Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mud and Slopes

Dirtman2007 ยท 2008-08-18 20:36

Got a bunch of responces on this video I posted on youtube. Some through the comments and some through private messages. I do this on a daily basis so It's second nature to work while the machines slips and slides. Some people think were crazy to go in the places we do with our machines. What do you think? http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=2zhfaRcFz-Y&feature=email

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies25
  1. #1curly2008-08-18 20:50

    Looks like a muddy mess and I want in!

  2. #2tootalltimmy2008-08-18 20:56

    I haven't done that sort of thing, but what I was taught was that you should always have an escape plan. Operators have died digging out deep ponds. Good video. You looked like you had it under control.

  3. #3dirt digger2008-08-18 20:58

    i dont see anything wrong there...looks like a lot of stuff we get in to...you gotta do what you gotta do...mud or dry dirt

  4. #4cat 325ccr2008-08-18 22:08

    great video !

  5. #5CascadeScaper2008-08-19 01:34

    Looks good to me, gotta get things done. Worst case scenario is that you slide down the slope and have to try all over again, ain't no thang.

  6. #6Wolf2008-08-19 02:58

    I think it's great. Once again, another awesome video by Chris. Thanks for putting it up for us (and for putting up with us).

  7. #7OCR2008-08-19 03:25

    Do it quite often myself... thought I could almost smell the mudd ... You do a good job, too. OCR

  8. #8z_halen2008-08-19 04:21

    lOve your style in the mud thier especially slewing the tracks around whilst spinning to try and get extra traction. I'm learning lots of you guys, keep it coming :drinkup:drinkup

  9. #9Squizzy246B2008-08-19 08:50

    I like the cycle speed of the Volvo...especially the rotation.

  10. #10JDOFMEMI2008-08-19 13:56

    Nice Vid Looks like another day at the office in your line of work. I like the Volvo hoes, smooth and fast, and good multifunction abilities.

  11. #11HeyUvaVT2008-08-19 14:18

    chris you are nuttier than squirrel turds my friend....

  12. #12Dirtman20072008-08-19 15:17

    HaHA, It's no fun just digging on nice flat dry ground all day. Gotta have alittle hold on to your seat sliding down the hill sideways as your working! I've slid down so many banks I don't even tense up anymore. Onetime the machine slid down the hill before I had my slop hole completely dug out. needless to say when it stopped the tracks were covered and the mud was about an inch from comming in the door. Just another day in the pond excavating business. Just some of the places I go http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee145/Letsdig18/002-7.jpg http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee145/Letsdig18/003-9.jpg

  13. #13MKTEF2008-08-19 15:36

    Our Komatsu user manual says not higher than your top rolers on the U/C.... Nice video, as said thats your daily job and as long as u feel comfortable then its ok.

  14. #14OCR2008-08-19 16:10

    I noticed that too Squizzy... and I agree... OCR

  15. #15HeyUvaVT2008-08-20 07:12

    sooo....what happens...ifff...likeeee....you get.....oh i dont know........STUCK :Banghead

  16. #16Dirtman20072008-08-20 17:02

    I can personally say That I have never gotton an excavator stuck, bulldozer and skidsteer I'll stick in a minute though... You just have to know your limits and know when it's time to turn around and get to some higher ground. I've had mud come in the door before and it's also been halfway up on the counterweight but I was able to wiggle out. Sometimes it can get alittle nerve racking:drinkup

  17. #17JDOFMEMI2008-08-21 00:45

    A slide on a nice mud slope is fun now and then. I mostly get the rocky variety. not many slop holes here to play around in. For a wild ride, take a 325 Cat down a 30ft high 2:1 slope (that makes it about 75ft long) covered with concreted rip rap. That was a lot like going down a ski hill. Nice feature there was a 15ft wide landing at the bottom, then 20 ft of water and muck. Had to get down there and clean out an inlet to prevent the dam from overtopping. Just a hint, putting the bucket down heel first only speeds up the slide, but raise it, point the teeth down, and grab a rock to keep out of the drink.

  18. #18tylermckee2008-08-22 00:36

    its even funner trying to dig in sewer and storm going up a 2:1 slope, on shot rock. build a bench, dig 5 feet of trench, drag trench box forward, move back build another bench, dig another 5 feet, drag the box forward, on and on. Had to keep shore at the end of the trench box to keep rocks from rolling into it into it, for some reason they roll down a 40% trench pretty fast. I would much rather slide on mud than on rock.

  19. #19JDOFMEMI2008-08-22 01:52

    Now I know pipe is Generally laid uphill, but in a case like that, I would seriously consider laying the pipe from the top down. Of course you might have to tie the pipe off to keep it from sliding out of the last joint, but at least you could do more than a few feet at a time.

  20. #20Bwing962008-08-22 18:18

    Volvo I am new here and have some experience on various pieces of heavy equipment, but all of that experience is at least 10 years old now and I have found myself going back into this line of work. My question is not to beat an old horse to death on the Cat vs Deere control pattern but to try and learn the Cat version. But if I can't seem to get the hang of it where would I look on the Volvo for the optional pattern change lever or switch ?

  21. #21Dirtman20072008-08-22 18:37

    Unless the brand new models have a control changer the volvo's do not come with a pattern changer. The factory pattern will be CAT style though.

  22. #22Bwing962008-08-22 18:53

    Volvo I saw on the Volvo website that it was listed as an option but thought the owners manual would give the location. The one I am supposed to run doesn't seem to have an operators manual with it.

  23. #23skip2008-08-27 20:35

    it looked stable enough to me. skip

  24. #24Dualie2008-08-28 22:43

    It would pucker my bum when the machine starts sliding sideways with the door pointed into the direction of the slide. especially with a pond at the bottom. anything else is par for the coarse.

  25. #25trenchman2008-08-28 22:58

    Hey Dirtman2007, nice pics, You must have had needed waders to take some of those pics.