06-09 16:40

    Komatsu D65 stuck. Here is som pictures of our Komatsu D65 stuck. It's from the period when we built the new camp in North-Afghanistan, it is located on a big flat area of clay. It started to snow/rain for some days. A local trucker drove over the area and got stuck. He just stod there for 3 days, doing showeling by hand in a atempt to get loose. One day he contacted me when i passed by, asking for help. Well the doser is a nice piece of equipment for this job, so i asked the operator to take a short tripp over to pull him loose. Shouldn't take more than ten minutes Our operater drove over and started pulling, no problem, he got loose but the doser fell down in a hole. He had to press the blade down to awoid clay in the cooling fan. The truck moved easily away, but then we got problems. Well the L180E and a 30 fot chain solved the problem. They told us later that a truck had been stuck at the same point as the doser, creating a deep hole with floating clay that you couldn't see on the surface.

  38. #38DPete2007-06-09 20:36

    Yep, that dozer is stuck. Lucky the truck was empty, what a mess. DP

  39. #39crazycajun2007-07-01 20:10

    i need to find a way to put my pictures on the computer. had some pretty stupid operators.

  40. #40Countryboy2007-07-01 21:09

    Check out these 2 threads: Posting Pictures Resizing Pictures

  41. #41Countryboy2007-07-01 21:57

    D11R without 4 wheel drive...... JD 8960 and pan Another stuck JD and pan

  42. #42mitchell29052007-08-11 08:01

    lets hear the story behing the two stuck JDs and the D 11:drinkup

  43. #43Lashlander2007-08-11 13:28

    Nice pics CB. It looks like they did some digging on that D11 already.:thumbsup

  44. #44Countryboy2007-08-12 18:54

    :beatsme Not my pictures man, sorry. I had noticed that too. The other piece of equipment musta not been big enough.

  45. #45nedly052007-08-13 05:49

    Hopefully they got that D11 out before it froze up too hard!!

  46. #46alco2007-08-13 22:32

    If they don't dig it out, they would never pull it out...trust me. We needed a 375 hoe, D375 dozer, a D7R and two 589 sidebooms to get a D7R out once. They don't just pop out of this goop. Actually, it's a whole lot easier to get them out once they're frozen. No more suction to deal with. Brian

  47. #47surfer-joe2007-08-13 23:05

    Why all the fans on top? Does the goo left over from the oil recovery smell that bad, or are they heaters for those cold northern nights?

  48. #48CM19952007-08-14 08:08

    Hey Brian - when the ground freezes around the machine how careful do you have to be when you "unstuck it" - not break any of the components? Just curious.

  49. #49alco2007-08-15 01:10

    The fans are part of the cooling system. They move the radiators and coolers to the roof to keep them out of the mud and sludge. A normally placed radiator plugs up solid in about one hour or less. We just dig, I guess you wouldn't want to hit the machine too hard, but there isn't any extra concern put into it. If it's going to break, it's going to break. Odds are after that it's going to spend time in the shop anyhow, there is already a bunch of broken stuff if it got dumped that bad. Don't get me wrong, we don't try to cause damage to get them out. But we don't put extra care into the recovery because it's frozen than we would if it was warm out. For what we doing, they are pretty robust and resist damage fairly well. Brian

  50. #50EZ TRBO2007-09-01 09:59

    Well haven't done this in a long while but on Thursday, of course just had to take one more load of sand, and got stuck crossing a flooded part of the sand pit. Trbo

  51. #51bigblueox2007-09-01 22:46

    oops

  52. #52possum300d2007-10-07 13:57

    Some good pics.

  53. #539420pullpan2007-10-07 18:35

    some new ones

  54. #5490plow2007-10-07 22:18

    Cool pics. The feeling when your helplessly stuck is not a good one. Off topic but why do they use the JD machines with pull pans instead of the the regular scrapers? -Eric

  55. #55Dozerboy2007-10-07 22:29

    Its cheaper on short hauls.

  56. #56DuraMaxMan662007-10-08 12:58

    gettin those cat compact track loaders stuck is an easy thing to do...

  57. #57Loaderman3802007-10-08 17:34

    Here are a couple of pics. from the site I'm working on. This was just plain old operator error.

  58. #58Loaderman3802007-10-08 18:07

    Here are a couple more, same machine a few days later. Machine is a Komatsu PC-400. The operator was working on the begining of a large retention pond when the rim ditch gave way. He decided to walk down to the bottom of the pond to fix the rim ditch because he could not reach it from the top.

  59. #59mikef872007-10-09 05:42

    does he still work there?

  60. #60Loaderman3802007-10-10 11:02

    No he was asked to leave after we worked on getting the machine out fro prox. 24 hours with no luck. The machine was eventually freed, but it took almost a month. Had to dig thepond down around it to get the ground dry and hard enough to move it. The machine was cleaned up and sent to the auction. Buyer beware :beatsme

  61. #61Z24O2007-10-13 03:36

    and here was me,a newby to tracked gear thinking to myself "at least you can't get bogged like wheeled machinery" ointhead think after seeing these horror stories i'll play in the hard stuff until i get the hang of it

  62. #62Bolan2007-10-13 14:15

    good pics

  63. #639420pullpan2008-05-18 21:22
  64. #649420pullpan2008-05-18 21:24

    the first 4 pics are of a D8R LGP

  65. #659420pullpan2008-05-18 21:26
  66. #669420pullpan2008-05-18 21:28

    here are some pics of equipment stuck in the waste handling application. i wish i had more pics of the 980 with compaction wheels on it.... awesome machine

  67. #679420pullpan2008-05-18 21:31
  68. #689420pullpan2008-05-18 21:33

    this is what happens when you don't post for some time....

  69. #699420pullpan2008-05-18 21:39
  70. #709420pullpan2008-05-18 21:55
  71. #71mikesequip2008-05-18 21:56

    some really awsome pics

  72. #72Lashlander2008-05-19 09:50

    Wow!

  73. #73Young James2008-05-19 10:36

    holy crap that's insane!!!

  74. #74ben46a2008-05-19 14:47

    Thats the second 375 Ive seen thats been lost to the ocean. That 303 just needs a couple lads to push lol.

  75. #75HeyUvaVT2008-05-19 14:51

    i need the back story on that 375 in the surf....wow

  76. #769420pullpan2008-05-19 15:59

    i wish i knew the stories behind half of the pics i have seen

  77. #77385c JR2008-05-19 16:12

    **** happens ops

  78. #78jimmyjack2008-05-19 22:11

    i'll add a couple from that site i like

  79. #79iron kid2008-05-19 23:04

    the cat that went surffing and found out it can't swim had to be a total loss get stuck, get out and think. and u can find a way out. Keep moving and sink your way to the bottom

  80. #80bear2008-05-20 00:54

    Oilsands guys... How often do you sink a piece of equipment like that? Is there any way to use something like a concret vibrator to help "settle" the sands? Just curious. :beatsme

  81. #81d4c24a2008-05-20 11:57

    robert knighton/ surfing cat no it got rebuilt at levertons ,it was in the uk and owned by stokey plant ,the credit for these pictures should go to robert knighton ,a plant fitter here in the uk ,he has some amazing pictures ,sadly not to be seen now as someone copied and pasted the thread onto another site with no mention of where the pictures came from the cost of the rebuild was £100.000 it was not stuck it blew a track motor hose at night cheers graham

  82. #829420pullpan2008-05-20 12:02

    well i have to credit Robert Knighton for the Great pics thank you

  83. #83d4c24a2008-05-20 12:17

    thanks thanks 9420pullpan i will see if i can entice him onto this site i have personally seen some of his albums and he has some great pictures :notworthy thanks for taking the time to post all of these pictures ,i have visited the vastereden site briefly and it looks good well worth a longer look thanks graham

  84. #84kendall692008-05-23 18:08

    Makes me... Want to take a camera to work all the time.

  85. #85EddieWalker2008-05-23 23:26

    I've really enjoyed the stuck pictures and wanted to share one of mine. I have a Case 1550 that I use on my land for personal use. I was filling in a hole from a stump that I'd taken out earlier, and was kind of in a hurry as it was getting dark out. The hole had a bunch of water in it and the dirt was turning to mush as I pushed it in. I was being careful at first, but as I lost daylight, I sort of got carried away. It took me all the next day to dig out all around it with my backhoe, then a ramp to drive it out. I waited a month for the ground to dry out before cleaning up the mess. Eddie

  86. #86JBL2008-05-24 00:05

    Nice one eddie. I am sure alot of the guys here would enjoy seeing some of your pond building pictures also.

  87. #87EddieWalker2008-05-25 10:40

    Funny how I forgot about this stuck picture, but the pond refrence reminded me of it. I was cleaning out the silt in my small pond with my backhoe and putting it into my dump truck. I had hauled about five or six loads without any trouble. My mistake was in not realizing that the water coming through my bed was soaking the ground under my tires. With a full load and very slipery clay, the mistake of parking without any barrier behind me became rather obvious. As luck would have it, my neighbor was in town and happened to drive by on his land right after this happened. He went and got his backhoe, and with the both my backhoe and his, we pulled it out real easy in about ten minutes. I drained the water out of the axle and replaced it with new oil. While doing that, I noticed that my U-bolts were loose, and so badly rusted that they wouldn't tighten up. I cut them off and replaced them with brand new ones, which I might not have noticed if I hadn't have taken it swimming!!! Eddie

  88. #88kendall692008-05-25 12:06

    Yea, looks like you get to a point, do you pull it OUT or push it all the way under???

  89. #89MMSOCAL2008-05-25 14:22

    here you go :usaNot all operators are qualified to work in silt pond. _Back story is pretty much the operator was being pushed to with a 6lgp and then when the dozer hand went to lunch, the hoe operator tried to back fill the hole he dug:beatsme and go dig further out in the silt. As we can see this process was flawed. He kept his job oddly enough ointhead.:usa

  90. #90RollOver Pete2008-05-26 02:48

    Um..... I wasn't stuck.... I was just checking to see where the bottom was

  91. #91tonka2008-05-26 07:49

    Yeah and i got this bridge i'd like to sell you, she looks pretty stuck to me

  92. #92alco2008-05-26 10:40

    I tried to use that one once, but all my partner said was keep diggin boy, you still have another 200' to go if you're lookin for the bottom. Brian

  93. #93b61mh442008-06-11 13:54

    Those are some interesting photos.

  94. #94Big Dazzler2008-06-13 06:27

    this one may have been run into the surf to clean it. We did this as mechanics with our machines before repair on the sand mining company I worked for. We would run them out into the surf at high tide, seal off the exhaust opening and inlet and let the sand clean them. They worked in salt water all day anyway cheers

  95. #95Billy X2008-06-14 23:53

    Too Slow This is mother nature at her best.

  96. #96Maxpro2008-06-15 17:03

    That is just crazy!!!! When I was young my one of grand father's dozer operators got a TD15 stuck. He had hit something like quick sand and before he knew it it was up to the seat. It took 2 other TD15's and alot of cable to get it out. I have to give credit where credit is due. This is way worse!!!!!

  97. #97AtlasRob2008-06-15 17:18

    You mean Worst,........... Oh its not yours, .......it dont matter then

  98. #98alan2432008-06-23 17:20

    Wow All I can say is WOW. In the mine where I work they have 2 d10's that are in the bottom of the pit, right now you can see the top of one, the other is totally underwater.

  99. #99bushcat2008-06-23 21:34

    Alan show us the pics

  100. #100Mass-X2008-06-23 21:54

    Alan, just a shot in the dark; you work at Kennecott? Have you guys already fished out the 793B or are the D10’s keeping it company?

  101. #101JDOFMEMI2008-06-24 02:35

    I hear the beginings of a story that is crying out to be told!

  102. #102bear2008-06-24 23:55

    Me too. Spill the beans...please?

  103. #103sandy2008-06-28 08:58

    More drowned dragline http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_EupbS_JfE

  104. #104AtlasRob2008-06-28 17:50

    Well worth a look, thanks for the link. The amount of water those pumps are shifting a second is unreal. :notworthy And they reckon to JUMP start the dragline in a couple weeks like to see the booster cables on that day

  105. #105Wolf2008-06-28 19:43

    bridge for sale nah, it's the brooklyn bridge that is for sale. GGB already sold to the greenies.

  106. #106Mass-X2008-06-28 20:12

    I don't know the story, but this picture was e-mailed to me a while back. Said to be at the bottom of Kennecott's Bingham Canyon Mine.

  107. #107AtlasRob2008-06-29 13:29

    :lmao:lmao :falldownlaugh Who Emailed it to you Stretch, JD4020, or Agent ?

  108. #108Deere96702008-06-29 13:59

    HAHA very funny! Looks like a tonka to me!!!

  109. #109Lashlander2008-06-29 22:54

    You guys seem to be a little gun shy! LoL I've seen that pic before. Theres some from further out and its a real truck.

  110. #110AtlasRob2008-06-30 15:04

    Sorry Lashlander, :beatsme it might be real but that dont mean its big

  111. #111RoadDoc2008-06-30 18:45

    More Chaos.... Subcontractor on night shift left us with this little slice of sunshine one morning.... :Banghead

  112. #112JDOFMEMI2008-07-01 04:01

    I too have seen that pic, as well as a couple from farther out. you can even see the oil trail down the face where the truck went down. If it is fake, it is a good one. One thing i did notice looking at it with a more critical eye now is that some of the "boulders" look a little big to have been hauled to the dump and pushed off. There are a few there that look larger than the truck bed. That don't mean they are not real, just worthy of another look. Whats the verdict???

  113. #113Lashlander2008-07-01 08:55

    See if this works. This is off of PullPans signiture album. A view from further out. http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2660223490065476939KuqKec Like Jerry said, If its a fake its a good one!

  114. #114JDOFMEMI2008-07-01 09:27

    Thanks Lash. I was going to post, but could only find the close up in my files. I was pretty sure I had this one, but maybe not. I had forgotten the reason for the boulders. They are a little big for the truck, but easy to see why now.

