Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mulchers for excavators? Mulchers VS Brushers?

Mackinsaw ยท 2023-04-15 15:25

Hey guys first time poster here. I was tossing around the idea of getting a Mulchers for my excavator. I've got a Bobcat 442 and wonder about whether or not a brusher head or would make money. I'm thinking about getting a skidsteer though with a mulcher or brush cutter aswell just wanted everyones opinions on what you'd rather have for a small buisiness between a because skidsteer and mini hoe for mulching purposes. Like I said above I already have the midi hoe but it's harder to move around because I need to pay to get it floated, where if i get the skidsteer I can throw it in the dump trailer and haul it behind my pickup. Just looking for opinions, Thanks.

Replies3
  1. #1Simon C2023-04-15 21:46

    The mulcher has to be matched to the 442's hydraulic output. Mulchers tend to make a lot of heat for the hydraulic oil especially if returning oil is going through the hydraulic valve instead of into the tank through a filter. Maybe the Bobcat dealer can tell you how many GPM of auxillary flow you have. Simon C

  2. #2CM19952023-04-15 22:03

    Welcome to the Forums Msaw! Glad to have you. There's a lot to unpack in your questions. Let's start with - What's your client base and what type of projects do you perform or want to perform?

  3. #3terex herder2023-04-16 09:15

    As someone who has been looking at a mulcher, I have came to a couple of conclusions. 1) they require lots of power to do anything (read lots of fuel) 2) they require lots of maintenance. You are beating wood into toothpicks 3) the previous items mean high cost of operation. Will your customers be willing to pay?