I thought I would start a work picture thread they seem to get a lot of views and I have learned a lot form other threads maybe mine can help someone The first picture is a D6H geting some line boring done on the blade and tilt cylinder The Second and third pictures are a excavator bucket that I made fit on a old cat 215 the customer bought the machine without a bucket then bought this bucket that was 3" to narrow and pin bosses were 1/2'' to small a lot of air arc rods later I got it finished and put a coat of yellow paint on to cover up that gastly orange. The fourth picture is a TA planetary out of a IH 656 tractor. I bought a ramp with over sized rollers and ground .005'' of with the tool post grinder.
A few more The first 2 are my brother in laws D8 that we mounted a johnston tile plow on these were taken last fall and he has been plowing all winter with it last week was over 12'' of frost in the shaded areas. The last 2 are a IH 1466 with a broken axle it broke on a smooth lane headed to the feed lot with way less than max drawbar weight and was a clean break all the way through no rust or sighns of a crack. I am glad he was not on the road it could have been deadly.
Trencher Fun These are of a vermeere T600D tencher they dont use a planetary in the final drive just a #160 roller chain with sprockets to get gear reduction but when the chain breaks and wraps around the sprocket it usualy breaks the case as this one did. The sprocket had to come off and the 70 ton puller wouldn't touch it without some help from the rose bud and sledge hammer. We found a used case about 30 miles from here so it worked out well as a new one from vermeere was 4k and 6 weeks out because they had to cast them.
Cowman, nice set of snap's with some interesting tasks being undertaken, the difference between the U.K. and other locations with how repairs are undertaken is very interesting to me, the bucket mod job I would never get as the labour cost for all that boring and fettling would make that bucket the price of 24c Gold, the bore repair work is not the "Common Thing" with any customers that I have, they would most usualy have the worn item chopped out and a new chunk glued in, I have looked into bore weld equipment but just would never get enough work for it to ballance the cost, on the 70t cylinder thing I had a bit of a simple task that I have done possibly 50 times on this model of CAT shovel (951C) this last Thursday, instead of taking a 70t cylinder to the job I threw in to my truck a 105t job that was handy on my bench, anyhow these sprockets usualy pop off with about 30 ton pressure and a whack from a 14lb hammer, I found myself stuffing 90 tons into it and having to take running swings at it with the hammer to set it free from its perch, so a little job could have beaten me if I had not been a bit lazy and taken a bigger cylinder??? the sprocket is usualy pressed on at about 25-30 ton so someone must have gone a bit savage on the pump to lock things up so hard.
Nice to see another picture thread and see how others tackle the same work.. TC,that bucket would be around a 1500 dollar job for me. Would the Poms regard that as excessive or is the line boring a lot more expensive? I think here in West Oz 99 percent of buckets that size would be rebored and not have the ears cut off.
Thanks for the replys guys the sprocket pulling job was a pain because there were no holes or spokes to lock the puller in I had to blow 3 holes to get the puller legs stuffed through and the vermeere uses a straight shaft with a 3/4'' key no taper there so it made for a hard pull all the way. RayF I am a fan of yours as I have read your threads closely and learned a lot from them. I dont know how the your money and ours compares but you were within a houndred dollors of my bill on your estemate of the bucket repair. The boreing was about 600 and the rest was the cutting apart and fabbing back together. I bought some induction hardend cylinder ram stock to make the pins out of the, Because the ho is only used on the farm and the customer didnt want to spend thousands on pins I had $235 total in 2 pins 2.75x 18.5" the hardening is about .060" thick I think it will last a long time on a farm machine but I wouldnt try it on a every day production machine.
Some work on the mill I had a customer call a while back and ask about milling a angle on a spindle for a D400D cat artic truck told him to bring it over. He explained when he got there that the axle houseing was bent and the tire was wearing badly the only proper fix was a new axle houseing that was no longer avalible and prices showed 12k for new one plus labor. I set it up in the mill and took .4375" off one side and tapered it out to factory on the other side. He called the next week to tell me it worked perfectly, It realy suprised me as I thought we would probably change the geometry of the axle and panetary but it is still working.
RayF, it would not be the common thing for any of my customers to buy a bucket that is not going to fit the excavator they own, small mods that might run into a "Shift" might be stood for, but all that boring plus cutting and shutting would be coins wasted and better put towards a bucket that will fit correctly, bore re-working is not something that crops up for me other than swapping out bushings, I can cut out and weld in new bosses as and when?? needed, the average price asked for a bore repair is around the £300 mark so action with a cutting set and my welder soon deals with the standard tasks, this is ment as no slight to Cowman or any others that do this style of repair, its a great thing for centre joints on loaders and frame locations etc, but the coins would be hard to gather up in the U.K. for a bucket job.
Looks like an economics thing then.I don't think there would be a lot of cost difference here between a boiler maker/welder cutting of ears and getting it line bored.
cowman, nice work! if you did anything with the set up on that tile plow you may look under "dozers" to help a guy out needing hydraulic set-up advice for one on a d6r.....theironoracle
I wish there was somebody with a portable line borer near here. The nearest one I know of is 120 miles away, and he has minimum charge of $1200. On a bucket it is cheaper to just make new weldments and cut the old ones out.
