Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Must haves for hauling dirt, rock etc with a dump truck?

BASETRUCKING ยท 2016-06-01 23:03

High I am looking at buying my first dump truck and am knowledgeble in what i will be hauling and how much, no need for triple axles, definitely needs to be around a 14 yard, looking to buy used. My question is what are some specifics that i should look for on the truck when i am looking, do I need are ride what is the best option as far as locking in the axles goes, camel back suspension? and have y'all had any good luck with certain models. price range under 60k

Replies7
  1. #1movindirt2016-06-01 23:37

    I would consider adding a liner in the bed at some point, makes the sketchy loads come out a lot easier! I would want at least 350hp, 400hp+ is better, same thing anything over a 9 speed is nice. If you are spending $60k you should be able to get a pretty nice truck. What state are you in?

  2. #2CM19952016-06-02 07:12

    Welcome to the Forums Basetrucking! I would try and find a pre-emission truck pre 2007, preferably one in nice shape in the early 2000's. That will be difficult because everyone in is looking for one of those.

  3. #3Former Wrench2016-06-02 17:36

    Dollars are dollars so what is available in your area compared to your bankroll will decide for you. I come from the Pacific NW and Alaska so I am partial to heavy frames like in logging and oilfields. My opinion is that the little bit less weigh and hauling fee on the gross end comes out to be less expensive than replacing twisted frame rails. Finding something plumbed for a pup is a plus too. If you are going to be off pavement, go with more gears (13-18). Good hunting.

  4. #4nowing752016-06-02 20:46

    A big heavy tow strap for when you get stuck

  5. #5nowing752016-06-02 20:49

    If it is a double frame truck make sure it's not rusty and cracking the frame

  6. #6still learn'n2016-06-02 22:24

    We bought a 2006 378 Pete last fall with 20,000 lb front end and 46,000 lb rears with a 20,000 lb lift axle which we can't legally load up in ks but I would go with heavier front end if it was me one reason is for us it seems like if just hauling around jobsite it gets overloaded so the 2 steering gears make it steer easier not so worn out at end of day! Jerry Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  7. #7wilko2016-06-02 23:25

    How's your back? Air bag suspension rides nice but lacks stability. Pad suspension is the most stable but will beat you to death. Anything without a walking beam will be stuck 87 times a day.