Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mower Case drain location for Cat 315L

skyking1 · 2023-05-18 22:33

Serial number 6ym50094 My friend has a US Mower all mounted up and needs to plumb a case drain back to the tank. The local Cat shop said something about drilling the tank or some plumbing into the cap, both ideas sound bad to me. Is there a good return fitting he can Tee into safely with that case drain? It seems like a more elegant solution.

Replies7
  1. #1Nige2023-05-18 23:04

    Hydraulic schematic would have the answer. Stand by for incoming...........

  2. #2skyking12023-05-19 00:10

    Thanks Nige.

  3. #3skyking12023-05-19 17:30

    OK I have looked at the file. Perhaps follow the case drain from the swing motor to as close as possible to the tank? Would you want a check valve on the swing motor side, to keep from sending anything that way?

  4. #4Nige2023-05-19 22:44

    I think I would disconnect the swing motor case drain line and see how much flow there is in it considering the diameter of the hose. Assume double that flow if the swing motor fails and then look at the flow from the mower motor. If you think it’s ok then simply tee them together. I would worry putting a check valve in one or both lines for the back pressure it would create. As an example look at the case drains from the travel motors. They both join at the swivel and return to the tank as a single line. No reason why you can’t duplicate that up top with the swing motor and the mower case drains.

  5. #5skyking12023-05-20 00:41

    I was thinking that same thing, see what the swing motor puts out into a 2 liter bottle. Do the same with the mower. I think a filter-ish on the mower is a good bet though.

  6. #6skyking12023-07-27 22:17

    Same machine, he is seeing one of his rollers is starting to leak. Is it at all practical to add lubricant to a track roller to extend the life?

  7. #7Nige2023-07-28 04:26

    If it’s leaking now adding more lubricant will only make it leak worse IMHO. Don’t cheapskate, buy a new roller…..