Hi, another question about a Hyundai 290 LC-3. I think it is around a 1995. It spent its working life as a logging machine in BC, Canada. The provincial safety authority demands that tracked logging equipment NOT use triple bar grousers-- they only allow double and single bars, since BC does not have a lot of flat ground and TBG don't have a lot of traction when they get iced up. So, my machine has 24" single bar grousers and is missing one track pad. Where the heck do I find one SBG track pad for a machine that comes from the factory with TBG? Does someone have a track chain book that lists bolt hole spacings and pitch-- I guess I need to find out what machines used chain with the same pitch and pad drilling pattern. It seems to have an 8" chain pitch but the bolt spacings look like they are metric and the bolts are definitely metric 20mm. There are forging marks on the chain--I'm guessing it is the second or third set of chains that this machine has had. I've attached a photo of the forging and a drawing of the chain bolt pattern, hoping someone can say what brand the chain is or even give me a list of other iron that lists this bolt pattern. Suggestions as to who I might contact to find a new or used pad (in Western Canada or the Pacific Northwest) would be welcome. I would even be interested in a used set of TBG pads as this machine is going to die in the lap of luxury on a farm doing flatland clearing. Running this 65,000lb machine across a field with SBG leaves a pair of paths that looks like they were rototilled. I've thought about finding a SBG track pad from a machine with an 8" chain pitch and take my chances in making holes to fit my track bolts. I have heard that pads are made from undrillium work hardening steel (like manganese steel) but have never gone down this road to find out. Anyone care to comment? All your comments are appreciated. Jon.
CEM Heavy Equipment is the Hyundai rep for Alberta. I just looked and they changed their name to Chinook. I know that you can get replacement undercarriages from them so that is likely a good place to start your search. https://www.chinookequipment.ca/default.htm
Good day The attached may be helpful, I guess its problematic trying to source individual track parts. Kind regards Uffex
Uffex, I would love to get 8 or 10 pieces of 20' sections of track pad material to build my own!!! But I rather doubt I can get material like this in Western Canada. Where I think my best bet would be is to get an after-market track chain catalog that shows pitch and track bolt spacings. --If something like this is even available--!! I'm thinking, that with such a catalog I may get lucky and find a dozer SBG pad that fits the track bolt pattern. If I cannot do that, the next fallback would be to find a dozer listing with 8" pitch chains and I take my chances on re-doing the bolt holes to suit. For example, I happened to check the chains on my D6D and they seemed to be pretty close to 8" pitch as well. The bolt pattern was different and the bolts were definitely smaller, though. After all, the fact that I already have a bunch of SBG on a track chain that fits my machine suggests that there is (was?) something out there that fits!!! Do you know if the forging marks on the side of the links is stock Hyundai or someone else's track? Thanks for your help with the bulk grouser bar info. Jon.
Good day Jon If you make a search for the following outfits you can find catalogues and local contacts most of the European track outfits belong to Krupp Germany so you may get duplicate info. Burco - ITM - Intertractor the Asian outfits may be able to help also, but they are thin on the ground as to the best of my knowledge in Canada. Hyundia I suspect source there undercarriage from China. Kind regards Uffex
Eight inch pitch is pretty common as it is old Cat D6 in sealed track and was used on the Cat 225 excavator. I don't have anything that tells me about bolt spacings but I would probably compare what you have against the Cat 225, 322C up to a 329LL. Deere used eight inch pitch on their sealed tracks on their 755A up to their 850B tractors and the 792E excavators. It has been my experience that most of the Asian manufacturers would use Caterpillar specs on their undercarriages. You might have some luck measuring your bolt spacings and checking them against the comparably sized Cat excavator to start with. I believe the Hyundai 290 is roughly comparable in size and weight to a Cat 322C up to a 329LL.
If you can find a triple can you machine it a single?
Not a bad idea!! Beats trying to build a complete SBG out of mild steel. Jon.
Well, it looks I'm better at punching a calculator than figuring out how to use the quote controls on this site!! Sorry, John C. I was wanting to just comment on your depth of knowledge on track details!! You have given me some leads on shoes to pursue that might be in the ballpark. That's worth a "Thank you very much, Sir!!" I think my bigger issue is to find the pads in SBG as it seems most excavators play in TBG and double grousers. I've always had a bit of a fascination about tracks since I built a small dozer when I was about age 14, finished it at about age 16. All from scrap. Austin car engine and trans, followed by a Ford pickup stick shift box, with a cut-down floating pickup axle so I could use differential steering. Roller chain final drives. Used sawmill conveyor chain and cast iron sprockets for the tracks. Learned the hard way why crawlers used double pitch chain--an 8" crawler chain has sprockets cut for 4" tooth pitches. That clever dodge ensures there is NOT a sprocket tooth trying to fill most of the gap between chain pins. I found that dirt does not like to compress in this space when the sprocket tooth wants to get into the same space! And my pads were too light to cut relief holes in them. I'll chase some local suppliers about your suggestions on Monday to see if we can find paydirt. Thanks again, Jon.
Im not sure if id fuss with prov regulations for something on the farm,im sure your common sense will lead you . Those single bar grousers look like a headache unless you are hoe chucking on side hills.Id find the right tbg pad to fill the gap maybe weld a grouser bar to it if you like. But ultimately i would look for a set of tbg pads and be rid of those grousers. Theres tbg on everything here but a loggers machine here.
Tugger, It's not the stressing with regs I'm worried about (the stump ranch is pretty flat)--just trying to get another track pad to fit. But your suggestion of just doing a TBG to fill the hole is a good one. Cheapest solution for sure. You are right in suggesting to look for a whole set of TGB to get rid of the rototilling my fields anytime I cross them. Just a money issue right now. Thanks for your suggestions. Jon.
Looks like Komatsu D65EX-12 and newer. KOMATSU# 14X-32-11370 Berco# KM2093/610 these won't have a mud hole or clipped corners. Intertractor has some, but you might want to call Vancouver Tracparts (604) 468-7828 and see if they have or can get. Cheers, Lanway
Good day Jon If you need hole centres the attached may be helpful. https://www.yutaniglobal.com/yutani...MI37mWwZHz7AIV1-vtCh1EgQBQEAAYASAAEgJePvD_BwE Kind regards Uffex