  115. #115AtlasRob2008-07-01 17:25

    :shf we dont have a smiley with egg on its face so that will have to do. Thank you very much and I am now a believer :notworthy I could have lost an awful lot of money betting on that as I was sure it was a good fake. Looks just like a load of Type 1 limestone a big puddle and a kids tonka truck

  116. #116AtlasRob2008-07-01 17:28

    Did you jump on it and walk it out with some assistance from the bucket, or did you save the guys embarresment and put a chain on it

  117. #117RoadDoc2008-07-01 21:27

    We made a big show of it.....Had to earn the bottle of Crown Royal it cost him! :drinkup:cool2

  118. #118oakland2008-07-02 00:40

    heres a stuck 769d at a site.

  119. #119AtlasRob2008-07-02 14:52

    :beerchug

  120. #120cat4ever2008-07-02 19:00

    The 797B appears to have slided backwards due to the ground giving way under her rear-axle weight though. She didn't quite get stucked...:IMO

  121. #121dayexco2008-07-02 19:06

    i think yer right

  122. #122oakland2008-07-02 22:47

    oh, well it looked like it was stuck by the way its not a 797b its a 769d bit smaller of a machine

  123. #123Gavin84w2008-07-03 07:51

    Obviously you guys do not know about that 793 that went for a swim, this was Mt Keith mine in WA and the operator drowned, quite a few years ago now.

  124. #124JDOFMEMI2008-07-03 16:20

    Gavin Thanks for that tidbit. I wondered where it was. Kind of figured it was a fatality, unless the driver had wings.

  125. #125cat4ever2008-07-03 19:37

    "oh, well it looked like it was stuck by the way its not a 797b its a 769d bit smaller of a machine" - oakland It says 797B doesn't it? 'was this picture I was refering to.:naughty

  126. #126Lashlander2008-07-03 23:54

    Boy, this thread was going 4 different directions at once there. I was getting confused!

  127. #127cat4ever2008-07-04 01:39

    :lmao

  128. #128oakland2008-07-05 17:39

    sorry i didnt see that picture ointhead:Banghead oh well

  129. #129AtlasRob2008-07-06 11:52

    You didn't see it cause he didn't post it. I think you can assume he was fishing and you bit

  130. #130alco2008-07-06 12:40

    If you look back a few pages, that picture was indeed posted. Brian

  131. #131AtlasRob2008-07-06 13:37

    I did, your right, I missed it and stand corrected :notworthy

  132. #132biggerdigger2008-07-09 01:43

    Not the operator's fault - Mother Nature is to blame here. Guy was extracting gravel and the river came up unexpectedly overnight!

  133. #133joe9012008-07-09 04:00

    thats the underwaterest digger I ever seen.... where, who how?

  134. #134HoJay2008-07-09 14:10

    Just some stuck iron.

  135. #135HoJay2008-07-09 14:28

    The first two pics are of a versatile tractor thayt broke through the muskeg in northern alberta on a ice road, the tractor pulls an old tire from a 793 rock truck to pound frost into the ground after cats have opened up the road and have pulled smaller tires over for a few days. Third pick is a 9n that got stuck feeding muskeg to hoe to load out, ended up pulling it out with a 850 JD hoe. Bit of a pain becauce the back of the bucket had a loop instead of a hook and we didnt have a big clevis handy. Fourth is just a truck that got to close to the edge, the right hand side wheels where off the ground before the hoe got to him. Last one was just the cat filling the slope but it was soft at the bottom [ water at bottom of slope] and it just gave away on him. We pulled him out with a 330 hoe.

  136. #136biggerdigger2008-07-09 17:35

    I'm not sure who the contractor is - one of my readers spotted it and sent me the pics. It's a river in the Hawke's Bay in New Zealand. Apparently the digger had a contract to do some gravel extraction and the machine was left on the riverbed overnight when the river rose unexpectedly. Can't imagine the operator was too happy when he got to work the next day.

  137. #137PSDF3502008-07-09 21:34

    Sounds like operater error to me. I would not leave a machine so close to a river that it could swallow up a machine like that. Just becuase it isn't raining were you are dont mean up river it isn't jmo. But I have never worked on a river project so what do I know. I do remember watching westerns when younger and they always crossed the river before bedding down for the night just incase the river rose.

  138. #138alco2008-07-10 01:02

    I was thinking something along the same lines myself. Brian

  139. #139JimBruce422008-07-10 20:54

    Hey Hojay, Cool pics, are those all A40 ADT's? Got any photos of that 850 deere you mentioned?

  140. #140HoJay2008-07-11 19:30

    Hey Jim, Those Adts are all a30s. I have a couple pics of the 850 but they are not very good, I took them on night shift but i will post some later and try to find some of our 850 hitachi.

  141. #141Iron Horse2008-07-11 21:52

    This is a shot of my 931 Cat traxcavator which fell through the crust and stopped on the clay about 3' down . I decided i was deep enough when my little dog walked straight onto the floor plates that were level with the ground and looked at me . I thought it's now time to go and have a beer and a think . I ended up putting a piece of short chain with a hook on one end around a front track plate and attached it to a 7/8" wire rope with an eye on each end . I ran the rope through a steel ring i grabbed with the 4in1 and then onto a tree (you can just see the rope through the ROPS and onto the tree). Put it in gear and wound the rope up on the track like a fishing reel . Came straight out , i think i even impressed the dog .

  142. #142knucklehead982008-07-28 13:16

    http://www.stripmine.org/cgi-bin/an...d=get&cG=2333837343&zu=3233383734&v=2&gV=0&p= http://www.stripmine.org/cgi-bin/an...d=get&cG=2333639343&zu=3233363934&v=2&gV=0&p= http://www.stripmine.org/cgi-bin/an...d=get&cG=2333530373&zu=3233353037&v=2&gV=0&p= http://www.stripmine.org/cgi-bin/an...d=get&cG=2333331333&zu=3233333133&v=2&gV=0&p= http://www.stripmine.org/cgi-bin/an...d=get&cG=2333138353&zu=3233313834&v=2&gV=0&p= http://www.stripmine.org/cgi-bin/an...cG=2323539313&zu=3232353931&v=2&gV=1&p=#22591 This is a link to on another board, that is from ta employee of that mine. He has it very well documented. I don't know if I missed any of the threads or not. If you have time, search through the archives on that site for anything from "parksy", he even has photo documented the building of a new dragline. Pretty interesting stuff,I thought.

  143. #143knucklehead982008-07-28 13:20

    http://www.stripmine.org/cgi-bin/an...d=get&cG=2343031373&zu=3234303137&v=2&gV=0&p= Stuck Dragline

  144. #144Twisted2008-08-13 07:06

    Lil blue Not Yellow but A friend of mine got himself into a predicament this past weekend.

  145. #145Smitty2008-08-13 18:49

    Wow! There is some crazy stuff in this thread. It makes me want to be a little more careful - especially when I start thinking about the expense of getting some of these things unstuck.

  146. #146Deere96702008-08-13 19:08

    Some of these pictures make me wonder what what going through the operators minds when they got stuck? Sure I have got my fair share of tractors stuck, and sometimes it happens, but the NH?????? That was bad, he must of thought it floated!!!

  147. #147qball2008-08-13 21:49

    you gotta break a few eggs to make an omlette. we will all swamp a machine at some point, so if you get smug you will get swamped worse.

  148. #148Buckethead2008-08-14 21:30

    I can't speak for them, but last time I got a machine stuck I was thinking, "Does he (the foreman) really think this machine can go there?" Just doing what I was told.

  149. #149Twisted2008-08-15 07:01

    I believe he was on his way to pick up the aluminum can that is sitting in front of his left rear tire. :beatsme Long story behind this one too but its out & we all had a good chuckle about it afterwords. Twisted

  150. #150AtlasRob2008-08-15 15:23

    That beer definetly lubricated the part that needed it the most well thought out, planned and executed. Heard of it being done but by the time I learnt of the trick I had progressed to something with an arm and bucket, though I am sure my time will come :drinkup

  151. #151ME832008-08-15 17:00

    Seeing what it takes to get these tracked equipment stuck makes me want to go buy a dozer and "test" the traction limit. I am always pulling one tractor out with another. So far it has only taken me a hour to get my worst stuck out.

  152. #152ben46a2008-08-17 11:13

    Then you havent truly been stuck............

  153. #153oisinirish2008-08-17 15:30

    Testing the limits of traction on your tracked machine will definitely enhance your education!.. We had a brand new D8n get stuck in a lake we were building when we hit an underground spring. The rear end sank to to the fuel tank and she started sliding deeper and deeper. The Pc400 had barely enough to halt the slide. we ended up chaining railroad ties to tracks. We got it out but Holy Frijoles what a heart attack at first.

  154. #154Flash20042008-08-18 20:25

    Now that I've seen all these photos and read the stories i don't feel so bad after all about some of my own escapades. I've had some serious stuck situations before but well before digital cameras luckily!

  155. #155redlaker12008-08-23 18:18

    the line between stuck and holy crap I made it is thin

  156. #156AtlasRob2008-08-24 06:07

    :yup very thin at times :thumbsup

  157. #157Sharky2008-08-26 01:09

    I have been stuck in a dozer more times than I care to remember. Snapped 7/8 cable, and many 3/4'' ones, ripped down 4' (At the butt) trees,along with others, just trying to get out. I have had the foot controls in the mud more than once. I slowly learned a little, but still get stuck on occasion. The muskegs here are very decieving. Corduroy roadways leading up to a knob that needs ripped. Suddenly, the logs below shift or snap and your Burried! Building logging roads across a heavily saturated muskeg is the worse. Everything is great, until suddenly yer F#$%%.:Banghead Man, I wish I had taken more pics over the years.

  158. #158Iron Horse2008-08-26 04:59

    I think the worst part is dropping the belly plates to get all the ooze that has surrounded everything back out . The best way to get a dozer out (if you can get to the tracks) is to chain a log or similar accross both tracks . Start to apply some torque keeping your hands away from the steering levers and it should bury the log and drag you out the length of the tracks . You should be by now sitting on the other logs you dragged into position before hand .

  159. #159lancef2008-08-30 16:34

    Awusme pictures.....

  160. #160justaddwata2008-09-02 18:08

    some humbling pics. Amazing how the ground will swollow so much power.

  161. #161jimmyjack2008-09-02 22:16

    boy it'd be nice to see some new pics

  162. #162Iron Horse2008-09-03 06:15

    A side shot of my 931 is the best i can do at short notice . I'll see if i can do better tomorrow as ive got some scrub to clear with the tractor . As you can see in the picture it looked ok , just like the rest of the area i had been walking on . My little dog walked straight onto the floor plates and looked at me as if to say , thank's that's a lot easier than jumping up onto the tracks . I just noticed the ring i grabbed in the 4in1 to run the rope through to feed it onto the track straight .

  163. #1639420pullpan2008-09-11 22:10
  164. #164Wolfcsm2008-09-12 08:41

    Interesting way to get it clean. Hal

  165. #165kennymopar2008-09-26 07:05

    theres some great pics there ..but what do you tell the boss ?

  166. #166AtlasRob2008-09-27 13:35

    Last time I told her it wasn't my fault

  167. #167bildrrick2008-09-27 13:53

    nice

  168. #168bluecoupe2008-10-08 16:56

    heres one of our tractor and dump trailer Photos Gallery - PicTiger

  169. #169hoeman6002008-10-08 18:50

    K!!! Yer Full ...next

  170. #170Deere96702008-10-08 20:25

    haha i bet that driver had some skid marks left on the seat after that happend! Lets hear the story hoeman

  171. #171JDOFMEMI2008-10-08 20:48

    I said 4 ton, not 44 ton:cussing

  172. #172hoeman6002008-10-08 22:22

    duno the story just fowerdeded it from last page with my own smart a%* comment . it just seemed to need some attention.

  173. #173EZ TRBO2008-10-20 23:16

    Pretty simple deal here, your working mere feet above the water table on the Mississippi River and loose sand, never know when it might happen. Not really a big deal, hooked on with the dozer and towed him out. Trbo

  174. #174oakland2008-10-20 23:37

    as long as its someone other than you its fine never seen a 970f before:notworthy

  175. #175EZ TRBO2008-10-21 00:06

    Well he has pulled me out once before, so its only fair. The machine is actually a Material Handler, not sure if that clears things up on the F series. Trbo

  176. #176385c JR2008-10-24 16:17

    Time for my contribution in this thread :drinkup

  177. #177MKTEF2008-10-24 16:23

    Hey F. Now you're not nice to one of JR's best operators.. If there ain't a new guy there, as he got the 11. Nice pics by the way.

  178. #178385c JR2008-10-24 16:54

    He he. It's a new guy. You see the back of the good D11 driver, who had to come and get the 10 up. Without any help from other machines. :notworthy

  179. #179AtlasRob2008-10-25 16:32

    That tells me 2 things, the new guy gets credit for stopping when he got to the stage where he knew he would only make it worse, and due credit to the operator who got it out without assistance :cool2 :drinkup

  180. #180Taylortractornu2008-11-12 21:48

    I got the misfortune of operating one of these mongrols and working on one I have a pattern burner in my shop, just a large torch that traces a sheet metal pattern. I use it for thumbs and rakes, but its really made for sawmill sprockets. A man had inherited one from his brother that was trying to deal them. 450 hours it needed sprockets couldnt get them to fit from Cat Berco werent able either. I took an old one off and used it for a pattern burned out 2 rings. and welded them to the old sprockets. They dont come off in segments like a Cat you have to break the track. at 650 hours the pedestals broke. The transmission power unit looked nothing like a Cat Cylinder peed oil everywhere. The man went back to using a an old D6 to finish his job. Sent the other back home for 18 cents a pound. He told me the only way he had it was the fact his shyster brother left it to him.

  181. #181IH560JL2009-01-02 20:29

    Being a catskinner myself, i know how tough these are, let me guess. Once out air cleaners were removed, cleaned , replaced and they fired up and were drove to get a bath. Hope skinners that buried them had to clean them with a toothbrush!!!

  182. #182IH560JL2009-01-02 20:32

    Just another cat skinner Being a catskinner myself, i know how tough these are, let me guess. Once out air cleaners were removed, cleaned , replaced and they fired up and were drove to get a bath. Hope skinners that buried them had to clean them with a toothbrush!!!

