Hi, i have a question about possible wireless connectivity of a new multimeter i recently purchased. Firstly i know there are fairly expensive meters out there with built in connectivity but for the amount i would be using the meter paying upwards of £300 wasn't an option. I opted for a uni t model which can connect to the laptop by a usb cable. Now i'm wondering if its possible to use a wireless adapter with the meter to connect to the laptop? Anyone any ideas?
USB is USB, if there is such a thing as a wireless USB extender set, it should work. I don't think a normal USB to wireless network adapter will work though, if that's what you're thinking.
I use my computer for measurements that would be difficult (expensive) to get otherwise and have been very happy with it.I don't think it would be too complicated to get the data transferred wireless with the right hardware,I don't know what is out there these days.My newest Fluke meters are probably 20 years old or more. I built a shutter speed tester that uses my sound card to measure the shutter speed of the cameras that I work on and I think that it is pretty accurate.I use the free software Audacity and plug the tester into the mic input to take the measurements.You can get many free programs to take measurements,a scope,sweep generators,function generators etc and more.Since they are now marketing wireless printers I don't think that a wireless meter would be a stretch at this level of technology.Ron G
Got a smart phone with a USB port? mini network there if you do...... meter to phone, phone to laptop....
I have the remote screen fluke. Works pretty good. Cant get to far out of site of the meter though. I like it for taking the screen in the cab while I'm testing the operation.
Cheers for the reply's guys. I was thinking of a wireless transmitter which would plug into the serial cable in the meter and then transmit data to my laptop when i'm in the cab using the diagnostic software. I think the amount of trouble trying to find a setup that would work it may just be easier using some longer serial cables. Thanks for the advice.
What you are talking about sounds like something with Bluetooth connectivity.
This meter is great and sometimes is one of the best assets. Make sure you get one made within the last two years though, otherwise the batteries die within a month
Just thinking here,oh,oh,..........you could use two laptops,one to monitor the test point and another to VNC into it from a remote location and you could take your readings from another country if you wanted to.The poor mans way.Ron G
With all this usb and Bluetooth talk, I'm kinda feeling old fashioned for still clinging tight to my Simpson 260-8
I still use my 260.I'm not sure without looking if the "8" is analog or digital but mine is the analog model.It is very accurate too.Ron G
The -8 is analog and still looks like the old original, even has the Bakelite case. It is the newest version, I love mine. About the only change is they did away with the 5kv jack and made it 1kv. Once you use one it gets in you!
The fluke meters have the little LCD sliding sideways scale below the numbers and believe it or not, it seems to react the same or faster than a Simpson. We have a Simpson; it sits on the front desk at the office as a display piece. I know I would break the glass or something if I tried to drag it around with me in the truck.