Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Moving back to TX got ?s

Dozerboy · 2006-01-19 20:00

I want to move to Houston within the year. Anyone in that area suggest a good co. to work for and a pay scale range? I would like to work for a co. that does a little of everything. I prefer to run anything with tracks, demo, grading, and I would like to give mining a shot if there are any in the area. Thanks

Replies28
  1. #1D10N2006-01-21 11:28

    Not much in the way of mining out that way. Year round jobs are pretty scarce too - I thought about moving to that area, but when I hunted around (mid 99) most jobs were low pay and zero security.

  2. #2Dozerboy2006-01-21 19:39

    Thanks, but I might have to make do I need to get back out of Socal. I want TX and my gf wants the ocean.

  3. #3Dozerboy2006-06-30 20:02

    Ttt

  4. #4farmerted442006-06-30 23:32

    glad to hear ya gettin out of the calfornication. best of luck in houston...

  5. #5digger242j2006-07-01 00:26

    So, did you win the arguement, or lose the girlfriend?

  6. #6Dozerboy2006-10-12 23:53

    TTT Oops helps if I read my own threads. Thanks she is a keeper for now, we have lived together for a little over 3 years now. We have to wait until she gets done with school looks like it will be June or so, can't wait.

  7. #7digger242j2006-10-13 00:29

    Bit of advice--DON'T let her read that sentence. :spaz Women pick up on those nuances. You might've meant it totally innocently, but if she ever reads it, you'll never live it down... :crying

  8. #8Bob Horrell2006-10-13 20:37

    Digger242j, sounds like you speak from experience. If you are like me there are a few of those things in the past that come back and smack you right between the eyes ever once in a while - usually when you least expect it.

  9. #9itsgottobegreen2006-10-15 13:30

    I say get a new GF

  10. #10Wolf2006-10-16 15:17

    California Why don't you like California, dozerboy? Or is it that you just prefer the freedome of Texas?

  11. #11Dozerboy2006-10-30 21:39

    Oh no she has her faults, but so do I...probably more. The only thing that might do it is when I/we go back to TX I find some sweet little thing with a southern accent. I dislike CA so much I don't know where to start, but the biggest thing are people’s values here. And I will under no circumstances raise a family here, I was raised a country boy on a farm outside a small town and wouldn't trade that for the world. While I can't give me kids the same up bringing I can do better than here. And I miss hunting, fishing, camping, etc

  12. #12DirtDobber2007-03-22 23:42

    There are alot of big contractors in Houston and there is a lot of projects going on there and in the surrounding areas, drive through it all the time and used to live there. Wages there are a little better than most of the state and you see dozers and excavators on job sites everywhere.... sometimes I wish I could drive a D10 on the expressway to push all the traffic out of my way. Texas is a great place to live with friendly people and good luck to ya if you choose to move here.

  13. #13Dozerboy2007-03-23 22:11

    Thanks for the tip we are moving to Houston in June.

  14. #14Gmads2007-04-04 21:30

    Not sure exactly when they are breaking ground, but Granite picked up a $1.2 billion mass transit (light rail) job in Houston. Looked like alot of work for a long time.

  15. #15Gmads2007-04-04 21:33

    Oh - part of their contract dictates a prevailing wage rate that will allow them to be "the contractor of choice" to insure they can find the employees they need (for whatever that's worth).

  16. #16Woodstock2007-04-09 21:40

    If you would come more towards the Austin area I Know some large companies building subdivions, roads, utilities, you name it. Besides I could use a good dozer opperator, but its about 4 hrs from Houston.

  17. #17Dozerboy2007-04-10 21:22

    Thanks for the offer I would love to move closer to Austin, but the fiancée wants the coast. Maybe I can change her mind after living in H-town for a while.

  18. #18Woodstock2007-04-10 21:40

    Your welcome, I live about 30 miles from austin. The hill country area. I figured my jobs today I am atleast seven month behind clearing cedar and building stock tanks. Right know I have no one working for me, and I am fixing to have to start cutting hay for a while. If you ever get her up here and see the see the country she might like it. LOL If you ever get out this direction give me a shout.

  19. #19MRM992007-04-11 12:50

    Dozerboy, where are you going to move to in Houston or around? I work in Pasadena, would not consider moving here (Shell Refinery Makes Jet Fuel 3 Minutes Away!) of the 2 years that I've worked here had to shelter in place 5 times & I'm out of town working away from the shop 4-5 months out of the year. :IMO There are some nice places up in Conroe (but I like trees) also some nice areas south of houston. Give me a call when you come to town & we can meet up for some beers:drinkup :beerchug

  20. #20Dozerboy2007-04-11 23:55

    I defiantly want to make it out to Austin so she can see what she is missing. Lol oh I know all about Stinkadena. We are looking for an apartment kind of centrally located. And if we decide to stay in Houston I think we will look for a place in Cypress.

  21. #21MRM992007-06-15 18:27

    Hey Dozerboy, ya make it out to Texas yet?

  22. #22Dozerboy2007-06-17 19:43

    Not yet we leave on the 28th June

  23. #23Copenhagen2007-06-21 22:11

    Did you ever make it to Houston? I could really use some help in Odessa.

  24. #24Dozerboy2007-06-22 12:48

    Not yet, sorry but thats a bit of a drive and the wife wants... has told me we are moving to Houston.

  25. #25ForsytheBros.2007-07-20 10:48

    Hey Dozerboy- Have you considered Williams Brothers out of Houston or Balfour Beatty? Big highway contractors down that way. Just a thought.

  26. #26Dozerboy2007-07-23 18:35

    Thanks I just took a job that doesn't rely on the weather as much since it rains a few times a week here.

  27. #27EUC-B302008-07-27 21:31

    Zachry Dozerboy, Try www.zachry.com - I would think they have projects in the Houston area all the time. -KenB

  28. #28Dozerboy2008-08-03 20:45

    Thanks Ken I'll check them out