  183. #183PrinothGuy232009-01-10 20:31

    man those are some awsome pics...i havent been stuck myself but at the college i went to some kids had some serious problems with getting trucks and equipment stuck

  184. #18430 dirty years2009-01-20 23:00

    We got one stuck then another so it was time to get a longer chain.

  185. #185jgivens2009-01-20 23:35

    Oh lord Guys I've been waiting to see a thread like this, guess I didn't look hard enough. Anyway some of our stuck tractors I have lots of pictures hope you like them. Any questions just shoot!

  186. #186jgivens2009-01-20 23:58

    These have a story with them. So we was stripping a quarry with 5 tractors. The job was during the winter and we was pushing hard trying to get done and decided to start hauling after some heavy rains. This day we didn't haul much.... :Banghead So we was running single file our ramp into our cut was one lane. (Keep in mind this is the same route we ran for weeks) The first tractor came in and got stuck, the second tractor swung left and was going to go around but it got stuck. Yelled at the D8 operator to come on over and help out but as he was getting in behind the second tractor he went down:Banghead:Banghead. Ok.... had to ride back to the staging area and get the D6H (about a mail away) was going to push the 8 out but didn't even touch blades and the 6 was done!:badidea Dang what now:beatsme Had to call the quarry and they sent a dozer (from about 4 miles away over) we drug out the cables and finally started moving equipment. We had everything out except the first tractor. Hooked a D8R to the front a D8R on the back pushing and the D6H Pushing on the front D8. Check out the pictures!

  187. #187jgivens2009-01-21 00:02

    If I already posted these sorry! Finally back hauling a couple hours later.

  188. #188JDOFMEMI2009-01-21 00:45

    What a mess!! Bet it made you wish you stayed in bed that day.

  189. #1899420pullpan2009-01-21 11:16

    We did this job a few years back and it was wet and was pumping bad. Apparently I had a crack in my hitch. All of a sudden the 9420 picked up speed and I looked back and this is what I saw.....

  190. #190jgivens2009-01-21 12:13

    Oh man that sucks, I've seen that happen a time or two myself.

  191. #191NL1CAT2009-01-22 13:46

    Blub Aaah stuck too.:yup

  192. #192JDOFMEMI2009-01-22 14:54

    I hope there was a boat close by! Also a longer cable. That on looks a little short to reach anything.

  193. #193DarrylMueller2009-01-22 14:58

    Get that Rock off the beach now! The operator did not want to do this but the forman knew more? It was a new machine. They had to undo the hydraulic track motors and wench it out it went under water at high tide, it was fine walking out to the rock, picked up the rock and it sunk.

  194. #194JimBruce422009-01-23 02:04

    where'd the pictures go? :beatsme

  195. #195Diagonal Brace2009-01-23 05:00

    I cannot see the pictures either.:beatsme

  196. #196landrvrnut222009-01-23 10:12

    I'm glad it's just not me.

  197. #197insleyboy2009-01-23 16:15

    If your talking about the 690 pics....they are right there on the end of page 13

  198. #198landrvrnut222009-01-23 17:33

    Now they are working.

  199. #199MAC-EX2009-01-24 08:47

    Here is one of my step dad's 950 Cat loader. I took this picture and used in in my advertising. It says "Don't get stuck with the wrong dirt contractor!"

  200. #200insleyboy2009-01-24 16:32

    Is there a picture somewhere of the Stuck Feller-Buncher after it was recovered? I remember seeing it, maybee not in this thread, but in this site somewhere.

  201. #201CM19952009-01-24 18:03

    Here is the "before" thread - This is the "after" thread - Both of these were interesting threads.

  202. #202Construct'O2009-01-25 05:34

    Nice catchy ad there.Hopfully they don't find out that is your machine ,they might take that as you being wrong guy for the there job,especially if it has anything to do with MUD. I do like it,good job:drinkup:usa

  203. #203insleyboy2009-01-25 08:39

    Thanks CM1995, I have a young nephew " 3" that loves to see forestry equiment. He's into the stuck equipment on the computer, these cold days inside. He will love these!!!

  204. #204mike 360*2009-02-25 17:12

    heres my mistake, during xmas time, i was told to cross this ditch in the morning to repair a dam further accross the site, in the afternoo crossing it back, the machine slipped off the so called ledge, and sunk on the one side, i tryed to push myself out,no luck, so turned round, but that was worse, water started coming in the cab, turned my head the engine was steaming, **** I THOUGHT, the air filter box is under water, so turned it off just in time! dug a channel next to it to clear the water, fitter came down that night, took injectors off, fired her over pumped the water out (thankgod it didnt bend a con rod!!) -had to do it in the dark, as the water in the motor would of froze that night! Next day dug myself a ramp out with a takeuchi tb 125, and i was back to work! -but all the lads on site now call me the boy from atlantis!!-il never live it down! p.s its a JS 130, 1999 i think

  205. #205HeyUvaVT2009-02-25 20:06

    yikes...wheres your life jacket!

  206. #206SCOOPIT222009-02-25 20:15

    Awwwww Dam Hey Boss, Do you have a chain and shovel on your truck ointhead

  207. #207AtlasRob2009-02-26 14:34

    :notworthy...... thats for a) having the *alls to post it and b) having the presence of mind to turn it off quick rather than trying just once more, well done :drinkup

  208. #208334 lawn co2009-02-26 21:49

    i did that same thing on monday with my skidder---had to use our tractor to get it out . took 8 hours to get it out...long day:beatsmei dont know how i got it stuck anyways, shouldve taken pics but i was kinda pissed off and didnt think about it.

  209. #209dieselsmokemake2009-03-02 07:24

    Friend of mine in GA screw up.

  210. #210Cat 430E IT2009-03-10 17:27

    jeez i can see some reasons why people get these machines stuck be some you just wonder

  211. #211SweCE2009-03-14 13:45

    This is one of all machines I have managed to get stuck. This is actually one of the mildest one I have done.

  212. #212Turbo218352009-03-14 13:49

    Oh yeah! Nothing like pushing out piles that have been sitting for months. Ya never know where the soft spot is, but since the piles haven't been rounded to shed water, it's a guaranteed that you will find a soft spot.

  213. #213insleyboy2009-03-14 21:30

    You bet Turbo 21835, are we finding that out now (during the frost law) or what???

  214. #214Turbo218352009-03-14 22:55

    I wish Insleyboy. We are not working right now, frost laws are on, plus we are waiting for Rockwall to finish up pouring some walls on our project. Not that it matters right now, Im on my feet and driving truck, working for a non signatory contractor, so no equipment for me. Hall isn't looking too bright right now. But its about time to go pounding on doors, weathers starting to break.

  215. #215Tigerotor77W2009-03-15 00:06

    Any details? Such a new machine, too!

  216. #216Deere96702009-03-15 01:23

    and a rental...lol

  217. #217Turbo218352009-03-15 11:27

    Not that hard to figure out what happened. Pushing a dump site that was never rounded off. With truck piles sitting like that they tend to hold water. You never really know where that soft spot is going to be, until the bottom falls out. It looks like nice dry ground on top, which is is, but a foot underneath that dry looking ground is a bunch of slop. You usually fell it after youre over it. The first reaction is to throw the machine in reverse and raise the blade. Usually raising the blade is what sinks you.

  218. #218Tigerotor77W2009-03-15 12:06

    Hehe. Yeah, good point. Forgive me... what does "rounded off" mean (or how would you accomplish it)?

  219. #219JimBruce422009-03-15 13:04

    tigerotor, rounding off is basically just the process of knocking the tops off the piles and getting the area to drain, so that it doesn't hold water.

  220. #220catd8t2009-03-15 18:17

    i did the same thing last winter oh just ramp up thoses piles so trucks can dum their hahaha ok a said i was to their with a d6n going and going then boom im stuck i was way far, no other equipment on this place the dump trucks couldnt even get near me they are half loaded with slop. i was pissed. then i lifted the dozer with the blade and spent 2 hours finding rocks put them under. i took a picture on my phone and backed her out i was covered in mud and sent that pic to my boss and said im done pic this dozer up he said got the picture ill tell the trucks to go to the other job go home hahahahaha ive never been stuck like that

  221. #221insleyboy2009-03-15 21:42

    Hey Turbo, are you southeast Mich? If so C.A. Hull is looking for operators.Toebe is hiring as well. Good luck.

  222. #222TLindsay2009-03-23 20:48

    Getting stuck can happen to anyone ...you might be next..!

  223. #223Tracksoup712009-03-30 03:19

    I don't know the story behind these but thought they fit rigt in with the theme of things.

  224. #224DonZX142009-03-30 13:57

    That last one is my worst nightmare!!!

  225. #225AtlasRob2009-03-30 15:04

    Theres pictures somewhere of after it was recovered, it has a very thick slab of ice all around ( and probably through) the cab at the angle its sitting at there.

  226. #2269420pullpan2009-03-30 16:55

    Here is a good on after it got pulled out of the ice.

  227. #227buddy6052009-03-30 20:32

    That looks like a Lac de Gras Constructors, a Kiewit-led joint venture sticker on the side of that D10. This would make sence since they are in diavik. and this is where the ice road is.

  228. #228ryan322009-03-31 14:39

    Geez, some of these pics are amazing! I'm gonna show them to someone who has had similar misfortunes with a few of his machines, but as bad as they were, they look mild in comparison! I'm sure most of you have an idea how big a Cat 973 is. This guy did quite a number on his machine but apparently has it running again. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0ASi6yAiAA He's posted a number of pictures and discussions of the machine after the fact and it looks/sounds like it's fully recovered. In http://cars.talkzilla.com/boards/read_msg.aspx?message_id=15032 you can even still see what is probably the muck line on the machine. Not that people typically throw away a 973 because it got wet or buried or whatever.

  229. #229ryan322009-03-31 14:47

    Doesn't look like I can edit my post to replace the picture link with the picture itself, so I'll just include the picture here.

  230. #230ryan322009-03-31 14:49

    One last try: or

  231. #231AtlasRob2009-03-31 16:16

    You mean like this Right click a picture and save as ( insert name) in a folder on your computer that you can find again then upload it as norm. On edit, spotted that is only your third post so you would not have been able to load the picture. You should be ok now you have 3 posts. Here it is in the water

  232. #232ryan322009-03-31 17:06
  233. #233Iron Horse2009-04-02 01:04

    A photo in a machine magazine i picked up at a machinery expo in Brisbane last week .

  234. #23453cummins2009-04-02 13:16

    must have been pretty rough surf to move that much sand around

  235. #235jimmyjack2009-04-02 14:54

    i think theres more pics of that machine on the beach some were on here but im not sure , i saw them somewhere i just think it was on here

  236. #236buddy6052009-04-02 17:59

    Best looking Crapatsu I have seen in a long time.

  237. #237Iron Horse2009-04-02 18:13

    Here Puss Puss ?

  238. #238Hendrik2009-04-02 23:53

    The lights are but nobody is home. Amazing that it is still running, driver has probably gone to get some scuba gear and wants the cab nice and warm for when he/she gets back.

  239. #239Beachbum02862009-04-04 11:37

    That was in Avalon, New Jersey. I think it was a PC 1250,obviously it found a soft spot. I saw it in person, it took them forever to get it out.

  240. #240alco2009-04-04 14:59

    It's not running, the exhaust flapper is just jammed open. Trust me, it was thoroughly dead...lol. Brian

  241. #241AtlasRob2009-04-04 16:38

    I cant trust you anymore ................................ the lights are still on, it must be alive, it must, it must :crying

  242. #242Iron Horse2009-04-04 18:41

    I did'nt realise that picture had allready been posted , sorry about that .

  243. #243Hendrik2009-04-04 19:09

    Fair enough, I had a look back through the thread and saw the picture of the D10R after it was pulled out and the rain cap is still open. However in theory it was possible for it still to be running as the air intake was above water. But we do know that the wiring for the right working lights is water proof

  244. #244CAT D9H2009-04-04 19:41

    I think I'll add some pics here you go

  245. #245mudmaker2009-04-04 20:36

    I know it isnt heavy equipment, but it is my pickup stuck on a job site. It was froze earlier in the day, but not this time.

  246. #246ryan322009-04-06 11:56

    We'll see if it works now. He posted about the buried backhoe here

  247. #247qball2009-04-06 13:03

    wow! what a cluster.... if you get everything stuck, how do you get to the tavern?

  248. #248mudmaker2009-04-06 18:17

    Wow!:dizzy

  249. #249John H2009-04-06 18:59

    I am at a loss for words...

  250. #250Frenchy2009-04-06 23:37

    LoL Frenchy:canada

  251. #251swampdog2009-04-07 00:32

    It must be spring. At least around here, right after the frost goes out of the ground, the mud becomes bottomless. Some days it's best to just stay home.:Banghead It must be difficult to get a backhoe that stuck. After all, the machine has a front bucket, a rear bucket, and two outriggers, all capable of lifting the machine. Even in wet conditions, one should be able to throw logs or timbers under the buckets and outriggers for support. Maybe it's the old story of the operator making things worse by trying to get unstuck instead of stopping to assess the situation???

  252. #252JDOFMEMI2009-04-07 02:35

    I have seen a backhoe stuck nearly that bad, and it was early spring. Ground still frozen in the morning, but by 10:00 or so, you would break through the crust. I was 13 or 14 at the time and several freinds and I carried timber for hours to get enough under the machine that it would lift itself out of the hole it was in. You know its bad when you put the rear dipper down, and with the stick all the way out, the boom cylinders hit the stops and the back of the machine has not risen even an inch. Yep, should have stayed in bed that day for sure.

