can you run a scraper down the road ? if so do you need a permit thanks ew
:beatsme we run off road trucks around town when we need to move them
Can you, sure, but theres a few things to consider. My experiences are with scrapers on the road are in ohio. I belive the requirement for permit is going to be based on weight and sq inches of tire in contact with the ground. That being said, if you have a truck in the lead and a truck following you shouldnt have any problems. If the job sites were less than a few miles away we would run our Terex Ts 14s and Cat 627s down the road. The 627s were always a pain as they are pretty wide. The 14s were down right dangerous, as you had to have the throtle wide open to turn. Also the only brakes they had were the big steel thing between the engines. We backed off on roading them when we had an operator take out a bunch of mailboxes with the draft arms. This is where it got interesting, because our operators could not move them so we called the lowboy. The driver would get there, park his truck, shut it down, fire up the pan and drive it down the road. In their defense getting these things on the trailer and chaining them down. We had a scraper trailer for the 627s, worked great, but in order to be legal there had to be an ungodly amount of chains on them. Took about an hour to hang and bind the chains.
not really relevent in todays terms but i remember dad telling me that in the sixties that the man he worked for bought 2 scrapers and a cat14 grader in indiana at auction, my dad my grandfather and a few other guys drove them home to east tennessee. he said it took three days. to stop the scrapers the chained big truck tires under the tubs so that they didn't tear up the road. and the only problem they had was that about 40 miles from home one of the tires on the scraper cought on fire, but it was just down the street from the fire house so they put it out and got a new tire and drove it on in. i guess that is what you call the good ole days......3 days on the road on a scraper
I have used the truck tire under the bowl,it works.I will move my scraper short distance,escort front and rear,and I take side roads as much as possible.I would say any more than 5 mile's,I suggest hauling it.This depends alot on where you are located,Its alot different between more heavily populated city's verses a rural setting.
There was these French Canadians who worked for a company that I did a lot of work for. The company owner and the Canadians decided that since the next job was only a couple of exits down the Interstate - nobody would mind- they would just drive on over to that site. Well a lot of people minded ! and it it did not help when his Wife arrived with one of those big jugs to post their bail - I guess it was about ten in the evening before enough change was counted out.
Rarely see a scraper running a highway these days. States got so eager for money they just about permitted the death out of that, so what you do see are boot legged machines hopping a short distance and praying like crazy they don't get stopped. Around here, I see an occasional 613 or 615 moving on pavement, but most are on trailers. With traffic the way it is here in the Phoenix metro area, a scraper the size of King Kong painted glowing orange would soon be festooned with wrecked cars and trucks. Absolutely crazy. Years ago I took the derned things everywhere on roads. Didn't matter the size. I still remember Holloway moving 660's and 651's up I-25 from Alburquerque, New Mexico to Cherry Creek Dam outside Denver. That was a three or four day trip. They ran them out of New Mexico up to near Durango too on the state road. Nearly ran me and my little Chev Vega off the road -- that was in 1971. Turbo, back in the mid-sixties, my brother and I ran LeTourneau "D" pulls all over Isabella and Clare Counties. We had four and they steered like a drunk pig. We collected more than a few mailboxes and mirrors.
a major earthmover in chicago that i worked for a few years ago was moving a string of five or six 627's through the west side of the city and one operator lost control and drove into a drycleaners, killing a person. now, loboys for every move.
Now I think it's about axle loads, most scrapers have too much on the front axle. Unless it's an ag. machine here in NY it's limited to 20 or 25,000 lbs per axle. I don't think you can get a permit anymore.
Around here, the local cops dont care, state cops do, but lots of machines loaders scrapers etc get roaded.
My Grandpa bought a Wabco (I think) at a sale in Paducah KY. The story I heard was that he could not get permits to haul it home. He had my Grandma go across the old bridge(skinny with a steel deck) and stop traffic. When she got them stopped she got him on the 2 way and he brought it across the river, and all the way home. That trip is @65 miles by interstateso it is probably 75 or so by 2 lane roads. It was one of those electric steer crazy driving things with a 6-71 in it
My friend who Is in his eary 80s told me a story about driving 3 wabco scrapers from savanna Georgia to tere-haute Indiana.It took them 4 days.This was in the middle 1950's.I dont think they had the traffic and road-rage problem back then.
