Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Muffler repair on 580 LT 2

Bayrat ยท 2008-09-14 10:40

The exhaust pipe that fastens to the top of the muffler just below the cowling is loose. There is not much room to work since the cowling covers it but it looks like a flange that was somehow fastened, possibly welded, to the top of the muffler. Anyone ever weld or braze this to repair it? I'm thinking possibly a torch and coat hanger job.

Replies4
  1. #1JS580SL2008-09-14 20:07

    Sounds like you need a new stack or muffler? Not worth repairing. Other thing to keep an eye or more so an ear out for is the bolts that mount the muffler. Every once and a while our old L would do that. Use lighter duty bolts for replacement so you can get them out somehow when they break. We had one bolt that we could'nt get out.

  2. #2Bayrat2008-09-14 21:20

    I did not spend a lot of time looking at this muffler but another pipe appeared to run from the muffler to the manifold and encompassed more than just the muffler for parts. Am I wrong in thinking this? If you have information relative to the parts and cost I would appreciate it. Thanks again!

  3. #399580l2008-09-30 12:14

    I just bought a 580l T and the exaust pipe was cracked away from the muffler as you explained. I got out my miller mig, .024 wire, and 30min later fixed. I figured i would have to spot and move, spot and move, but the muffler is very thick i ran a continuous bead.

  4. #4Bayrat2008-09-30 18:27

    I have not had a chance to mess with it but will try the weld. Thanks!