  253. #253AtlasRob2009-04-10 13:13

    With reference to the stuck Case above, this is what the guy wrote along with the pictures on another site. QUOTE Note that in the above pic, the machine actually got in trouble facing the other direction. I'd scooped up a load of dirt and the front wheels buried themselves. And I couldn't back out with the loader or even pull myself out with the backhoe, so I used the backhoe to turn the machine around in the hopes it'd reach the solid dam and be able to push it out. When I drove the machine to here, there was no visible water and the ground looked deceptively solid as you'll see in the next pic. End Quote. I cant believe he actually found it possible to turn it around but not walk it out, but I suppose if you have never been shown or seen how to work all three, ( drive, front bucket, backhoe) in the right sequence it is difficult to understand just what is possible. I am assuming the dirt he picked up in the front bucket had a lot of gold or diamonds among it and he didnt want to empty it out again

  254. #254Swamp rat2009-04-17 16:51

    I have had some bad days, but this tops them all

  255. #255JDOFMEMI2009-04-17 19:59

    Swamp Rat Welcome to the forum You have to have 3 posts before you can load pictures. Try again.

  256. #256BigDog's Toys2009-04-17 20:16

    Great Pics and good stories.. thank you

  257. #257Osgood2009-04-21 03:50

    On a positive note, it would give the archaeologists something to excavate in generations to come!

  258. #258Osgood2009-04-21 04:05

    I wonder what 27th century archaeologists would make of a Case backhoe anyway? They'll probably already know that 6 wheel tippers roamed the plains in herds, and traxcavators pushed out watering holes and fed the tippers, but a backhoe? Perhaps it will be classified as a new species of predatory machine? Maybe they will conclude that the backhoe chased the traxcavator into the swamp and then got stuck itself - one of the protective tippers ventured close and got itself stuck too .....

  259. #259Iron Horse2009-04-21 06:03

    Well done my Dear Watson .

  260. #260diggerop2009-04-28 01:10

    Well, it's not going anywhere 474 komatsu, parked in the wrong place!!!

  261. #261mudmaker2009-04-28 10:43

    That looks like one of those puzzle type pictures. Can you see what is in the pic??LOL! Looks like a mess though.

  262. #262JimBruce422009-04-28 12:51

    your not suppose to park a dozer at the face of a shot? huh...

  263. #263insleyboy2009-04-28 21:51

    Like poetry Osgood....well said, now get back in goal for the Red Wings.....LOL

  264. #264Osgood2009-04-29 03:00

    Football with backhoes in goal and wheel loaders up front? OK! That 474 Komatsu must have frightened the fossil hunter too - he was only looking for coal swamp ferns!! I really wish I'd kept an advert about 16 years back from the UK Plant Resale magazine, it had an ad along the ines of - For Sale - Vintage Euclid R15 Rear Dump, been kept under cover for 16 years. Then there was a photo of an opencast coal mine waste heap which had been dug to reveal this buried dumper!! Hey, 3 posts - can I post pics now?

  265. #265ghitch752009-04-29 08:26

    how does stuff like that happened?.....thats just crazy!!!

  266. #266diggerop2009-04-29 17:41
  267. #267AtlasRob2009-05-03 15:25

    Man that must have been the last time he ever parked up for a kip on shift, break or not that must have been very frightening. There was a picture a month or so ago in Earthmovers of a very big rigid frame dumptruck in a very similar situation minus the operator as it was parked. Somebody had altered the radius of the radial stacker but not checked the discharge area. Apparently there was another truck parked the other side of the one that could be half seen

  268. #268mike 360*2009-05-06 13:40

    i was back to our large site today, been installing a bio disc for a campsite, but first day back, and our dozer driver got bogged 3 times! the 1st photo is from a work collegues phone, i was the other end of site at the time. Next 3 are from my phone, which came out good! We are capping off a apple waste dam from and cider factory, and trying to form a bund over it with subsoil, its working and hiding the waste rotten apples, but occasionly we find a wet spot! Easily pulled him out with my bucket to his blade, he wont cal or ring me to ask for a pull, maybe to embarassed! the last time i was re fueling towards the end of the day, and turned round and he was down again, in the same spot!

  269. #269BigIron252009-05-09 17:03

    I agree, up close it looks like a toy truck, but from a picture with a further view i noticed the boulders had not in fact been moved but were there because of a landslide, and you can see the bouy attached to the truck, possibly for a faster find when recovery takes place? it definately looks real in those second set of pics.

  270. #270Chris917862009-05-11 18:21

    sweet pics

  271. #271Dozerboy2009-05-23 19:11

    I have one finely. Its not that I don't get stuck just normally its a swamp and I don't want to get muddy. I may have been able to get out, but I wasn't going to risk the drivetrain or sticking it even more.

  272. #272EZ TRBO2009-05-27 17:50

    Getting stuck happens somtimes and as long as its not from doing somthing you KNOW you shouldn't do its really not a big deal. Hats off to you as far as knowing enough is enough and swallowing your pride and just taking another machine to pull you out without damaging anything. Alot of guys think they HAVE to get it out on their own but might tear up somthing in the process. Trbo

  273. #273Tenspot2009-05-28 11:02

    great thread!

  274. #274JonesBros2009-06-01 19:46

    Might as well show my latest and greatest from today I never liked pulling ditches in tall grass, simply because you can't see what your running into until its to damn late. I traditionally like to sit up on the front slope and run the blade down to cut the front slope and bottom and some back slope w/ the blade. I already got 1/2 way stuck right before this but luckily came out. So I figured while I was cleaning up the ditch I just got stuck in i'd try pulling some more ahead while already sitting on the shoulder w/ the blade just trying to straighten the ditch. Anyway I found me a cross pipe today the hard way, well it pulled me down into this bottomless pit it seemed. Had to get the tank retriever and pull me out since a dump truck wouldn't do it. Enjoy!

  275. #275buddy6052009-06-01 19:53

    Good one Jones, like my dad always says, " If you are going to f up f up big and go home."

  276. #276hvy 1ton2009-06-01 19:53

    No pics of the tank retriever?

  277. #277JonesBros2009-06-01 20:00

    I know.. i wanted to get a video of it. It was a real sweet operation. It was identical to this one but a giant extendable arm/crane w/ one helluva snatch block and winch. He just used the winch to get me out. http://www.armyjeeps.net/Birmingham/31.jpg He backed up to me, hooked this giant hook attatched to a 1/2" or 5/8" chain onto my front push block hook, then pulled ahead till it was almost tight. Put these two ramps down w/ spikes in them on the back side behind his rear tires w/ 1/2" chain connecting them to the body. Then he proceeded to winch me out. Once the cable got tight the grader wouldn't budge and started pulling him backwards untill them chains got tight on the ramps and them spikes dug in..boy then it was on! Winched me right on out while I left the machine in gear w/ very little throttle. Awesome setup..but prob a 300 service call :Banghead But..whaddya do when its 3:45 and you get off work at 4:30 and nothing you have on hand will pull it out ointhead

  278. #2783fognight2009-06-02 05:41

    Great pics,i should put in a few of my own,however,lost footage of such events is encouraged.

  279. #279JonesBros2009-06-08 22:13

    by popular demand Had to call him again today (been really wet around here and its hard to do any work) So rather than drive 25 minutes and stop everything from the hourly pay and go the shop, load another machine, chain down, drive to the pit, unchain & unload, then risk breaking chains.. we just called him again. This is what happens when an operator listens to a person of a higher authority who doesn't work for the company and doesn't have to foot the bill. I don't have any pics of him stuck at the moment but i've got one action pic and 3 of the tank retriever. The operator was pushing dirt down the hill to close out the pit permanently and the sup. said to go to the bottom and that's what he did, sluffed off and got stuck.

  280. #280JDOFMEMI2009-06-08 22:53

    Got to love the seat in that truck. My back hurts just looking at it. Nice action shots.

  281. #281JonesBros2009-06-08 23:39

    I could have gotten better ones though By the time i took the 3 of the truck he had already got him unstuck.. But your right, that seat looks like it'd do a number on your posture! I'm going to try and find one of these rigs and buy it!

  282. #282JDOFMEMI2009-06-09 00:43

    Here is one, but I think you can find one a little more well used for a bit less. http://www.ironplanet.com/jsp/s/item/213981?h=405,2608 I seen one out here a year or so ago for 10K. It looked a lot like the one in your pictures

  283. #283Construct'O2009-06-09 18:03

    Don't look like the tank retrivers i was around when i was in the Army? Ours were 90ton plus machines(M90 i believe,been awhile ) used to retrive M60(60 ton)tanks:usa

  284. #284JonesBros2009-06-09 18:07

    Not sure if that's what its used for but thats what its always been called. Jerry, that unit looks to be in tip top shape! To bad the price is that high for something only to use when you get stuck.

  285. #285Construct'O2009-06-09 19:03

    M88 Here's the one was thinking of!:usa

  286. #286Wolfcsm2009-06-10 04:23

    The truck in the pictures is an M816 Wrecker. Here is just a bit of information on it; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M816_Wrecker Certainly not a tank retiever. The M88 family is still the tank retrever in use today. Although it has gone through several upgrades to be able to work with the M1A2SEP tank, now in the force. Here is some info on it; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M88_Recovery_Vehicle Hal

  287. #287JonesBros2009-06-10 18:35

    Hal, thanks for clearing that up. It may not be a tank retriever but it certainly does the job on heavy equipment!

  288. #288Wolfcsm2009-06-11 04:17

    Oh, they are great! Can pull a LOT of weight. Have seen them setting the pac (engine - AVDS 1790/ transmission CD 850) on tanks. A real workhorse. Hal

  289. #289cps2009-06-11 13:44

    Found this Terex O&K RH340 on the net.

  290. #290cps2009-06-11 13:58

    Not really stuck! Not really stuck' but not going anywhere soon!

  291. #291youngoperator2009-06-11 16:20
  292. #292WColtharp2009-06-11 16:30

    Any idea what the story is behind the shovel in the rain next to the grounded helicopter and man without clothes?

  293. #293Hendrik2009-06-11 18:13

    Somebody must a used to much bang powder.

  294. #294ben46a2009-06-11 18:26

    If memory serves they were getting it out of a flooding mine site.

  295. #295insleyboy2009-06-11 21:06

    Looks as if the man has an undersized speedo Wcoltharp.

  296. #296JonesBros2009-06-11 21:44

    I don't think the term "lets get something bigger and hook onto it" will work to easily on that Terex.. That guy behind the helicopter is kinda creepy.

  297. #297willie592009-06-11 22:22

    Hey Stock, had something similar happen to me. I was drilling horizontal drains in the walls of an open pit Lithium mine in North Carolina. I was working on the 600 ft level, they were mining at the 800 ft level. At 4:30 everyday, they let off the shot to break material for the next days work. I had worked there for a week without incident. I was on my last hole and was tripping out the drill rod to install the PVC drain pipe and I would be done. Got down to the last 2 drill rods in the rock when the horn went off. Darn it, have to leave the pit. The shot went off...and it was a big one. Got back to my rig...rocks all over the place! All over the drill rig, couple of big chunks on top of the 900 Ingersoll compressor, even had a small boulder smack dab in the middle of my seat at the back of the drill. Worst part, it busted my 250 ft long PVC drain pipe that was on the ground ready to install into about 10 pieces. What a way to finish a job.

  298. #298stock2009-06-12 05:22

    I didn't do it honest!!!!

  299. #299AtlasRob2009-06-12 18:24

    Its the operator that swam out to save the exc. Written on the counterweight is " my other ride is a little Bell " ( helicopter ) He stripped off to the speedo's to save getting his overalls wet. well thats my take on it :beatsme

  300. #300willie592009-06-12 20:23

    Aww shucks, and I was certain you had something to do with it.

  301. #301WColtharp2009-06-14 19:13

    Cheers for the laugh!!:drinkup.. That would be an interesting ride trying to get that monster out of a flooded mine!

  302. #302diggerop2009-06-15 05:45

    This happened at Ensham , an open cut coal mine in Queensland, Australia in early 2008 when there were floods in that area. A lot of stuff went under including a dragline. It has since been rebuilt and is back working.

  303. #303diggerop2009-06-15 05:57

    Some more as the water caught the dragline. The water undercut the dragline and caused it to lean, but it ended up sitting fairly level. Here's a link to a news report at that time. http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=AU&hl=en-GB&v=g_EupbS_JfE And a link to another forum that a lot of you will find interesting. http://www.stripmine.org/cgi-bin/an...=ab=-/index.html?cmd=retr&vf=aW5kZXguaHRtbA== :drinkup:drinkup:drinkup

  304. #304MrKomatsu2009-06-15 06:56

    Them dang ole Short tracks will get ya every time.....LGP rulez.....

  305. #305MrKomatsu2009-06-15 07:44

    Poor Komatsu.......

  306. #306MrKomatsu2009-06-15 07:47

    :usaNice pics..........

  307. #307assocpowertrain2009-06-16 12:00

    Wow these pics are nuts!

  308. #308jgivens2009-06-16 12:13

    Couple more for ya

  309. #309MrKomatsu2009-06-16 12:16

    great pics...thanks..i have a few ..4 u

  310. #310Hendrik2009-06-16 17:53

    I like their optimism, a couple of blokes (presumably one is in speedos) with a shovel trying to dig out a Cat. Don't these people know that Cats don't like water? Question is why did they go there in the first place, I am assuming these pictures are of the same site except for the case.

  311. #311MrKomatsu2009-06-16 17:56

    thanks i'm trying to gather a few for ev1...have so many.....

  312. #312jmacrust2009-06-19 07:42

    Holy cow. I'd like to see how in the world they got those out of there! Especially the sinking Cat. Stuck my Komatsu up to the gas cap, but the engine was sitting at an incline where it would run! That Cat ain't running anywhere!

  313. #313AustinPSD2009-07-01 17:44

    Here are a couple from me from recent blunders. In the first shot, from my cell phone camera I was working on turning over gravel riverbank to control vegetation growth. I'd made several passes, having successfully turned the machine at the end of each pass to reverse direction. On the fifth pass and turn, the machine corkscrewed into the bank, sinking up to the top of the tracks in what seemed like the blink of an eye. We were able to use a Cat 930H wheel-loader and chain to pull the D3G out easily. The second pair of shots are from another blunder about a week later - not as dramatic, the person shooting the photos was leery of getting too close. This time, while pushing a large boulder, while atop what I thought was solid rock I had my footing roll underneath the machine. It ended up high-centered on a boulder about half as big as the D3G itself. Both tracks were off the ground, and the blade couldn't be tilted down far enough to lever backward/up off the obstacle. The same crew came to my rescue again, using the Cat 930H loader to assist. We tried pushing it off in the forward direction, towing it off using chains, and ultimately ended up using the loader blade to push the machine off the rock in reverse.

