Any brick or block layers around here? I need to submit a bid for putting a foundation under a double-wide mobile home. The owner is going to relocate it on his property, and wants a foundation under it. I'll be subbing out the block laying, but most of the block guys around here just provide labor, and they want you to handle all the materials (especially for a small job like this). The job will probably use about 1100 8" block. I've got everything figured out except the motar and sand. Any suggestions would be appreciated... Joe
The company supplieing the block will figure the bags of mortor for you if you ask. They always send at least a few bags extra, but will take them back at the end of the job, as well as the excess block. As for mason sand, they will figure that and supply it as well, but you may want to pick that up from the pit and deliver it yourself. I have found the cost savings to be substantial. Mason sand from the block companies here run from $12 to $15 a ton plus delivery. If I get it from the gravel pit, it is $4 a ton and I can charge for the delivery. Not sure how much you need, but I would think 5 or 6 tons would do it.
If you are putting up a double wide mobile why are you using mortor and blocks are they putting a full basement under it ? I have done quite a few mobile homes and the way we do it here is pour concrete strips at a certain distance apart so it looks like this I I I I I. Each I represents a pad which runs the full width of the trailer or can be 12 inches narrower than the outside walls. The trailer sits on cinder blocks then you ad the earth quake tie downs which when you poured the pads you put eye bolts in the concrete to tie to. With a double wide you have some choices you use I beams for the trailer to sit on or 12x12 pressure treated timbers and use cinder blocks for blocking. The skirting on the trailer hides all the stuff supporting the trailer it is a good crawl space to store stuff. Also how old is this double wide ? If the trailer is old be very very and I mean very carefull moving older mobiles they have a tendency to bust up. Its funny to see one buckle :yup
Not a full basement, just a crawl space. That's what the customer asked for, so that's what I'm bidding. I think it has something to do with it no longer being considered a "mobile" home if it's sitting on a foundation (something to do with the bank), but I really don't know. As far as moving it, that's not part of my scope. I just have to get the new foundation in place. Joe
I have done a few of these. Usually the company your customer bought it from will dig the footers for the supports. Then someone else (you) will dig a perimeter footer that does not actually support the home at all, it is just used to hold the block that will enclose the crawl space. It is usally done so the homeowner can get a regular mortgage on the hosue & a regular homeowners policy. Make sure your block layer knows that it is going to be a double wide because around here, most masons charge extra for doing a double wide because they are always bent over & they have to cut the last course & sometimes the last two courses. You should include several automatic foundation vents too. They will help keep the floor from rotting.
The problem with mobiles they are really not designed to sit on a perimiter foundation the floor counterlevers off the chassis of the trailer. The trailer would have to sit on crossmembers that sit in key ways on the perimiter walls you want to build. The easiest foundation to do is the styrofoam forms and used poured concrete after its done the foundation is insulated and you put what ever finish on the ouside. On the West we rarely use block a poured concrete foundation is easier and quicker to install especially with foam forms and its very strong. You can punch pipes through the foam to run your utilities to run through. For a mobile like that being what maybe 48 inches off the ground you could dig the footers form them up pour them next day come in with the foam forms form up the walls in 1/2 a day pour them the job is done.
Usually it is 1 bag morter cement to 11 shoves of sand. Probably looking at 5-6 ton of sand.