Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mustang 2040 keeps stalling

paulroyans · 2016-01-26 18:05

Hello, my Mustang 2040 skid steer will randomly stall. It will start up and run with no problem till it happens again. There doesn't appear to be any pattern to it. I am thinking it is a faulty engine protection device (low oil, high temp etc) but the engine is not hot and has all of its fluids. Does anyone know exactly what devices are fitted that could cause this? If i can get a list i will work thru them to find the culprit. Thankyou, Paul

Replies21
  1. #1apetad2016-01-28 12:28

    If your 2040 has the control module (Left upper part of rops to the left of the fuses) without green lights, replace it with the new module. If yours already has the green led lights it will tell you which circuit is shutting it off!

  2. #2paulroyans2016-01-28 19:03

    Thanks apetad i will give it a shot!

  3. #3paulroyans2016-01-28 19:05

    Control Module price? Any idea what they are worth?

  4. #4apetad2016-02-05 16:41

    $230 ish

  5. #5paulroyans2016-02-07 18:42

    Thanks apetad. $550 here in Australia, i bought one last week. Now i just need to work out what each of the LEDS mean.

  6. #6apetad2016-02-16 19:21

    They are kind of self explanatory, Let me know how it goes, I don't think you're quite ready to send it to our shop in Texas!

  7. #7paulroyans2016-02-17 04:06

    Hello, When it stalls the Hyd Chg In LED goes out. Any idea what this means? Thanks, Paul

  8. #8apetad2016-02-18 10:39

    It means you are not getting a signal into the module from the hydraulic charge pressure sensor, It shuts off to prevent you from destroying expensive hydraulic system components in cases of clogged hydraulic filters etc. I'll check with my tech next time he's in here -but- I know the system measures the hydraulic pressure provided to the drive pumps with some sensor somewhere, restricted -OR- wrong hydraulic filters can cause this and non-mustang filter substitutes are almost always wrong. Wrong hydraulic oil can cause this, bad sensor or bad wire possible, I don't know where the sensor is located but it is part number 090-32444 according to the electrical schematic - measures hydraulic system "Charge Pressure" GOOD LUCK, Where are you in Australia? There are a couple of absolutely fantastic dealers "Down Under"

  9. #9paulroyans2016-02-18 18:35

    Thanks apetad, I am in Perth, Western Australia, but about 50km from civilisation and no way to transport the machine. I replaced the pressure switch about 9 months ago as it was leaking. I might start with changing the hydraulic filters and see what happens? Paul

  10. #10paulroyans2016-02-29 17:28

    Hello again, i replaced the hydraulic filters with genuine parts and it is still doing the same thing. Any ideas? Thanks Paul

  11. #11apetad2016-03-04 11:56

    Next step is to check the charge pressure

  12. #12paulroyans2016-03-14 02:54

    Is there a test point in the hydraulic system that i can connect a pressure gauge to? Is that how i would check the charge pressure? Thankyou

  13. #13apetad2016-03-14 12:40

    Sorry, I'm not a mechanic. I have seen them check the pressure at the auxiliary hydraulic coupler before, on the 2040 it's supposed to be 2500 psi there, The spec sheet lists 150 as the charge pressure specification but I don't know where to check it, Maybe where that switch you replaced screws in?

  14. #14paulroyans2016-03-14 18:33

    No worries thankyou. If the charge pressure is too high there must be a pressure relief valve not working?

  15. #15apetad2016-03-17 12:38

    This is "Greek" to me, but found it in the manual. (Of course all I can get from the Service Tech is "Bring it in")

  16. #16paulroyans2017-07-05 20:16

    Hello Apetad, still having this issue. I bought the new control module but not sure which green lights SHOULD always be on or not? When it did run they weren't all on? Is there a guide for these? Thank you

  17. #17paulroyans2017-07-05 20:17

    Hello Apetad, still having this issue. I bought the new control module but not sure which green lights SHOULD always be on or not? When it did run they weren't all on? Is there a guide for these? Thank you

  18. #18Jon17892021-04-25 22:23

    I have a 1999 Mustang 2042 and am wondering the same thing. It was already upgraded to the LED control module before I bought it. When it runs the only light that is lite up is the “hold sol out” but I don’t know what that means. What should be lite up? It runs intermittently (with no rhyme or reason) but when it doesn’t you have to hold the key to the start position or it will die. I have also had issues with the parking brake not releasing (also intermittently as well, it seems like once it warms up, this goes away). Thought?

  19. #19apetad2021-05-19 12:08

    Lights supposed to be ON Left hand Start in / Ignition in / seat belt in Right hand hold sol out / hyd chg in / park,lift,tilt, & aux out

  20. #20Banks642023-09-09 19:56

    Hi Paul, did you end up sorting out your stalling issue, I have a Mustang 2044 that starts then stops after 3 to 5 seconds, also in Perth WA

  21. #21Mountain mustang2025-05-10 02:36

    Hi, Anyone still on this forum? Got a mustang 2040 with similar issue as above. Just stops with no pattern. Sometimes extra revs helps, but not fix. Have a local mechanic doing some research. The only light at start up is seatbelt. Paulroyans is in Perth. Where do you get your module from (if you’re still here). Feel it’s hydraulic pressure when changing directions! Cheers