  314. #314dozerdave2009-07-01 23:45

    That Komatsu 3000 reminds me of a shot that was put off in the spillway for the Oroville Dam. It put a Quad 9 and an 88B shovel out of commisson for a while. Yeah, that was the powder bosses last shift.

  315. #315Tigerotor77W2009-07-02 11:44

    Why is the exhaust bent?

  316. #316AustinPSD2009-07-02 18:21

    I haven't replaced it yet About ten days ago, I was pushing over a very large, dead live oak in one of the areas I was clearing. The machine is not forestry-equipped, no sweeps, no other protective structures between the front of the machine and ROPS, and I don't have a tree spear/pusher... just the vanilla D3G. When the tree came down, the upper third of it broke off. I was still moving forward, and that section came down on top of the stack, bending it back toward the cab. I was lucky, and yes the machine should be equipped with sweeps, a forestry cab, and for trees taller than about 15' - 20', probably a tree spear/pusher. The stack is off the machine, at a local muffler shop to straighten on a mandrel.

  317. #317Tigerotor77W2009-07-02 22:31

    Ah -- I wasn't sure if it was an intentional mod.

  318. #318EZ TRBO2009-08-30 17:19

    Nothing spectactular here...Just was doing some clearing below one of the plants, to set up a portable plant and they had a spot that years ago they had dug out to keep the water from running down to the highway. Of course it silted in and was over grown with weeds and such and no one mentioned it too me...TIL AFTER I GOT STUCK. Wasn't really a big deal, dug out to the draw bar and hooked on with the loader to pull me out. Loader operator asked if i was really stuck, cause he said he had barely started to pull and i was going on my own. There was a sharp wall of hard stuff and I just couldn't get back to it..once I did the tracks grabed traction and out I was. Not a big deal. Trbo

  319. #319TiminIN2009-08-31 21:36

    WOW!! Liked the antenna comparision.

  320. #320N.CarolinaDozer2009-08-31 21:47

    Looks like that Dresser needs some new shoes!

  321. #321JDOFMEMI2009-09-01 02:54

    Turbo You mean you did not keep trying untill it was stuck up to the floor plates? If you would have, then the loader operator would have known you were stuck. lol

  322. #322bill onthehill2009-09-01 05:46

    you gotta love that smeary loam! it is about like pig fat for traction when it gets a little wet. Smart to stop right away and get a pull.

  323. #323Tenspot2009-09-01 11:21

    Thats good

  324. #324EZ TRBO2009-09-01 18:52

    NCD, take all the mud off it and there is still a fair bit of cleat left, really I'm amazed myself cause them shoes have over 20K hours on them, but most has been on dirt. JD, I guess does that mean I am getting a bit older? Instead of back and forth and getting more stuck I just tried twice and then just called to have the loader come over from the sand pit. Bill, thanks like i said must mean I'm getting older or wiser as well. Trbo

  325. #325Geoff20092009-09-10 09:23

    Wow Some really crazy pictures in this thread. Makes me think that you better know what your getting yourself into before its to late.

  326. #326ds7472009-09-18 13:20

    Do you need another 930H Wheel loader. We have one Call 888 233 9678

  327. #327gary8082009-10-09 01:36

    http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w167/gary13b/rfffffffff.jpg cant seem to post the pic so here's the link . its a d8 that fell into a lava tube on the bigisland of hawaii when it was ripping the lot .....little over a yea later we had the job to prep the mile of road that the same tube crosses and we just about collapsed it with one of our compactors . its pretty common here to see or hear about a machine falling in a tube because they are every where .

  328. #328stock2009-10-09 04:01

    here the picture gary

  329. #329Dozerboy2009-10-10 22:05

    Thats not cool. How bad does a operator get hurt after a fall like that?

  330. #330N.CarolinaDozer2009-10-10 22:34

    That isn't bad, let me drive that thing out of there!

  331. #331gary8082009-10-13 02:42

    thanks for posting it .....but they get hurt pretty bad ,allot end up with neck and back injuries.a few operators died from the fall or the machine falling on them but that's pretty rare .....i have a few more pics somewhere of that incident about 50 feet in every direction the ground is only about 1 and a half feet thick. that cave the dozer fell into is the longest lava tube in the world ....it runs from the top of the mountain all the way to the ocean

  332. #332BigIron252009-10-13 11:12

    Thats nuts gary808 the ground under the machine is only like a foot-foot and a half deep!!! How do you guys not worry about falling in these all the time? I would have some permanent pucker factor.

  333. #333gary8082009-10-13 15:57

    we always are worried about droping a machine in ......but its just a risk you have to take working over here ,......on our bigger older machines we installed seat belts on all of them and make sure the rops are in good shape ......but yeah its not a good feeling when you se the ground around your machine start shaking and all the trees shaking when you drop the ripper . even our bomag 213 compactor on some job's when the compactor would be turned on and the ground would bounce like 5 inches in about a 20 or 30 foot circle .........and the operator has a look on his face like he just **** himself ....before he can get it to shut off .

  334. #334JDOFMEMI2009-10-14 12:09

    I have seen similar things in the old mining districts. Sometimes the old miners would tunnel in, then "Glory Hole" which is to keep caving the roof in and hauling it out the tunnel. Done in the old days with Chinese labor who were easily replaceable. No OSHA back then. Most of the time, these glory holes would come clear to the surface, but I remember finding some that just came close. We would drill and shoot, then push forward with dozers as far as you could, then drill and shoot again. Once, after pushing out a good ways with the available muck from the last blast, we took the drill out and started the next pattern. 18" of rock and the drill steel went into open space. We retreated to the last shot, drilled some more holes and shot it, and the hole that opened up was over 200 ft deep. The hole was shaped like a giant upside down pear, and was 150 to 200 ft accross at the widest. I bet the tunnel rats never knew how close they were to breaking through. I was sure glad the rock was strong, or it would have been a hard landing with the D-8

  335. #335LuNaTIcFrEAk2009-10-14 13:40

    Some interesting ones

  336. #336LuNaTIcFrEAk2009-10-14 13:42

    Sorry if these have been posted before

  337. #337Tigerotor77W2009-10-14 14:41

    Wow... some scary stuff there!

  338. #338BigIron252009-10-14 14:46

    yeah... I would have straight Sh*# my pants in a few of those.

  339. #339DPete2009-10-14 15:23

    RE: dozer in the hole. Now that could make a guy paranoid. RE The empty haul truck. Bet the driver thought it was all over and is glad to be alive.

  340. #340pigdog2009-10-20 00:26

    Dang!!!... That dozer in the water looks like my first Jeep!! Man I tortured that vehicle.. seriously that thing is in nasty condition!

  341. #341nedly052009-10-20 01:55

    I almost did just looking at the pictutres!

  342. #342stock2009-10-24 15:17

    While surfing I found these,

  343. #343stock2009-10-24 15:19
  344. #344stock2009-11-19 07:58

    Now for the big boys Down under

  345. #345stock2009-11-19 08:00

    Dumptrucks upside down - down under! Here we go with some more fantastic photos from our resident man down under Gary Steen. Details about how this incident happned are sketchy but it looks like the Caterpillar 785B dumptruck has mounted the bank with a full load on and that has caused it to flip over! Bearing in mind that a Cat 785B is in the 150 ton weight bracket and has a top speed in the region of 34 mph it must of been a very scary moment for the operator! In this series of photos we see the results of a thermal blowout that occured at the Lihir gold mine in Papua New Guinea which had devastating effects on the equipment in the surrounding area! These two massive machines which include a Caterpillar dumptruck and a 525 ton O&K face shovel with a 26m bucket on it appear to have been tossed around like toys by the force of the blowout. This open-pit mine is in an active geothermal area within a collapsed volcanic crater that has been breached on the eastern side by the ocean. The groundwater temperatures in the mine area are generally above 60oC, creating a technically challenging mining environment. And finally an impressive overview shot of the Lihir open-pit gold mine which commenced operations in mid-1997. It must be a very tough place to work in. This was taken from else where on the web

  346. #346tonka2009-11-19 08:09

    Stuck D9 in sugar sand

  347. #34790plow2009-11-19 22:33

    story was vandalism I believe. I saw those pics on 411tow forum.

  348. #348cornishcase2009-11-21 06:07

    Oh Wow! You know Gary too!!! How long have you known him?

  349. #349Holger2009-11-23 02:59

    Would you mind giving credits to the original author and link to the orignal webpage? http://www.contractjournal.com/blogs/digger-blog/2009/11/dumptrucks_upside_down_-_down.html

  350. #350stock2009-11-23 04:49

    Welcome there Holger, I take it you the know the CJ is finished,and I didn't take credit for it only for finding it

  351. #351Holger2009-11-23 04:57

    :waving I know, Stock. CJ might continue in other ways, stay tuned.:wink2

  352. #352stock2009-11-23 05:14

    Holger what you at?

  353. #353cornishcase2009-11-23 12:43

    Hi! Holger thanks for [posting that link to Digger blog - what a great blog!! that guy tells it from the heart!! Without wishing to stir up a hornets nest it would seem that Stock has posted alot of VERY similar articles on this forum to those that appear on Digger blog..... Lets hope the Digger blog acts like a phoenix from the CJ ashes!!! I would be well miffed if someone plagarised my material without acknowledging its source..... That how copyright issues start.... Its common decency to credit where matrial has come from especially when its copies word for word!!!

  354. #354qball2009-11-23 13:44

    would an up-side down truck down -under be right-side up?

  355. #355AtlasRob2009-11-23 15:33

    Two new visitors, well one long time member who hasnt posted for a very long time due to his commitments elsewhere, and a new member, we must be doing something right stock. lol. To use a Jim Davison expression, Nick, Nick, is that you. LOL.

  356. #356d4c24a2009-11-23 15:51

    i wondered the same Rob

  357. #357cornishcase2009-11-24 03:36

    What??? Nope - wrong gender for a start boys!!

  358. #358stock2009-11-24 05:06

    So you persons sharpening sticks for Stock?

  359. #359JDOFMEMI2009-11-24 10:46

    I for one have appreciated much material posted by Stock. I would not have seen it if he hadn't posted it here. I know that it would be proper to give credit if something posted comes from another source, and a link would be good, but in this internet age, there are many who do not follow this, and most just by not knowing what is right. Some just forget while getting caught up in sharing as good story. Due to the quality of discussion that goes with the posts made by Stock, I would give him the benefit of not thinking he was trying to slight someone. If Stock was one to just post things, but not add to the quality of the discussion, it may not look that way, but he has shared a great deal of knowledge that could only come with personal experience. We would all be poorer without the contributions he has made. With that said, everyone please give credit where credit is due.

  360. #360cornishcase2009-11-24 12:32

    Only so you get the point Stock!

  361. #361stock2009-11-24 17:40

    JDOFMEMI I am extremely humbled by your sentiments, I would consider it a disservice on my part not to be able to share some of my hard gleaned experience and steer some one on the right track,I am not infallible and do make mistakes,you lads have shown and taught me a lot for which I am truly thankful,so think kindly of me. J I am going to cut and paste you post and put it up in the office framed. :notworthy:notworthy:drinkup Cornishcase you wouldn't have a list of ingredients to post in TGIF for some pasties???

  362. #362tonka2009-11-24 18:33

    JDOFMEMI Well said!!!

  363. #363willie592009-11-24 19:18

    Agreed! :notworthy

  364. #364cornishcase2009-11-25 12:45

    Hahahaha.... Stock you are hilarious! Yes of course I have numerous pasty recipes but none that a neanderthal like you could follow without help from an adult...

  365. #365Hendrik2009-11-25 17:01

    Not sure if this has been posted before http://www.finaltrim.com.au/news.php?c=5

  366. #366stock2009-11-25 17:04

    Me a knuckle dragger never !!!! Have my tongue nearly bit off.

  367. #367AtlasRob2009-11-26 12:48

    Maybe, but I havent seen it before if it has. A few of the pictures are familiar but plenty of new ones to me. Thanks for the laugh at other folks Ooops!

  368. #368CinOK2009-11-26 14:23

    I just went through this thread with my boys 11/12 over my shoulder there where quite afew holy craps and plenty of he stuck that thing better then you stuck our dozer. Dont have any pics ov mine stuck I deleted them so the wife wouldnt use them. But at least the kids saw that other peopel can screw up to.

  369. #369Digga Dave2009-12-12 03:33

    In relation to the post of pics, from CPS of Ireland, maybe I can shed some light on the details of the picture. The picture in question (page 20 of this thread) is of a man walking away from a helicopter in the rain, with a RH340 excavator in the background. The photos were taken at an open cut coal mine in Ensham - Queensland, Australia in early 2008 after extreme flooding rain. The same flooding rain were responsible for the "drowning of DL1" ( D rag L ine 1 ). The man walking away from the helicopter is (I believe so anyway) Clive Palmer - one of the richest men in Australia - he would of flown in himself. The RH340 belongs to Leighton holdings which would of been contracted to provide "Heavy plant" for the mining operation.

  370. #370Digga Dave2009-12-12 03:38

    The story goes something like this.......The open cut mine was isolated by flood waters, so operators were flown in by helicopter to try and walk machinery to the safety of higher ground. As the pictures show sometimes this worked and other times.......well it just didn't!

  371. #371difcodriver2010-03-12 17:27

    da joys of water an soft conditions in ireland dey got da volvo up by a winch an da o&k is buried there wit years!rip

  372. #372stock2010-03-13 03:59

    that was Mcnamaras first excursion into bridge building and the road still is not opened yet.

  373. #373wmeineke2010-03-16 02:29

    Very Interesting indeed..

  374. #374difcodriver2010-03-16 17:12

    i heard that alrite stock,i heard da hard shoulder is fallin awy down der!

