We are pretty much screwed here in ND. Hundreds of thousands of acres of edible beans, soybeans, and corn are not harvested, most of the soys were not even ripe yet. Nothing we can do but wait it out, dig out, and hope Mother Nature has mercy on everyone. Bad deal.
That's brutal, how cold did it get?
Not cold at all. Right now it's like 28°F.
There isn't a single acre of corn harvested in our county, or surrounding counties, and probably not in our state.
Not complaining, bitching, crying, or whatnot, because I know other states have had it as bad or worse the last couple years. Hope some of you are having a good fall.
That is not good at all. Ice and snow is a poor source of income and or nutrition. Hopefully there will be some salvage.
Man, what a mess! Gotta feel bad for the farmers. Whether it’s crops or livestock, weather like that can take all the fun out of farming! Doesn’t look fun for the truckers, either.
Looks like you got quite a bit more up there Shimmy. Yuck.
We are £ucked, for lack of a better word. I helped pull out 6 combines on Monday and Tuesday, one with tracks. There was not one sqaure foot of dry farmland anywhere due to the 13" of rain in September. I don't know how the farmers could even have a chance to go get the corn, it's not going to freeze under this snow. The ranchers are in an even worse predicament. Most don't have cows home, nor hay hauled in. The hay that isn't under water is nearly impossible to get to due to water and mud, and to top it all off, most guys didn't get their manure moved out of the lots either.
Farmers around here are starting to get a little nervous. These have been sitting for the better part of a week because of rain but that's nothing compared to you guys up north. Hope it works out so you can get your stuff out eventually.
That is a building under there. The snow is covering up 4 entrances.
I talked to my dad earlier this week, he's central Iowa. He said very little corn is combined in their area. They've had a lot of rain and very muddy. All that snow gives you not very many good options. You really don't want it to freeze solid, then the snow won't go away. Probably the best to hope for is a melt, then a hard freeze and try to walk on top, the beans probably won't make it, but the corn should stand for a while. It was a little cool even here this morning, a little frost on the windows of the truck. But the sun came out this afternoon, mid 60's, supposed to be mid 70's most of next week. I like a little cold weather, but I'm not really jealous. One of my guys showed up yesterday morning with heavy insulated bibs on and a stocking hat, it was 53 degrees. He doesn't like cold weather.
Soybean field. 6' and 4' culverts completely submerged What fields look like Combine with tracks I helped dig out
Second time in a month this spillway had water like this Here is the dam I removed a couple years ago
MAN that all SUCKS!!!, all we got was High MO River levels and some bottoms never planted. Most farms on the hill sides and up north are all picked and gone. Cousins in Greenville IL got their beans out, made 50b/a but corn is and shall remain standing awhile as has Not even dimpled yet, went in almost a month late.
Not denting and it's almost November 1? That sounds bleak.
Pretty much A month late set this in motion
Wow! I had no idea that sort of weather has already hit. Oct. 11th we had damn near 100 degree temps down here. We've been in drought conditions for the last couple of months.
Still wet here, beans are coming off ( 16% average from what I've heard) only so winter wheat can get planted....no corn at all other than chopped for silage. Going to be a long slow ass harvest. Ed
Hope you get the weather sorted out soon! Just about everything is out of the fields here except for some beans and cotton. All that rain you all are getting is flowing south. I saw this poor 750/850 sitting in the swamp the other day and the water was rising.
Amazing. Could you harvest the water and send it to Australia. This country is in one of the worst droughts,dry as a Wooden God, bush fires in 4 states, total fire ban in all of New South Wales( NSW) and parts of Queensland(QLD). https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-inf...RmQTl1u9sAlLV6fTowpeDkb5XtIBUbWfljIHdLWqj-6eM
Is purty and pretty nasty here another hour or so of precip then temp will head for basement and all will freeze solid
There are a few near me that would be glad to fill up some tankers full of water from Lake Ontario and let you haul it away.
You better have a couple logs ready for the fire in the morning. They are saying 15 deg. here in the morning, wind chills near zero. We got mostly rain, which froze, and changed to snow and sleet. Lots of accidents from flash freezing of the rain. We got all the equipment moved that I need for tomorrow by 1:30 and I sent everyone home. It was 70 here yesterday, so the ground is warm, its just the wind and temp drops making the ice.
You all have been in a drought for at least a couple years have you not? That is too bad! The water situation has me interested the last few years. Every now and then I hear rumors of metered wells and all sorts of other stuff. It is too bad that I could not have sent you some last week. I had some extra.
Well Blocker some places it's been a couple of years but other areas haven't recorded rain in 8 years.
Looks like its planted a bit too deep to grow proper.
. I feel for you! A couple year drought is lifestyle changing to someone trying to farm. We had 6 weeks of no rain back a couple months ago and it really stressed the grass. I am thankful we are getting some rain before the cold got here. Be hard to imagine a year drought. I like a rain every week and a half or so to keep the dust down and help keep things smooth.
Back to the crazy weather here are a couple pictures from the last rain event here. That is a gate barely visible above the water in that second picture. I saw something moving in the gravel road and found this little guy. He made it back to the water.
Here (eastern WA) it took me till early November to get my spring wheat all cut. A good 50 days later then typical. No water/snow like you’ve had, but still very annoying for trying to get crops in.
That is too bad! Hopefully next year is better for everyone! We settled back into a nice fall here again and are getting some work done. The weather is really nice....it is one of those nice 30 days a year we get. I man told me the other day that MS is the only place you go out and freeze protect stuff the day before in flip flops.
Here we go again with the tornados. I hope everything goes well for everyone.
Did it miss you guys?