Cowman, on the vermeer, by the looks of it, you didn't save the shaft, but wanted the sprocket, did you blow a hole in the shaft to relieve some of the pressure so it pushed easier, just curious or was I seeing it wrong. Thanks for sharing pictures with us, by the looks of it, you do some great work, keep the pictures coming of your projects.
Cowman, I like your D400 fix. I wonder how many people he tried to explain that to and they just stared at him. Nice work.
Randy on the vermeere I had to blow 3 holes in the sprocket to get puller legs through but I wanted to save the shaft also as only the cast case was junk. While working on pulling that pita I kept looking at my thermal oxy lance setting 10ft from me and it was tempting but the customer said he wanted to salvage everything possible cause buying anything new from vermeere was like buying a Bugatti Veyron. The used case we got also had a sprocket on it but it was like new and the old one was wore out so I had to do the same thing on it to get it removed. I was shure a wore out uc on a near new sprocket would cause problems.
Here are some from last week I dont know if removeing a link from whore out excavator rails are a common practice but I have done a couple in the last year, I mite add that they are usualy farmer owned machines and not for everyday production. The first couple are from a deere 200 lc it also got a new top carrier roler and I had to order a couple new bottom rollers.
I hate painting I had a D6H show up monday for a little beautification, painting is not my favorite passtime but it pays bills just the same. The customer wanted to give it the look of a R so we are going with the black cab and doors, no big deal just more tapeing and masking.
"Short-tracking" is pretty well standard practice around here, even with construction companies.
Open to opinions on paint and primer. I priced cat paint and was almost speachless when they told me it was $31/Gal that must be the least expinsive thing I have ever priced there. I have used NAPA paint (martin senior) and primer quite a bit and had good luck with it so I opted for the more expinsive stuff still not bad paint was $63/gal plus hardner and reducer puts it to about $81/gal. I used the good epoxy primer, after useing some rust killer on the battery box and fuel tank corners were the fule tank gaurd had traped dirt and let it rust and pit some. I also removed the grab handles welded to the side of the hood, put a little spot puddy on and sanded down, I am going to put a black cat decal were they were welded, and bolt new ones to the top of the hood like the R's.
I got the black sprayed late this afternoon so first thing in the morning I will mask the black and start shooting yellow. This is the first dozer I have ever painted, back in the years of working at the deere dealership I painted about every fourth tractor taken on trade but this is a learning experience.
I've seen some worn out rollers but this one is unbelievable! Sure got his moneys worth!!!
There is a paint called SEM and they do have Cat yellow. No need to cut down, but can add hardener. It is very thin and doesn't have a lot of solids, but it holds and wears nice. I have been useing on plow blades and it has held up well. Pricing not bad. Can put right int the HVLP gun and spray.
I got some color sprayed today and should be ready to slap the tracks on tomorrow and drive it out so I can paint the blade.
Finished painting and got some masking removed
The paint job looks good. I have used lots of martin senior paint myself. I painted my camaro with it and it looks better than any factory paint job I've seen. Is the customer you are painting the dozer for planning on keeping it or selling it? I like a shinny piece of equipment as much as the next guy but I have a hard time spending money and man hours to paint equipment that I know will just get all scratched up again in everyday work. Now if I was selling a piece of equipment, a couple thousand dollar paint job can sell equipment and often times you can make money on the paint job.
The customer just bought it so it came to my place for paint and a line boring job on the equalizer bar
Nice looking job. Do you know what type of paint cat offers?
Cat only offers a enamel paint now they used to have a urtahne enamel that was better but the epa must have put a stop to it. Here are a few from today I still have to put the glass back in and paint the blade and have the rest of decals on order should be in tomorrow
Nice looking job, any idea how many hours it took to do the job from start to finish? I've painted a lot of stuff over the years, but never a dozer, I'll second that about not a favorite job.
Yes Randy I can tell you exatly up to now I have 74 hours still have the blade, rear screen, to paint, windows to install and a little assembly left probably have 90 hours when complete. I estimated 80 hours but live and learn. worst thing was it was a bid job and I matched cats price to find out later they dont prime, remove tracks, or glass for the price that I matched but I know for next time.
Finished Been to busy to post for a couple weeks but I got a couple finished shots of the machine, The only thing missing was the D6H decals they had to come from the supplier and the machine went to work before they showed up.
I also had to do some line boring while it was here the equalizer bar and mounting bosses for it needed some attention. I also bored both outside holes they were bad and I had to weld and bore the bore for the seal which is almost a inch biger than the bearing bore.
SE, the dozer looks really nice, wish some of my stuff looked that nice, and thanks for the pictures of your line boring, we all like pictures.
They always seem to take those equaliser bar bores to the limit I have done a few lately where it was just machine everything out and start again. Hardly ever is it a quick run of weld between the circlip grooves and machine. The dozer owners must feel sorry for us underpaid machinists and want to give us the extra work