  375. #375stock2010-03-17 12:20

    this is an attempt to cross a bog close to where the 460 Volvo sank these are 11m piles that were driven 3 deep this much is left above ground this mat of steel. this amount of concrete about 700mm

  376. #376AndyGrevis2010-03-19 10:19

    Another stucko not really HE, but stuck anyways so, here it goes AN26 with DHL cargo crash-landing on lake, nearby Tallin airport. They were about to land in Tallin, when one of landing gears did not open, they tried to resume altitude, but then engine craped out, and they crashed on nearby lake. we have a movement hmm, looks a bit smallish to me moro pics here: http://foto.delfi.lv/album/49122/?page=1 it becomes really interesting from page 4

  377. #377WColtharp2010-03-23 15:29

    Wow, that must be a nasty bog if that much work is going into it to allow crossing. Has the crossing been attempted yet? If so, what was the outcome?

  378. #3782stickbill2010-03-23 16:02

    785B I think the driver just revved it up a dumped the clutch and that ol Cat done a back flip.

  379. #379stock2010-03-24 04:47

    They tell me that bog is the wrong term for it it actually is a peat lake...and they are still working on it ...

  380. #380Deeretime2010-03-25 05:12

    This is my solution for when my old foreman pulled the thrust block off of a 16" water main that he was exposing, while we were laying sewer line. Needless to say it floated all of our pipe and we lost a day.

  381. #381cart'n'stones2010-04-27 18:23

    This Thread sure show's we are all only human and this can happen to the best of them!

  382. #382monster truck2010-04-29 20:02

    Heres a pretty good stuck with a little story behind it. I was the full time operator of this D-9L and had been pushing on this particular cut and carry operation for about two weeks with no problems. Then one fine day the grader man didnt show up and I got bumped up to the grader seat. I was happy to be back in the grader cab flyin down the haul road turning potholes into dust and pretty happy to see that my dozer was getting to rest under a nice shade tree as well (she deserved it). But then about lunch time all the fun would come to an end when the powers that be had decided that my dozer just couldnt sit any longer. Sooo, old man Jim (the guy in the green shirt), who normaly ran the D-8 keeping the scraper cut in shape, got told that he would take over the sticks in my dozer until the grader man came back. As we ate our lunch I warned old man Jim (the guy in the green shirt) that it was really soft at the end of the push and that it was best to bridge your way over it. But old man Jim (the guy in the green shirt) had been running equipment since before there was equipment and he wasnt about to take advise from some punk kid. He politely informed me, as most old timers do, that he knew damn well what he was doing on a dozer and that it would be best for me to only open my mouth as much as I needed to finish my sandwich. So I did as I was told by the friendly senior citizen known as old man Jim (the guy in the green shirt) and went back to work on my road smoothin machine. I made one lap on the haul road waving at all the scraper hands and ADT drivers as they are always happy to see the blade running down thier little trail, and when I get back to the dozer cut I see my baby (Bertha as she was known by most) sunk to the floor boards in the exact spot that I had warned old man Jim (the guy in the green shirt) about! Now when I am assigned a machine I see it as MINE and treat it as such, so I was slightly irritated at the sight of MY baby buried to the cab in a mud hole. I got out of my pothole killin machine and went over to asses the situation. I arrive to old man Jim (the guy in the green shirt) calmly telling me that if I say one word he would render me unable to speak again. I was followed shortly after by our very understanding foreman who thought it best to scream and yell until smoke started spewing from his ears, then point at me and say "it's your dozer, you f%#king deal with it." Needless to say, when the biggest machine on the job gets stuck your not going to have an easy time pulling it out, especially with the suction that this mud had. After some digging with the john deere 892 and the rigging of many cables and chains I turned loose the full horsepower of one D-8K, three 30 ton ADTs, one 980C loader, one 892 excavator and of course Bertha herself helped in the fight. With many pops and groans of steal and more black smoke than you have ever seen Bertha finally started to creep forward until she was under her own power again. After much celebration I sent the various vehichles back to thier assigned duties and let the bossman know that we were back in business. I then got back to my road fixen ways and proceeded on with my day. After a couple hours I ventured back up to the dozer cut to check on things and make sure that all machines were above ground. To my suprise I arrived to see that Bertha was nowhere in sight! Using some indian tracking skills that have been handed down through the family I managed to follow the muddy cleat prints all the way back to the shop, about a half mile away. When I get to the shop I was really happy to find that my baby was being allowed to take a nap.... on the wash rack while old man Jim (the guy in the green shirt) was shoveling out her tracks! I finished the rest of my day with a smile on my face, maybe the bossman isnt so bad after all...

  383. #383prenn1984@gmail2010-04-30 14:12

    Awesome story monster truck!

  384. #384Madmark732010-04-30 20:42

    797 having a rest

  385. #385Madmark732010-04-30 21:52

    793 playing stuck in the mud

  386. #386JDOFMEMI2010-05-01 01:01

    Monster Truck Love the story. I just love how the old hands don't want to listen to anyone younger, even if they know what they are talking about. Looks like the old man got schooled on a shovel for his efforts.

  387. #387monster truck2010-05-01 02:15

    Yep, just goes to show you that your never too good to learn or take advise from someone. He spent the rest of that day and all of the next cleaning that dozer, it was looking pretty good by the time I got it back a couple days later.

  388. #388JimBruce422010-05-01 10:21

    hmm... note to self when I get old, don't wear a green shirt. Great story Monster Truck:drinkup

  389. #389Hendrik2010-05-01 19:20

    So is that you with orange singlet, crying because your little baby is stuck in the mud Or where you taking pics to hang in the smoko room

  390. #390monster truck2010-05-02 23:42

    No im the one taking the picture, the guy in the orange shirt was the loader operator on the site. Orange shirt good... green shirt bad

  391. #391Madmark732010-05-03 02:37

    Cat Stuck... Here is a Cat in some serious trouble...Squashed... Moderator Edit - Picture removed, not really what HEF is about.

  392. #392AtlasRob2010-05-03 09:29

    LMFAO, Brilliant, love it. :beerchug I'll second that Jim, especially with camera phones, one slipup and your a you tube hit before you get home. I'll try and remember that :cool2

  393. #393Lexy2010-05-03 10:53

    I haven't gone through the whole thread, but does a 200 foot tall Marion Power Shovel laying over on its side count as being stuck??? This happened in my hometown in the mid 80's at Peabody Coal Company's Gibraltar Surface Mine. This is a Marion 5761-M Shovel. Scrapped on the spot. It was deadheading to a new pit and walked up onto some "mats" that were placed over a muddy area. Well, as it walked onto the mats, the weight shifted and it took 20 minutes to fall over. The last photo is a picture of the shovel walking prior to falling over on that same haul road.

  394. #394AmerIndependent2010-05-03 10:59

    Ouch. Scrapped on the spot, what a bummer. That unit does look pretty top heavy.

  395. #395Lexy2010-05-03 14:55

    It is top heavy. With an overall height of over 160 feet, a boom length around 210 feet, it was large for a 5761.

  396. #396Lexy2010-05-06 15:04

    Here's a better overall shot of the machine on its side.

  397. #397trainwreck2010-05-06 20:03

    i bet that was one hell of a ride.

  398. #398JDOFMEMI2010-05-10 11:42

    I bet somebody had a lot of explaining to do about why they did not make the road wider and mores stable. Looks like they didn't think it through all the way. That machine is around 4,000 tons or so if I remember right. Takes a pretty good road to hold it all up.

  399. #399doobie2010-05-11 18:36

    this thread is great! thanks for the pics!

  400. #400Lexy2010-05-18 22:35

    Well, there are alot of "Conspiracy Theories" still floating around the county about it. I won't go into it, but it was a horrible mess. Thankfully nobody was hurt in this. It happened back around 1984 in my hometown in Muhlenberg County, Kentucky. Right outside of Central City, Kentucky. The shovel was a hard worker for Gibraltar Surface Mine and Peabody got alot of good time out of it. This is something during the age of giant power shovels that you think will NEVER happen and lo-and-behold it did. I remember my dad driving me past it after it happened, and I remember being so scared to see it. It made me happy to see the Marion 5960 over at my dad's mine (River Queen Surface Mine) still standing upright and digging away like a real worker should be!!

  401. #401upbrakie2010-05-24 12:24

    Here's a shot I took of a Cat 14H Grader that got stuck in a soft spot on an access road to a new construction highway bridge. Ames Construction was the contractor. This happened about 2 years ago. I stopped along side the poor fella and he kinda shrugged his shoulders, I reached for a camera to take the shot and he started laughing! As we pulled away we can see an excavator coming to the rescue.

  402. #402AmerIndependent2010-05-24 13:05

    That's awesome. It looks like it's missing it's back wheels! :laugh

  403. #403Mr NL2010-05-27 16:10

    on this site are pictures of stuck equipment in the Netherlands always fun to see.... http://www.vastgereden.nl/mediabaseindex/image

  404. #404plantman.uk2010-06-24 15:09

    look at the picture of the komatsu 65 and the volvo.....how is he gonna pull that outta there with his bucket on the blade and all that ****e around the 65s tracks?

  405. #405BarnStarFarm2010-07-05 14:40

    @ Monster Truck- you, sir, are a story-tellin' man! We are all still giggling and we got thru the post 1/2 hour ago. Thank you! @Lexy- that's just... sad.

  406. #406Dusty Roads2010-07-05 16:26

    Just Following Orders I told the superintendent it wouldn't go anywhere like he thought it would,he was under the impression that because it was an rough terrain it would make it ...This is the result!! :Banghead

  407. #4072stickbill2010-07-05 22:37

    It is a rough terrain not wet boggy terrain.

  408. #408stock2010-07-06 03:37

    Some mothers do have 'em.............

  409. #409bofts2010-07-06 12:50

    These pictures are amazing

  410. #410Autocar2010-07-06 19:03

    Man A Live ! Looks to me like a fellow would just about shoot the fellow that got some of them in that mess.

  411. #411Dusty Roads2010-07-06 20:47

    hehehe Don't blame me I told him there was no way I was gonna make it to where he wanted but he said "hey it's 4 wheel drive I think you can do it":beatsme Course he was one that thought the harder you slammed the bucket on the excavator the deeper it would go in the rocky ditch,got a routine going where you had the excavator rocking and slam the bucket as hard as possible and he would just give a big grin and thumbs up A great guy to work for but hell on equipment!!

  412. #412marty2010-07-07 02:12

    here is a few for yas same loader, same operator same day, drove into where the spreader got bogged and then drove into a levee bank after 30mm of rain the day before

  413. #413OneWelder2010-07-07 14:47

    Probably should promote to supervisor

  414. #414Dozerboy2010-07-08 17:52

    At least... Are those rippers on the back?

  415. #415marty2010-07-09 02:13

    yeah they are, i wouldn't have a loader without them they are made by lewis group which are part of gessner industries www.gessner.com.au , very well built, i gave those a caining in gravel and they never looked like giving up

  416. #416cummins052010-07-10 12:43

    A ripper for a loader never thought of that combo before.

  417. #417xcavator1202010-07-11 02:30

    Ditto, that's a new one. I know it wouldn't work on our old L90c. That thing is so power-less, trying to drag the rippers through dry sand would stall it..

  418. #418nickbowers2010-07-11 04:17

    and to think those machines are coming to an auction near you.

  419. #419marty2010-07-11 06:45

    that 90B used to pull 3 rippers up to the hilt very well, and as i said, in gravel, the only time it pulled up was when it was getting hot, 1st gear bout half revs and it would pull through anything

  420. #420marty2010-07-11 06:53

    it may not look much, but that machine was with me for about 90% of the time and it was well looked after, if i had the chance to buy it i would

  421. #421AussieChris2010-07-19 01:38

    I found this one on the internet. I don't think it's been shown here yet and I don't know who owns the pic or what happened (I'm guessing the tide came in!). Chris Brisbane Australia.

  422. #4229420pullpan2010-07-19 17:15

    I believe that was the PC1100 in NJ last year....

  423. #423tonka2010-07-19 19:53

    this happened 3/29/06, this pic is two weeks later 4/13/06

  424. #424EGS2010-07-19 20:24

    What ever happened to it Tonka?

  425. #425tonka2010-07-19 20:27

    um don't know found that on the net, on some fishing forum...lol couldnt find anymore info tho....

  426. #426Beachbum02862010-07-20 05:37

    It happened in avalon, nj. It took them a couple months to get it out, eventually they dug as much as they could out and them started taking it apart. They even went as far to take the house off the tracks. Everything went right to the scrap yard!

  427. #427[-Agent-]2010-07-20 15:05

    These are some pics I got from a friend that works at the FD. Their swift water rescue helped hook up some of the lines for recovery. I heard he was along a path and somehow starting sliding down the side into the green river.

  428. #428AussieChris2010-07-26 19:14

    I don't know if you've seen this before. It happened in Sydney Australia not so long back. This is a brand new (9 days old) 30 tonne capacity mobile crane with a GVM of 29 tonnes and a 47m boom. Looks nice eh?

  429. #429AussieChris2010-07-26 19:16

    It was parked on an 8 inch thick concrete slab. Problem started when the boom was fully extended and the slab broke...

  430. #430AussieChris2010-07-26 19:19

    The crane balanced there for about an hour until more of the slab broke. I guess it's really stuck now...

  431. #431stinkycat2010-07-26 21:27

    I would say that no one did a floor safe loading calc. I would also guessed that they would have cribbed the floor. But what do I know?