Yes it did miss us again thankfully. There was one south of us 15 miles and one 10-15 miles south of that. I have not heard of the damages there though. I do not know what there is that keeps us barely out of the path, but I like it. I am hoping the two south of us were radar indicated only and stayed in the clouds. I do not like this stuff. We used to get them every year or two. The last three to four years we have them in the spring and the winter.
It could be prayers from Dawn and I that help.
We definitely appreciate that very much!!
Meanwhile here in my part of Australia we have a bit of additional warmth apart from year long record temperatures. Most of the Eastern part of the State of NSW, (where I live in Australia),is on fire or has been burnt to ash. See https://www.theguardian.com/austral...es-bring-destruction-to-nsw-south-coast-video An area nearly twice the size of Wales has been burnt out so far and there are nearly 100 fires still out of control https://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au/fire-information/fires-near-me We live on the coast and are currently surrounded by fire with all the roads closed. Fortunately, through some previous fires which have burnt some of the area around us, and fortuitous wind changes, we haven't been burnt out. On our property we have prepared for fire and have water tanks, pumps, a tractor with tanks and pto water pump and the various heavy machines which can prepare fire breaks. So far we're the lucky ones as thousands of homes, outbuildings and businesses have gone up in smoke and tens of thousands of summer holiday makers are stranded on beaches and in emergency shelters until the fires abate. And these fires have been happening for months, and we've only had one month of summer... I don't think you'll find any person in the rural fire services here that doesn't now believe in climate change. It's cost these services a few lives already Fingers crossed these fires don't cause too much more damage. Soon there won't be much left to burn anyway. Happy New Year from Australia
Good luck up there! Those fires are terrible! There are a lot of us over here that are thinking about you over there.
We are up to around 10” in the last couple weeks. Anyone that needs any rain let me know. Prices are cheap, just got to make sure the shipping does not get you. Looks like we are making the news again! https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/officials-dam-mississippi-lake-fail-68279868 There are several more articles about that if anyone wants to google. There are several houses below the dam. It is a shame if she lets go. I feel sorry for the people it will affect.
We're glad to hear you're not below it.
Thanks! Maybe it will miss everyone’s house and someone will decide it actually needs to be fixed! That is what I am hoping for. I am thinking it was built as a flood control lake, but have no proof of that. If anyone knows a database of where to look at the old gov. built flood control lakes I would sure like to know.
I've seen depression era work program dams that had a plaque on them that gave the info on when/why they were built. Ed
Just can't seem to find the end. Neighbors still aren't done, we have tracks and trucks. 2019 harvest can **** right off anytime.
Yep, the gift that keep giving. ha. I hope things keep working up there. The ground is to soft down here for guys to get around in the fields. Tracks, 800 metric duals they all sink. Good luck shimmy.
Going to have to start harvesting with planes too
Does the National Guard have any hovercraft like the Marines do? Convert a hovercraft to a combine. (probably need some excellent stalk stompers to avoid damaging the hovercraft's skirt) (Scale up this : small hovercraft with mower on sea estuary mudflats)
We as well cannot seem to slip past the rains. Been off and on here for over two weeks where even having to mow wet for our short legs mutt to find a place to unload. Has been well over 3" over two weeks since put out gauge
Coming your way again tonight, DMiller?
What have you guys got down your way?
As far as I know we are supposed to get it after midnight when it is a good bit cooler and has lost strength. I have not heard of any alerts expected here.
That's good to hear.
Winds screamed here all last night, blew the welcome mats off the porches as usual. Rain is done for now but more later in week. Dry Cold front rolled thru around 7 last night, pretty cool out right now so from 81 yesterday to mid forties this morning, may still be able to get some mowing done.
I was through the Dakota's in late December on my way to Montana, there was virtually no corn combined and snow was deep in the fields. We got done harvesting eventually, but it was a slow wet harvest and LP gas was hard to get. In mid August of 2018 to mid September of 18, in 30 days we had 31 inches of rain in one months time, 2018 really sucked for fall harvest for us. The last two years we've averaged slightly over twice the average rainfall for the year each year. I've seen droughts before and said I'd never complain about the rain, but I'll admit the last five years have tried my patience pretty hard to not complain. Now everyone is talking about the corn going or gone out of condition in grain bins everywhere, one farmer alone is hauling out 40,000 bushels for manure, dozens of others have smaller amounts gone bad. Last fall was a challenge to put drain tile in, this spring isn't any better. Last week we were bucking two feet of frost yet, the week before one spot over three feet of frost, water ponded everywhere and nothing fit really, but doing it anyhow with as much as we have needing to get done. Let me tell you one thing, if you think its wet on the surface, that's nothing compared to five or six feet down, the water table is literally at the surface level. Last fall we tried to put a 12 inch main in the ground, got a few hundred feet installed and came back the next day to find it blown out and laying on top of the ground due to the high water table level. Finally got the field tiled, but it was a long slow process and the mains were running full bore all winter long, now with the spring rains, back to over capacity again. There is no end in sight right now, all I've done the last few days since its again raining is to go look at land needing tiled and doubt I'll get to it this spring unless the farmer goes no plant again this year on parts of his land.
Not too big a deal on the weather front (all puns intended) here but mowed lawn two days ago and this morning wake up to white in place of green. Only an inch or so and it probably won't last the day but still!!
You didn't by accident drop in PA and hang a Long Hard Right did ya? Almost what we see here as a Normal!!
No still at home here in NY! But this is somewhat normal for April here. What really sucks is when we get enough snow that the salt trucks come out and then we have to wait for a couple good rains to wash the road so it's safe to get the motorbikes back out! Even when it does rain some of the intersections can still be dangerous with the piles of salt the trucks leave while waiting for traffic!