Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mustang 2086 w/ Cummins 3.3 running rough with smoke

five20too ยท 2016-10-04 20:13

Hey all I don't post here much because I can pretty much read anything on here that I need to know but I'm having a problem that's whoopin my tail. I was running my skid steer a few weeks back and it started running rough with a loss of power and some white smoke. I limped it back home and drained the remaining fuel, twice, with new filters both times. The 1st time it did seem to have some water in the fuel but it may have just been me being skeptical. Anyhow, it still ran rough. Then I put a heavy dose of Lucas through it and no change. Then I replaced the fuel lines, both the feeder and the return. No change. The turbo shaft is tight with no signs of oil leaking. I have been running it stationary without any of the air filter piping hooked up and no change. I popped the radiator cap while it was running and no bubbles. It doesn't eat coolant or make oil. I cracked the injector lines while it was sputtering and each time I did the engine would lag, letting me know they are all firing. The thing about it is that it starts right up every time. No smoke at start up. It runs great up to about 3/4 throttle. When I go past that it will run fine for about 5 seconds and then run like hell for the same, then back to running good/bad/good... So it's not constantly running bad but when it does it's bad. The smoke is really rich and it will burn your eyes and make them water. I called a couple fuel injection systems rebuild places and they were really no help. Just said take it to a service center but I really don't have the funds for that. I can work on it but I'm kind of at a loss right now. New injectors are $185 each from Cummins and I'm not sure about an IP rebuild. Can anyone loan any expertise towards my issue? Sorry for being so longwinded but I wanted to include everything.

Replies11
  1. #1thepumpguysc2016-10-05 06:30

    Sounds like you have an advance problem.. Have you tried moving the injection pump a few degrees?? Possibly a fuel restriction also.. I found a website while I was researching your problem.. 4btswaps.c o m

  2. #2five20too2016-10-05 16:59

    I haven't tried that yet but I can. Would I rotate it away from the engine or towards, or should I just mark the IP and try a little in both directions? If there is a fuel restriction problem then it has to be from the IP forward. There was no restriction coming from the tank when I changed out those lines and I even removed the hard line from the filter housing to the IP and everything looked good. I ran a part number check on the IP and it came back as being made by Zexel. Not too sure if that helps but maybe they are notorious for certain problems. Thanks for the website. I will check it out tonight.

  3. #3thepumpguysc2016-10-05 17:42

    There IS a known problem w/ the Zexel & Bosch VE pumps.. The main aluminum housing wears a groove inside where the steel roller advance cage rides.. and sticks the advance piston.. Its due to the fact of the low lubricity in the fuel.. You can get the injectors tips replaced for ALOT LESS than whole injectors from cummins. Probably save you around 100.00 apiece. Do you know where the return line coming off of the injection pump is.?? Get the engine to act up and loosen the return screw a few turns and see if it still acts up.. while its leaking return fuel.

  4. #4five20too2016-10-05 23:18

    Thanks for the info. I will try it tomorrow night and report back with my findings

  5. #5thepumpguysc2016-10-06 05:30

    We have a "little storm" blowing thru this weekend, so if I don't answer right away, it just means I lost internet connection.

  6. #6five20too2016-10-06 22:33

    I sent you a PM. Stay safe!

  7. #7five20too2016-10-23 23:57

    Well I was able to get it all fixed up and running like new, thanks to thepumpguysc! He was the most helpful person I've never met. He emailed me back and forth, having me do different tests and try different things. It ended up being some dirt/sludge that got sucked in when I ran it low. I had to disconnect the fuel line from the filter head and blow with compressed air through the filler neck. A good bit of dirt came out there but the biggest problem was the fitting on the head itself. There is a screen that screws into the end of the banjo bolt and it was totally clogged up. Cleaned it and the fittings, blew out the head and she's back to running perfectly. Thanks again to thepumpguysc for his help! I really thought it was an IP or injectors...

  8. #8five20too2016-10-24 00:03
  9. #9five20too2016-10-24 00:05
  10. #10thepumpguysc2016-10-24 09:10

    Happy to help.. I KNEW what the problem was.. but FINDING the culprit is another thing.. THAT was ALL on YOU.. GOOD FOR YOU for sticking with it and actually doing the work.. Lesson here.. don't run it low on fuel.. LOL Happy tractoring.. TPG

  11. #11Ecrig2017-10-18 18:22

    I came across this thread searching for some answers on the EXACT same symptoms I'm having with my cat 277b skid steer. So far I've installed 4 injectors, new lift pump, and fuel filter. I've eliminated fuel tank and filter housing by running a separate tank of good fuel straight to the injector pump. Still breaking up at WOT and smoking. Any ideas?