Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Murphy Diesel

Mr plow ยท 2013-07-02 20:00

Good day, I was at my brothers friends place the other day. He has an old home built saw mill (looks professionally made) It is run by an old Murphy Diesel out of an old Northwest dragline. This thing is a piece of engineering genius. It has two intake and two exhaust valves for each cylinder. Full throttle only turns at 900 rpm. Made my day to see it. Wish I had taken some pictures. We're these a popular engine, I had never seen one before? Martin

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies17
  1. #151kw2013-07-02 20:59

    If I am not mistaken they run the opposite direction also. Very neat engines!

  2. #2Blmreject2013-07-04 15:34

    From what I've heard they were popular in tug boats I have run a 50 ton little giant with a Murph. It sounded awesome. Sadly I don't have any info for you, sorry

  3. #3SeaMac2013-07-04 16:32

    Just a bit of family history regarding Murphy Diesel and Northwest Crane. My Father's cousin's -two brothers- purchased and owned Murphy Diesel and Northwest Crane either near then end or shortly after the Great Depression. Here in South Florida in the early 80's there used to be a few Northwest 41 Draglines still in operation, from a conversation I was fortunate enough to have had with one of their Operator's lead me to believe they were extremely well built, both machine and engine. Northwest 25D Cable Excavator

  4. #4td14steve2013-07-06 19:59

    http://youtu.be/2BCB2h9HNN0 IF you look up Zagray farm northwest on You tube they have a real nice 80d Northwest shovel operating there. I think they have a show coming up its worth a trip for anyone in the New England area. I haven't been out in a few years but might go this year. Steve Trying to attach a link to it maybe it will work.

  5. #5kshansen2013-07-06 22:12

    I never worked on one but a guy who worked with me for years his father was big into the old Murphys and Northwest Cranes. He had been a SeaBee back in WWII. He passed away about 10 years ago but the last I knew he had a rebuilt Murphy in his garage he was trying to sell. As I recall the over head cams were turned by a shaft with worm gears on each end.

  6. #6Buddy2013-07-12 07:12

    Murphy diesels. Darn good engines. I have several Murphy engines here in the building that I have saved from scrap. I also have several Northwest machines with Murphy's. I collect restore both , the Northwest machine and Murphy diesels.

  7. #7mowingman2013-07-24 12:36

    Those are great engines. I worked for a company during the 80's, that had over a dozen Northwest shovels and draglines. All of them had Murphy diesels in them. We never had any downtime with those engines. There was a Murphy engine dealer and service shop in Dallas back then. However, we hardly ever had to buy parts or get any service from them. I believe Murphy diesels are still produced, however the company operates under a different corportate name now.

  8. #8ol'stonebreaker2015-05-01 23:58

    I worked around a Murphy diesel gen set in the 70's and into the early 80's. Had very "unique" and messy oil & fuel filter system. In the winter months w/ a small piece of screen cloth set on the exhaust manifold and a can of soup or chili set on it, it would heat up just right in about 20 minutes. Mike

  9. #9kshansen2015-05-02 07:18

    I actually have a pair of injectors for a Murphy, I'm thinking I was told they were rebuilt. They are in nice wooden boxes held together with wing nuts. They obviously felt that they would not be used soon so they packaged them for the long storage. Also have somewhere a special splined tool for installing them. The guy who gave these to me worked on Murphys and Northwests from back in the early 1950's a great guy who passed away several years ago. About the only guy who when he said reach down in amongst all those gears on a Model 6 while engine was running and hit this when I pull this lever I would do it without questioning! I like him still have all my fingers and that old crane started to move on it's own again so it could be loaded on a truck to go to auction, hope it found a good home!

  10. #10Former Wrench2015-05-12 18:29

    In the early 70"s I was working at a shop where a call came in to do a Murphy repair. A 300 HP model that powered a small sawmill operation along the Columbia River broke down. It was the first repair in its 22 year life. The ring gear wore out from being started so many times. Other than that, it was in perfect shape.

  11. #11Peter_H2015-06-01 10:26

    Interesting topic ! I love those old diesel engines.

  12. #12Trashman2015-06-01 12:42

    Evidently Murphy is still conducting business in Florida. http://murphydiesel.com/index.html

  13. #13swinters2016-03-19 10:25

    We ran murpheys on our cedarapids rock crusher until 2005 when our last on died Great old engines & good on fuel I have a crate of rebuilt injectors part number MD 6491A as well as some NOS murphey parts

  14. #14RonG2016-03-19 11:06

    Does anyone remember the Buda diesels?I worked in a sawmill with one.Ron G

  15. #15mitch5042016-03-19 15:48

    Buda diesels became part of Allis-Chalmers, the first diesels badged A-C were rebadged Budas.

  16. #16907diesel2016-11-18 04:34

    murphy hi was wondering if u knew what model engine your injectors were for

  17. #17brion2018-03-27 14:40

    hello mr murphy . i have a question i have a 3 cylinder murphy . do you no about what hp it would be i dont even no rpm s not much info out there on these old engines thanks for any help brion