  432. #432m6302010-07-27 01:57

    alot of washing to do there

  433. #433thebaz2010-08-02 07:39

    Found this article on the incident. Excavator Freed After 2 months, workers dig out excavator stuck on Avalon beach By JOHN CURRAN Associated Press Writer June 12, 2006, 6:25 PM EDT AVALON, N.J. -- A 150-ton excavator that got stuck on a beach while working on a seawall project was finally freed Monday after work crews removed parts to lighten it. Just after 5 p.m., a giant construction crane lifted the excavator up and out of the place it sat for more than two months. Onlookers cheered and workmen at the site were seen hugging each other. The excavator, operated by a contractor working on an Army Corps of Engineers beach project, became mired on the seashore along Townsends Inlet on March 28 and was subsequently buried in sand as the seawater from succeeding tides inundated it. For weeks, all that was visible was an exhaust pipe and the arm of the excavator. Previous attempts to remove it have been thwarted, turning the site into a sort of accidental tourist attraction with locals and shore visitors alike lining Ocean Drive to watch the progress of the work _ or lack thereof. "You have to see it to believe it," said Dennis Maguire, 54, of neighboring Sea Isle City, watching from his parked van Monday afternoon. "It's very interesting." The Corps project, to build a seawall protecting the northern end of Avalon from the eroding effects of the ocean, was nearing completion when the excavator got stuck. "It's a mess," said Mike Johnson, 66, of Ocean City, standing on a seawall with his wife to watch. "It's like when you stand in the sand and your feet keep sinking." Residents of Avalon, a tony summer resort south of Atlantic City, and neighboring Sea Isle City turned excavator-watching into a spectator sport. They showed up with cameras in hand, some bringing small children to watch the work. Many returned day after day. "I want to get a closer look," said Gus Schrevelius, 5, holding the hand of his mother, Liz Schrevelius, as they stood on the seawall watching Monday

  434. #434BarnStarFarm2010-08-02 13:10

    Kind of an expensive tourist attraction!

  435. #435Madmark732010-08-04 04:38

    Now this is Stuck!

  436. #436aongheas.macask2010-08-04 16:13

    Yep thats stuck,really stuck

  437. #437cummins052010-08-05 10:56

    That don't look good for the operators health

  438. #438AtlasRob2010-08-14 17:32

    I could be wrong but rather hope that is a ................................. fake Something about that just dont look quite right, but as was proved with the Tonka toy in a puddle,............. or so I thought

  439. #439Madmark732010-08-15 03:35

    Definately not a fake mate...

  440. #440bigrus2010-08-16 05:35

    Good to see that the 'perpetrator of the crime' was made to clean your machine down as punishment

  441. #441Kman90902010-08-17 00:31
  442. #442cummins052010-08-17 00:59

    You would think the dozer could just drive out of that but somtimes you get sucked down in that mire good pics Kman any of these at your hands LOL

  443. #443thebaz2010-08-17 02:04

    This was capping off the slime pit from sand washings. Went to tip and the ground gave way. Then the hoist would not go down and the truck was sinking and about to tip over. Fortunately there was a 30ton excavator close and he emptied the body. The hoist went down pretty hard when the pressure was off. There was no bottom under that stuff. Baz

  444. #444Kman90902010-08-17 20:52

    The 6 my brother did

  445. #445D&GExcavating2010-09-16 12:04

    Here is the only Komatsu we ever owned. Got a little too close and slid into the river. This excavator tipped off of a lowboy trailer a few years later and it was never the same. Never had any power, and the dealership couldn't find the problem, so we sold it.

  446. #446Lexy2010-09-16 13:28

    Now that looks nasty!!

  447. #447dingo2010-09-18 22:35

    unreal pics!!!!!!

  448. #448Z'mnypit2010-09-20 13:45

    X2, some of these are insane

  449. #4492stickbill2010-09-22 19:39

    No fishing with the equipment.

  450. #450ziggy2010-10-06 11:49

    Bad day on the pipeline.The spread boss jumped on the hoe and went right into the ditch and allmost ruptured a 10 inch sour gas line,everyone just ran for their lives.

  451. #451stock2010-10-06 12:08

    So I take it he got "gardeners Leave"....................................

  452. #452ziggy2010-10-06 12:26

    Pee tests all around. If he would have ruptured the sour gas line he would have got permanent leave. That stuff kills you pretty fast,in seconds,thats why everyone ran.

  453. #453ziggy2010-10-06 12:45

    Here's an old stiffneck champion,i was filling in a plowed in water line when i found the bell hole.The second one was me checking the undercarriage of my d10. The funny thing is in over 20 years of strip mining in the mountains of B.C. Canada and hanging off the edge of mountaintops that I flipped my dozer backing over a 5 foot cut where I was slot dozing,I grabbed forward gear and the wrong steering clutch when it started to tilt.Getting out and trying to open the door was a major job,their very heavy in that position.

  454. #454ziggy2010-10-06 12:58

    Muskeg and mudpits in Northern Alberta.

  455. #455Dozerboy2010-10-06 20:37

    Nice pics Ziggy. I'm for once glad to say I don't have any of those experiences. Other then burying a blade like that.

  456. #456powerjoke2010-10-07 09:54

    what is "sour gas" ? Pj

  457. #457ziggy2010-10-07 10:11

    H2s,very prevalent in some of the Canadian western provinces and found in most natural gas deposits.

  458. #458jimrr2010-10-07 10:24

    i thot i'd seen some stuck equip. but this is on the richter scale! one can't wash this off with a fire hose and get back to work.

  459. #459ziggy2010-10-07 10:58

    Heres some info on cell cats,thats what I'm running now. No wonder we carry lifejackets in the dozers. http://forums.dhsdiecast.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=1107646

  460. #460ben46a2010-10-23 18:16

    What mine are you running at ziggy?

  461. #461ziggy2010-10-25 22:40

    I dont want to say right now as they dont like anyone posting pics. I have been at mines in B.C. and Nunavut but this is my first Alberta mine here in fort macnewfy. Got an offer to go back to a strip mine closer to home(half hour from my house) and be in my own bed every night for a change instead of this 1000 kilometer drive home every 18 days for 9 off so then I wont mind saying where most pics were taken at.

  462. #462bigrus2010-10-26 06:58

    Never let your guard down Early in my learner operator days of my career, I was told the banks that you'll fall off, are the low ones! The type that your "ring gear" isn't extremely tight when running along.

  463. #463Cats4me2010-10-28 19:53

    Cool Pics!

  464. #464ben46a2010-10-30 18:22

    Yeah basemines like that. weve rebuilt a few of their submarines.

  465. #465DirtHauler2010-10-30 18:56

    Driver pulled off the road to do something then went to pull back onto the road and found this uncompacted ditchline... This was a different project along our haul route. This was back in 2003 but still shows how looks can be decieving.

  466. #466DirtHauler2010-10-30 19:10

    Stuck under some wires, i eventually just gave up and drove under them and tore them the rest of the way down with the trailer :beatsme

  467. #467JDOFMEMI2010-10-30 20:11

    The Volvo in the mud pond is scary. What was the driver doing out past the berm? Those capping jobs are tough. Never know when the bottom is going to fall out on you. Bet that was a tough recovery.

  468. #468ziggy2010-11-02 11:04

    Dude,thats a snowcat,not a mudcat! Sometimes I just have to shake my head at some of the things engineers think up.

  469. #469Dozerboy2010-11-02 19:28

    So I guess your telling us snow is thicker then mud. Thats genius

  470. #470ziggy2010-11-03 07:18

    Not me that spent a 1/4 million dollars on each of those 12 snowcats to try get them to do the impossible,that would be the engineers. No one listens to us operators but then again....we're not paying the bills.

  471. #471580bruce2010-11-03 08:54

    Love the Scarcella trucks!

  472. #472ziggy2010-11-03 09:30

    Heres a few more pics of the komats 375a's in the tailings cells spreading Mature fine tailings.

  473. #473ziggy2010-11-03 09:49

    Heres an awesome video of some of the dangers in mining or just running the big iron. YouTube - Quarry's Crash YouTube - Quarry's Crash II YouTube - Quarry's Crash III

  474. #474ben46a2010-11-03 12:17

    At 1:52 int quarry crashes 3,that appears to be a 797, If its the one im thinking off it was a fatality.

  475. #475ziggy2010-11-03 12:27

    From the damage it allmost looks like he blew a left front driver tire unless the picture after it is the same truck.

  476. #476alco2010-11-03 18:22

    The truck 1:52 in the third video is a 93 or smaller. Look at the height of the door sill on the passenger's side, it's raised like a smaller truck, not floor level like a 97.

  477. #477ziggy2010-11-03 23:40

    The reason I asked is we had a 793 have an impact on the front driver as it left the shovel and it didnt blow untill it was below the cab,as there is only a few inches clearance, it blew the cab allmost off the truck and blew out the windows and seriously injured the operator. This was a first for this model Cat truck in their history and they were modified after this accident by Caterpillar. The force was equivelant to about 5 sticks of TNT under the cab.

  478. #478alco2010-11-03 23:52

    Ziggy, That could very well be what happened, I was just mentioning it was a different truck than Ben was thinking about. The tire incident, was it in the Elk Valley? I think I may know the guy involved.

  479. #479ziggy2010-11-03 23:59

    Yes,it was,line creek mine,just a kid. I was pushing rock to a shovel when it happened and despite the guys size all that came over the radio was a whisper..."I think I just broke my leg"He had to repeat himself on the radio a couple times. We got him out useing a loader and the image of the blood down the side of the truck still gives me goosebumps. If you do know him,tell him Ziggy said hello,he will know who it is. Small world

  480. #480alco2010-11-04 01:54

    I haven't seen him for years, and to be honest, I don't even remember his name. Last I saw him, he was working at the Napa in Okotoks as a partsman. I'm assuming it's the same guy, since he told me he was hurt a number of years before when the left front tire blew up through the floor of his truck. Poor guy could hardly walk when I knew him. Were you at Line Creek when the 789s got shipped down there from Alberta and Guy B. had his accident?

  481. #481ziggy2010-11-04 14:21

    Nope,I left a year after big blue took over,shortly after guys brother Mark punched out the mine manager.They were all on my crew. I think the young lads name was Jay S. and he got treated pretty bad after going on long term,when the takeover happened Fording got rid of everyone on long term by terminating them and saying that wasnt in their policy. We only had five 798's when I left and they were converted into coal haulers with modified boxes that had tailgates for coal that could be set on the canopy for rock. I remember trying to load one with a 992 when all the other diggers were down,I had to dig a hole for them to park in and a ramp for me to load them and I think it was 16 buckets to fill them. With the big leternou it took me about 4 or 5 buckets.

  482. #482DirtHauler2010-11-26 17:07

    Bump for some good stuff.

  483. #483wagspe2082010-11-28 00:46

    Stuck, wet, it sucks to be me this week. Wags Oh, BTW, this was a pond that had been drained a year ago. It was dry and I could drive all over it. I started digging and hit a soft spot. Got late, decided to get on it the following weekend (actually 3 days later) Rained 3.5 to 5" in 3 days and the results were this.

  484. #484amtronic2010-11-28 09:46

    Well get out there and back it on out!

  485. #485Deeretime2010-12-12 01:34

    Yup lots of fun too bad my shiny counter weight got coverd in mud

  486. #486Dozerboy2010-12-12 09:32

    Awww that ain't stuck you can still see a little of the track

  487. #487EGS2010-12-12 16:12

    Deeretime what is on the back window?

  488. #488Deeretime2010-12-12 21:47

    Window cover. Keeps my neck from turning red !

  489. #489Bumpsteer2010-12-13 23:15

    Dug these up, 'bout 3 years old. I told him to be carefull....you get back towards my property, there ain't no bottom. LOL, funny part was...it was a BRAND NEW rental machine. We overloaded the 'ol binder with sand, backed it in until it got stuck, used it as an anchor point. After shoving some busted up matts under the tracks, she had enough azz to pull herself out. Ed

  490. #490HSV1272010-12-31 22:40

    Stuck stuff, the tractor was me in the peat, the others were my workers.

  491. #491OldandWorn2011-09-11 10:21

    I used to ride my minibike in this park close to my house and caught these guys playing in the muck around 1965. I guess I went back home and got my dad’s camera. This was normally a small clean flowing creek but something had it all silted in like pancake batter. I think the machine is a 955 Traxcavator or a smaller model with an aftermarket hoe. I can't remember if they wanted to ring my little neck or if it was a "oh well, might as well get a picture moment." I do vaguely remember them suggesting that I try crossing it on my mini. :tong

  492. #492sino-john2011-09-20 04:48

    What a nice muddy bath! impressive.

  493. #493William Jeffrie2011-09-21 16:35

    What happened here? Sincerely, William Jefferie

  494. #494William Jeffrie2011-09-21 16:37

    Oops ^ Sincerely, William Jefferie

  495. #495willie592011-09-21 21:15

    William Jefferie, I have read over your other posts, they are borderline acceptable within the forum rules as you actually made a comment at other threads. But the last two posts you made at this thread make no comments relative to the subject of the thread, a total distraction, and nothing more than promotion of your website. In case you haven't read the forum rules, here's an excerpt from paragraph concerning forum solicitation and advertising. You are allowed to add a web link in a proper signature line, which you have not done yet. But you are not allowed to use the forum to make posts simply promoting your business or service.

  496. #496Flash20042011-09-21 23:09

    Hear hear! Go Willie! but the worst are the guys coming on here representing and promoting companies which have stolen our jobs, stolen our designs and right now are busy finishing off stealing our life styles.

  497. #497stock2011-09-22 16:52

    Sheriff Atco is in town Mr William Jefferie best be on good behaviour.............

  498. #498HARDWORKING2011-09-23 09:04

    My nerve would have been shot if I was in that situation. It would have given shaking knees new meaning.

  499. #499joeeye592011-09-23 18:29

    WOW...! Have all the operators make it out okay...? does each time gets this bad...? does it go down slow enough for the operator to get out in time before its all under..? I understand this is imminent to happen again...? I say if this situation has become a serious enough problem that warrants a better way to handle the dig out, I say have it rigged with very tall & long hydraulic rams lifting it up very high, ten feet or better, rig it up like the Indy Race Cars when they pull over for a tire change and air pressure is applied to rams lifting the car off the ground enough to change the tires.... Good luck with this guys...

  500. #500lynchy2011-09-24 17:15

    duh!dumper Dumper driver 'lost concentration'lucky i was watching him as he reversed down a track we were taking stone up from,equally lucky he wasn't loaded,was about 40ft drop down earth bank then 60ft drop off retaining wall,had to use tirfor secured to tow eye on back of dumper to stop rear end slipping round,pulled him back onto track with 8t Komatsu,Bristol in England.

