Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Motor is out

Flhr62 ยท 2016-06-13 09:22

Was finally able to get the engine out.

Replies11
  1. #1RBMcCloskey2016-06-13 13:07

    The trolley overhead lift is very nice, where did you get it and what is the capacity? Bob

  2. #2lantraxco2016-06-13 13:10

    Too much fun!

  3. #3Flhr622016-06-13 15:19

    The gantry came from Harbor Freight. 1 ton capacity. Had to modify it some so it would fit outside of the tracks. Worked very well though.

  4. #4Wes J2016-06-13 21:26

    So now what?

  5. #5Flhr622016-06-14 15:58

    Think I will probably get a long block from Cat. I need it up and running again, I think that will be the quickest way. I called today, and they can't have me one for 2 to 3 weeks, so that's not going to be real quick.

  6. #6Wes J2016-06-14 18:54

    How long to rebuild it? We used to do an in-frame in 40 hours. That thing is out and has 2 less cylinders.

  7. #7kshansen2016-06-14 19:42

    Guess it all depends on what it's major problem is! If all it needs is four cylinder kits, some main and rod bearings and a valve job it would not take too long. That's assuming a good place to work and the tools to do it. About the only special tools would be those to install front and rear seals and if dealer is a good one they should be able to do the job for you in about 1/2 hour or even less if you bring a box of doughnuts and some coffee.

  8. #8Flhr622016-06-14 19:59

    It spun a rod bearing. I would like to rebuild it myself, just to do it,but I don't think I have enough spare time. I also don't know the history of the motor, so would want to do a total rebuild.

  9. #9sealark372016-06-14 21:18

    The guarantee you get with the Cat long block is worth the difference. Regards, Clark

  10. #10Wes J2016-06-14 22:28

    What is the guarantee? A rebuild should also have a warranty.

  11. #11Flhr622016-06-15 15:10

    The warranty is 1 year. My other thought about it is, when I get ready to sell it, it may look better to some knowing it has a Cat reman in it. The only reason I bought the machine is to clear my land. I have about 40 acres to go and maybe dig a couple of ponds. At best, the most I get to run it is 6-8 hours a week. Hopefully I'll be done in a couple of years, then sell it.