Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Moving a house

Bob Horrell ยท 2008-10-27 21:57

I have a customer that has a nice, well built 2800 sq.ft. house. It has some "extra" value because it has been used in a lot in films. The large lot it is on is about to be bought by the local school system for a new school. This guy wants to move it to another piece of property he owns about 40 miles away. I have seen a number of houses moved, but all the ones I have seen came off a foundation. This one is built on a cement slab. How easy, or difficult, is it to move a house built on a cement slab? Is it as cost effective as moving one on a foundation? Does anyone know of a company on the west coast that does this? Thanks in advance for any help.

Replies10
  1. #1Northart2008-10-28 01:18

    House moving ? There was a similar story about moving Brick homes years ago in Atlanta , Georgia. Beautiful brick homes , to be given away, but they had to be moved. To make way for some mega project. Think they are ended up being demolished , nobody could find a cost effective way to move them.

  2. #2stumpjumper832008-10-28 08:24

    I dont think that your going to be able to lift the slab, so your going to have to cut the house free of the slab. then jack the house up, put plates back under the walls, tie everything together, and back a trailer under it... I'd probably get some i-beams and run those the length of the load bearing walls and tie them all together creating a false foundation for the move. Probably the first thing to check is if you can get permits to move the structure up the road, if there is a narrow bridge or something along the route, all the planning and estimating might be in vain.

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2008-10-28 10:44

    Bob here is one http://www.fbhm.com/history.html

  4. #4HeyUvaVT2008-10-28 14:28

    the idea of moving a house boggles my mind

  5. #5qball2008-10-28 21:18

    you might wanna call a pro.

  6. #6landrvrnut222008-10-28 22:33

    If they are going to build a school there, let them duke it out in court, and let the school system pay for. While this may seem a bit selfish, the house has historical signifcance. It is very expensive and time consuming to move a house, let someone else pay for it.

  7. #7dayexco2008-10-29 18:21

    i've watched these guys in action numerous times...VERY professional. they make it look sooooooooooooo easy www.milbankhousemovers.com

  8. #8Dwan Hall2008-10-29 19:30

    Have you thought of moving that boat on a barge? I want to move a house. Here is what I have in mind. I own 1 acre on the beach in Juneau Alaska with good beach access. There is a house in Everett Washington along side the freeway at a marina. (maybe some of you have seen it.) Can you fill in the rest? no permit needed, 850 miles, no overhead to worry about, no bridges to cross, no DOT.

  9. #9Lashlander2008-10-29 21:48

    Hey Dwan, Have barge will travel!:thumbsup That would be some cabin sitting back in the woods. Still raining over there?

  10. #10Dwan Hall2008-10-29 22:29

    Yep still raining!!!!! Been dreaming about that move for 3 years now. Some day I will start a thread on my dreams. The ones I can post about.