  501. #501tntenergy2011-09-24 20:55

    There's a good picture of an Ensign rig that fell through the muskeg. Found at Rig Mats - TNT Energy Services.

  502. #502rquick2011-10-06 16:01

    Nice pics

  503. #503Nige2011-10-06 18:52

    Don't try this at home kids ..........

  504. #504980C2011-10-11 00:21

    Ouch!!

  505. #505Nige2011-10-11 07:53

    This one's even better ...........

  506. #506drtdigger2011-10-12 22:21

    I love a "A" model loader. So much dam power!

  507. #507Nige2011-10-13 07:13

    The F has even more power than the A ........!! That photo above of the bogged 994A is not too far away from you. Pine Branch Coal in Chavies KY to be exact.

  508. #508Hitachi EX35002011-10-25 16:23

    I wish I could take a camera to work with me.....I work in a coal mine and they will put about anyone on a tractor, mostly on a 11. We all know what a inexperienced person can do with a tractor, gets even better when they get on a big one!!!!!

  509. #509Nige2011-11-01 21:15

    They're at it again ............... ointhead ointhead 994F gets stuck so they send in a D9 to "rescue" him and he gets stuck as well. And yes, they were made to wash them both off again before we'd let either machine go back to work. The D9 needed the belly guards dropped because the slurry had got right up into the engine compartment.

  510. #510mitch5042011-11-01 22:17

    look on the bright side, at least you know the ripper's getting full penetration

  511. #511oregon96pd2011-11-02 23:48

    obviously not mine but still kinda cool [video=youtube;Z_Y1sYLOhvw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_Y1sYLOhvw&feature=related[/video]

  512. #512expatracer2011-11-03 22:32

    so thats where kiewit get some of there guys from

  513. #513Nige2011-11-06 18:38

    Siberia in the summer .......... always fun ......... winter time those ruts are frozen solid and even worse to drive on.

  514. #514Alberto Krohn2011-11-24 10:14

    the photo of the antenna at Oilsands mine in Northern Alberta, Canada is crazy, how did he manage to go down there? AK

  515. #515Broken shovel2011-11-24 11:37

    Unfortunately big iron gets big stuck. The "most" enormous, "most" powerful equipment is always the "most" work to get out. Did the operators have wash them on their own time?

  516. #516RebelRider2011-11-24 12:12

    This is me a couple years ago. Found a soft spot in my back pasture.... Then my wife stuck my truck trying to pull me out.....

  517. #517Hitachi EX35002011-11-24 16:09

    We had a guy run a 10 off the nd of the dump the other day....why he was out there no one knows. It was down to the top of the tracks and took right at 7 hrs with a 345 , a lgp7r, and a 11n to get it out. Boss tried to get pics of it., but it was to dark.

  518. #518prfire202011-11-24 18:41

    This thread is crazy i just looked at 35 pages of people wreckin their underwear and never blinked!! Didnt see too many scrapers buried i suppose they cant get into as much trouble and their tracked cousins

  519. #519alan627b2011-11-25 14:17

    Oh yes they can...... do it right and you can bury the pushcat too.... this was a Wal-Mart job we did in Denison, Iowa. The further down we went the worse it got. Eventually it got bad enough we top loaded the scrapers and used the 8K to push us through the waste area to dump it. Yeccch! To say tempers got short a few times is a bit of an understatement. Dragging "1" cable sucks!

  520. #520OldandWorn2011-11-25 17:23

    What are all of those cables in the rear of the pushcat? Looks like they are coming out from the top of the ROPS.

  521. #521prfire202011-11-25 19:59

    Its official!!!! the thread is complete great pics!!!!!!!!

  522. #522Fred2011-11-25 21:57

    2 things here I can see, air con / heater hoses to top of cab (ROPS) & a coil of tow cable lower down. IT does look like they are joined on first glance.

  523. #523alan627b2011-11-26 19:07

    Both the D8K and the D5C carried tow cables on them all the time.. the 8 has brackets on it to carry the cable... the other things are A/C hoses.. and someday they might even make it work! LOL! The dirt on this job was up to 30% moisture content except by the toe of the slope where it was completly saturated with water running out of it. Sort of a grainy clay and sand mix. There was a 60 fot cut at a 3:1 on the hillside where the building and parking lots went. The pics of the stuck 627B is where he was hauling in dry material to bridge the mess and sorta make a haul "road", so the rest of us with the 621B's could get close enough for the hoe to load us. Oh what fun...

  524. #524alan627b2011-11-26 19:15

    More fun in the mud.

  525. #525alan627b2011-11-26 19:24

    The nice looking 621B was it's first job out of the paint shop... it's an ex-military unit that was OD green until they repainted it.. and installed the cushion hitch components. The Gov buys these things with stiff necks for some reason. It looked like the rest of the fleet after this mud job was over! All our 621's and 627's are B models, and all receive 3406's if they don't have them already. It makes a real difference in power believe me! All the benefits of an E without all the electronics. Hope you enjoyed the pics! My newest employer, JC Excavation out of Kennard (Blair) Nebraska owns these units. A shameless plug!

  526. #526Dozerboy2011-11-29 20:58

    Hi Alan A little nicer iron then what you use to run... That poor little 5 pulling those 27s out. We don't use scrapers down here unless its a 13 on stabilized soil. Its not that the scraper would get stuck you'd never get it off the lowboy, because it would be stuck as soon as you pulled off the road.

  527. #527robin yates uk2011-12-04 02:52

    great story and a great idea for when you are really stuck, thanks

  528. #528Effinay2011-12-26 14:15

    Reminds me of a time I was driving our department's Forestry Unit, a converted M35 with a 1000 gallon water tank. Buried to the axles in goop and quite obviously going nowhere, I picked up the microphone to report the situation. I was reminded of these wise words: You're NEVER stuck! Your progress has been temporarily delayed........

  529. #529RollOver Pete2011-12-26 14:58

    Does this count I was just posing anyways

  530. #530rezod12012-01-13 14:22

    gotta love all these oops moments

  531. #531D&GExcavating2012-01-15 03:13

    That looks like some fun stuff to work in with a 627 and a D8!

  532. #532SVP2012-01-15 21:48

    Wow.. We learn on the go, things happen to everyone. But for me never seen that deep!!!!

  533. #533waterman282012-01-17 18:23

    link http://www.miningmayhem.com/2010/03/rear-dumper-under-water.html

  534. #534thebaz2012-01-17 22:12

    link http://www.miningmayhem.com/2010/03/...der-water.html That is one wild site!

  535. #535AndrewK2012-01-19 00:16

    Some great pictures in here!

  536. #536bruce michael2012-02-15 18:01

    Loaded water cart in a uncompacted fibre optic trench. The water cart was used to fill up a "hyrdomulch" truck that was spraying grass seed onto the area.

  537. #537VoodooMojo2012-02-15 19:32

    Run it like you rented it!

  538. #538bigshow2012-02-15 19:40

    They couldn't just jam the man basket into the ground and push itself out under it's own power? Darned nail benders anyways.........

  539. #539coorecat2012-02-15 22:53

    How did they even get it in there?

  540. #540bigshow2012-02-16 06:13

    There's a 9 hidin around the corner,only thing I can think of. That thing sure did plow up some mud though, I'd like to know what their plans are for that shovel.

  541. #541Nitehawk2842012-02-16 17:49

    Looks like gold mineing in Alaska.LOL

  542. #542VoodooMojo2012-02-16 22:45

    they kept pushing/plling it around with the forklift until the forklift got stuck!:Banghead

  543. #543xgiovannix122012-02-23 00:57

    This is in brooklyn NY last year

  544. #544markliu2012-03-15 23:59

    cool pics...

  545. #545VoodooMojo2012-03-16 18:18
  546. #546Dr Komatsu2012-03-16 19:49

    Pc190LC-8 rolled down hill.

  547. #547VoodooMojo2012-03-16 23:39

    not as bad as Dr Komatsu's excavator laying in the ditch but interesting none the less:

  548. #548Dr Komatsu2012-03-28 18:48

    dozer stuck on tree stump

  549. #549alaskaforby42012-05-20 23:22

    Put a chain from track to track and drive it outta there!

  550. #550rabia2012-06-13 03:04

    the trucks sticking pics are crazy how to control them while driving trucks to unstuck?this is very hard job to do...

  551. #551RollOver Pete2012-06-13 08:10

    Compliments of the company "Puddle Jumper" expert.

  552. #552KingRanch2012-06-13 08:33

    poor JCB Couldn't get out of its own way if it tried!

  553. #553joeeye592012-06-13 10:53

    After looking at all these machines stuck in the mud, I didn't see any backhoes... Unless I missed them??? Maybe no backhoes because thankfully each time I was stuck in the mud my backhoe can lift itself up using the hoe and loader and walk it self out like a spider with long legs...lol....

  554. #554KingRanch2012-06-13 11:35

    Its funny you say that because we used a Case 580K to get it out.

  555. #555d4c24a2012-06-13 15:14

    put tyres more suited to the conditions would help , it no fault of the machine

  556. #556tireman2012-06-13 18:11

    It's not the tires fault.What type of tire would you expect to get more traction than a "traction lug" tire?Try not taking the machine where a farm tractor is needed would be a better suggestion.

  557. #557Dozerboy2012-06-13 19:13

    Some people have to work in the mud so they have no choice on where they take there equipment. We have extra wide tires on all our loaders down here. Here is a pic although it doesn't really do them justice.

  558. #558stock2012-06-13 19:30

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkRUDHCrjzQ put tyres like these under it and see the difference.................

  559. #559robin yates uk2012-06-13 21:45

    there is more going on in this pic than we know of. Maybe the driver is new to the machine, maybe a buried pipe or cable. This machine will go nearly anywhere if the operator is competant

  560. #560roadbuilder62012-06-14 08:13

    This has been an intresting forum to read, it makes you more careful

  561. #561d4c24a2012-06-14 15:37

    why does the farm tractor manage , because it has the correct tyres fitted i have seen artic steer loaders fitted with ag tyres wiggle their way past stuck tractors and then pull them out , like the old saying "power is nothing without traction " those tyres are not suited to those conditions , if you say they are i am glad you dont advise me on tyres it is certainly not the machines fault , the tyres fitted in the clip by stock would have had no trouble keeping up and grip but i would guess that machine has been got in to that situation by accident or desperation and would more than likely not venture off road much

  562. #562tireman2012-06-14 17:38

    Those are actually log skidder tires which are just beefed up ag tires.But yes, much better suited to the slop.

  563. #563rabia2012-08-17 01:35

    Bad scene

  564. #564jim1302012-08-18 17:55

    Is the O&K the one that was winched out out for charity last year?? Annacotty challenge it was called i think.

  565. #565koalamotorsport2012-08-24 23:52

    After all these pics, I don't feel so bad about my little ooops a couple of months ago. Tiny little Bobcat X331. Sure felt like it was going over and not enough hydraulic strength to pull itself out. Had my tow truck there, with some work, I drove it out using the tow truck to stop it falling into the mud.

  566. #566koalamotorsport2012-08-25 00:13

    Then after deciding the mini was too small for the job, I found a new toy, and broke it too.... Feel so much better about my little 'stucks' after seeing all these real stucks!

  567. #567Alberto Krohn2012-09-16 00:21

    CAT980G helping a truck to go out the mud.

  568. #568ben46a2012-09-16 17:05

    Oh man, 34 ton down, no good can come of that!

  569. #569vapor3002012-09-20 00:18

    at what point did that guy figure out he was stuck and stop diggin himself deeper???

  570. #570koalamotorsport2012-09-20 08:07

    Just before the photo was taken.......... :tong

  571. #571stimpe2012-09-20 21:40

    insane pictures wow

  572. #572sKunk2012-09-22 10:16

    Hey! You're right in my back yard! Fort Calhoun, here.

  573. #573caterpillarRy2012-09-27 20:08

    here in MA we have quick mud in some areas and a guy lost a 330 CAT THEY JUST ENDED up cutting the boom off and let her sink after d8s couldn't get her out

  574. #574Tom Williams2012-10-02 06:16

    Hi Gary, I am working on a new TV series about life on the Big Island and we are hoping to get in touch with some construction companies or workers out there about dealing with lava tubes and what kind of a hazard they can present in this line of work. The series will look at what it is like to live and work on a volcanic island and what that means for the people who have to deal with it everyday. With lava tubes all over the island this is clearly something that causes a few problems! If you have any contacts of companies or people working out there - or you - who can talk more about this and have work coming up where lava tubes could be a potential hazard in Oct/Nov it would be great to hear about. Thanks for your help, Tom [email protected] +44 (0)1273 224 264

  575. #575Tom Williams2012-10-02 06:18

    Lava Tubes in Hawaii - Collapse Hi Gary, I am working on a new TV series about life on the Big Island and we are hoping to get in touch with some construction companies or workers out there about dealing with lava tubes and what kind of a hazard they can present in this line of work. The series will look at what it is like to live and work on a volcanic island and what that means for the people who have to deal with it everyday. With lava tubes all over the island this is clearly something that causes a few problems! If you have any contacts of companies or people working out there - or you - who can talk more about this and have work coming up where lava tubes could be a potential hazard in Oct/Nov it would be great to hear about. Thanks for your help, Tom [email protected] +44 (0)1273 224 264

  576. #576Dozerboy2014-03-02 18:43

    Got some new ones. These where both in 1 week. Cost us a chunk of $$$ to get them out.

  577. #577JDOFMEMI2014-03-02 20:19

    Looks like you guys are keeping the local towing company happy.

  578. #578Dualie2014-03-02 22:28

    you can try contacting Doc Bailey @ http://www.888docbailey.com/ tell him donald peterson said you should get in touch with him

  579. #579Dozerboy2014-03-03 19:14

    Yep someone is going to get a nice bonus this year. We had 3 trucks out there on the last one when he was almost on its side. This "pond" is a bottom less pit of drilling mud. We where double and triple matting everything and still could barely keep things out of the muck.

  580. #580ben46a2014-03-03 19:58

    Thank god its a rental.

  581. #581Dozerboy2014-03-07 14:15

    I sent the pics to my sales guy lol