Moving Scrapers My Dad told me about one time when he and other guy took 2 2t55 International Harvester scrapers from Atlanta, Georgia to Columbia, South Carolina.It was all two lane roads pre interstate and four lane roads. Guess it was the late fifities. They put there suitcases, a 55 gallon drum of diesel fuel in the bowl and old truck tire between the apron and bowl. He told we that along the way as they were traveling down the road a Pepsi cola truck went around them. At the top of the next hill the guy he was traveling with mashed in the clutch,knocked it out of gear and went around the Pepsi Cola truck as they went down the hill. My father said at the time it was one of the most crazy things he had ever saw. But that was a different time. I don`t think things will ever be as simple and care free as they were back in the 50`s,60`s and early 70`s:usa
has anyone wved a cat 621 lately i have one to move from lima oh to colorao springs lol
I may be able to get you a price. What model 621 is it.
i road run our ag tractors and disc if it is 20 miles or less
why the tire under the bowl? no brakes at all?
I's say no here also, as the last one I remember had a DOT truck behind it. and the driver in handcuffs... He had a warrant, plus no dl if I remember correctly
My old man told me a story about one time they were towing a cable scraper behind a truck. I'm guessing they had the cable tied off or something but the cable let loose going down the highway and down came the bowl! Taking out a good chunk of roadway that the company had to fix. If I ever own a scraper I'll probably remember that story when it comes time to transport it.
You need a 10:30 permit ! Any time after 10pm no one cares! ... But it would be a bad decission if you got caught, I only drive our 27`s and our rock trucks if im just going down the gravel roads where any thing is usualy legal but never on the hwy`s
I've done it a lot all over the country I know for sure it wasn't legal in CA one of our operator had cuffs slapped on him for it. I have driven my pickup to Cat rented a 27 and took off down the road to the job with it. They weren't happy when they saw me pulling out of the gate and had a few things to say to me when I came to get my truck. Here in TX you can do it all day long even in towns like Houston. At 15' wide it tends to really be a PITA even if you have a police escort.
Yep, it's a different world now. I remember as a little kid in the 60's my dad and his crew roaded old Euclid S-7's all over this part of the state; hauled D-7 dozers on old single axle R-190 International trucks and lowboys, moved cutter blades hanging from the gin poles on a R-190 winch truck, NEVER chained a dozer to a lowboy - just an oak block in front of and behind one track- and never lost one, either. Didn't have a lowboy handy? Just run a piece of equipment up on a float trailer with no dolly legs that had the front on the ground, winch it up to the fifth wheel and take off. No trailer lights? No problem, just have Billy Bob or Jackie follow you in the pickup if it was gonna get dark. And Mother was at home, making sure supper was ready when we got there. Now, farmers move more dirt with a medium sized tractor and a small dirt pan than an S-7 would haul; tri-axle lowboys are the minimum, and Mama works in an office and her 5th grade kids are much more interested in video games than in going with Dad to a dirt job or a clearing job.
We used to move drag line machines cross ways on the trailer with 50' - 60' of boom hanging out the back. No flags lights or anything. Did a lot of early morning moves, when it is dark hard to tell you were way over loaded. Yes had someone follow the truck, to keep someone from running into the boom.
A few weeks ago I saw a 623 scraper in traffic in downtown OKC right by Kirby Smith. It was patiently waiting at the light with traffic getting ready to cross Reno. Never did see where it went.
Sunday morning good time to run my CAT 865 and pans about 20 kilometres down the road to the next job, just hung a number plate on the front no problem.
Call your local DOT and ask, every area has a radically different set of rules. I remember we bought a 657 in Vegas and had another company haul it to somewhere in the midwest and drop it off. They managed to get a permit to drop it off there but for whatever retarded reason they wouldn't give us one to go get it from there and finish the trip across state. Solution? Took the pilot truck down and just drove it to the state line. Got an awfully funny look when we dropped 1,500L of diesel into it at some backwater gas station but that's it. 657s in the city, on pavement: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3oRT5AkjQc Oh and use your head too. When we got our 24H we phoned to see if we could road it. We are looking for a permit to move our 24H Whats that? a motor grader well it has rubber tires doesn't it? yes... oh well you don't need a permit for a grader OK! *hung up very quickly* Only problem is that sucker takes up a lane and a half. Sure you CAN road it but heaven help you if you ever meet anything else that's wide on the road. Going over onto the shoulder is NOT an option as it's heavy enough you sink pretty good. We don't road it anymore.
company i used to work for had 6 651's and when we had to move them under 30 miles or so they would call in 6 guys they trusted and we would road them at about 3am! Worked good and never had a problem, but if there was a soft spot in the road they found it
About 10 years ago I saw a scraper being towed with a front wheel dolly trailer like u haul uses to tow cars. Has any had any experience moving scrapers with this type of trailer. Does anyone know who makes dolly trailers large enough to do this?
