Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mounting hydraulic cylinders for ramps?

big builder ยท 2007-04-07 20:24

Does anyone have experience mounting hydraulic cylinders under ramps. We want to make the ramps hydraulic for our barge. I have two 18" long hydraulic cylinders and an electric hydraulic pack with remote contol. I am a little concerned about how to calculate the angles . The front of the barge is sloped ( where one end will mount) and the other will mount under the ramp. Any direction is appreciated. Thanks

Replies5
  1. #1wrenchbender2007-04-08 15:31

    Big this is not a very good drawing. And I'm not a real good teacher or explainer but maybe this will help some. The hole in bracket A will need to be positioned to where the cyl will clear the rail or bumper as in the second part of the drawing. This will be dictated by the dia. of the cyl or the amount of lift required. The distance between the holes in brackets A & B will be determind by the amount of the angle you prefer when in the loading position. Some drawings of what you have as in the slope of the barge and sizes of cyl (diamater) would really help. Maybe this will offer some help for now.

  2. #2big builder2007-04-08 17:13

    Wrench Bender. I will sketch a drawing and scan. My expalining skills are about as good as yours. By any chance do you know how to attach a scan to a post. I would guess that an ordinary scan is too large a file to attach directly?

  3. #3wrenchbender2007-04-08 18:04

    I use Paint Shop Pro to resize pics and scans. If you have this program installed I may can walk you through the process of resizeing. Would also be helpful to know the stroke of these cylinders you have. If you wish you can send the drawing via email.

  4. #4big builder2007-04-08 20:38

    Bender, I will draw and e-mail it to you to see what you think. Won't get to it until tomorrow. Thanks for all your help.

  5. #5wrenchbender2007-04-10 00:32

    When your drawings arrive I'll look them over and see what I can do. I;ll need to know how thick this section of the Barge is so I'll be able to design a suitable bracket. Also need to know the approx weight of the ramps and length. This way I can help with hinge and cyl placement. Looking foward to this project.