I haven't seen that done for years. But I guarantee, that if a machine is moved that way it better have perfect tires and wheel bearing. About 30 years ago I assisted in moving an old Wabco 333A around 50 miles and could not keep the driver under 40 mph. We were almost home... and BOOM! good bye 33.5x33 tire.
In the seventies, I helped move Cat 651B's all over Wyoming. It was a common practice then. We used scraper dollies, or roaded them when it was a short distance. As I recall, the Dolly's were made by Cozad of California, but Trail-King might too, or they may have been made by some one else as well. In 1971, I watched as the now defunct Holloway Construction Company roaded their 651's up from Southern New Mexico to Cherry Creek Dam by Aurora, Colorado. There were about fifty of them altogether. They came right up Interstate 25, took them three days to make the trip. In 1970, on my way to Albuquerque, I was run off the road just outside of Cuba when two Kiewit 651's came barreling around a tight curve towards me. They were taking their share of the road out of the middle. Fortunately, I had a small car then and was able to squeeze by. By the late seventies, roading heavy equipment had become all but impossible as most states by then were demanding all kinds of permits and police escorts. Most would not allow roading any more, scrapers had to be moved by truck. I was still able to move some 777 Cat end-dumps from Hellertown, Pennsylvania to Easton. We took the back roads and made the move very early on a Saturday morning. In Kentucky in the early eighties, I moved Cat 773 end-dumps on back roads fairly often (that was all eastern Kentucky had then, way back roads), and was never bothered. But that's just how Kentucky was then. I also roaded Cat 992 Loaders from Stewartsville, New Jersey back to some town over in the eastern part of the state. Went right down I-70 all the way at slightly less then 25 MPH. No permits, didn't even call the cops on that one. On one 651 move in Wyoming, we took 6 of these brutes down I-25 from just north of Buffalo to thirty miles north of Douglas. We used a Wyoming trucking outfit, now defunct of course, and those boys wanted to "get er done" quick and go home!" They were out of Gillette as I recall. I was bringing up the rear as an escort and the last scraper had been delayed by a flat tire, which the driver and I changed as fast as we could. Once we got moving though, that driver wanted to catch up with the rest of the herd and he floor-boarded the throttle. Pretty soon he was clipping along at over 60 MPH, and the rear tires of the scraper were about as wide as a car tire and ballooned out to the point they were smoking against the fenders. I called him on the CB radio and suggested that unless he wanted to buy a pair of new 39.5X39 scraper tires, he better slow down to about 30 MPH and stop at the next rest area to let the ones on the machine he was dragging cool off. I've never seen since that time, scraper tires stretched out as much as those two were. He did slow down, and when we pulled over finally, I couldn't touch the tires as they were too hot. We sat there for an hour and then continued on our way. We caught up to the rest in Casper where they had stopped at Wyoming Machinery's yard. I figured I might lose one or both of those tires on the job, but they never gave me any trouble. My boss at the Buffalo Job recalled a time when they had to moved about a dozen 651 scrapers in Pennsylvania from one job to another. They decided to road them, but as a precaution, he bought a dozen sets of Cat 631 decals and covered over the 651 decals on the scrapers. As luck would have it, they got lost in some whistle-stop town and had to pause at the State Police Station to ask directions. The desk Sargent went out to see what was making all the noise and he just whistled and gave my boss the directions he needed. They couldn't get out of town fast enough he later recalled! That would have been about 1970. Good luck on your search.
Yair . . . As has been said upthread . . . times have changed. On the Gold Coast In the 'seventies we always roaded scrapers and I remember one convoy of two D9's on floats, the 333 Wabco, four 627's and a 621J winding their way through the narrow streets and traffic of the tourist strip . . . I wish I had arranged for photo's. Cheers.
Back in the early 80s I roaded my share of old 657s with sloppy steering and bad brakes...Interesting to say the least, especially crossing small county bridges with light load limits! I also got to road a 252 Wabco 150miles both ways. And more than once have driven a TS-24 in city traffic. That one had excellent brakes and steering thankfully.
Did you work for Green or Groves? What happened to Holloway?
Back in 1981, drove a 627 142 miles across Montana 1 day to next job site. The loboy kept passing me moving the track machines.
Did the lowboy driver blow the horn (and laugh) every time he passed you??? I bet he did! Andrew
More years ago than I care to remember we moved a fleet of a dozen new 631Ds 1200km from a port that shall remain nameless to a job site. The best thing was that transport was at such a premium that the scrapers didn't do the run empty. Every bowl was filled with kit like spare parts, tyres, and even in a couple of cases 15 tons of cement in 50kg bags........!!