Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mustang 2109… Help, please

ChidJ · 2025-04-08 11:40

Working on a 2109. It cranks but won’t start. Normally when I turn the key, I can hear the fuel pump, but now I don’t. Crank speed is good, I replaced the relays just in case, checked all the fuses (all good), all the normal lights come on, just not starting. I’m going through right now checking voltage throughout but wanted to ask here in case someone knows the shortcut to the solution. BTW it ran fine a couple days ago. Did some bush hogging with it. Just figured I’d include that in case that’s relevant. Also, it has the Perkins as opposed to the Cummins

Replies6
  1. #1Simon C2025-04-08 18:39

    Post a picture of the schematics if you have, if you do not have then you will eventually need to buy as pretty hard to guess what is where. Maybe someone else has one. Check for power at the fuel pump. Does the battery hold up under load. Lots of things to test. Simon C

  2. #2ChidJ2025-04-08 21:02

    Batteries are brand new and have plenty of juice. My service manual is missing the one page for the schematics. 10-33. Previous owner must’ve removed it. I’ll get back to it in the morning. I think it’s now throwing a code but unfortunately with this being an older machine, no screen to tell me what it is. Just a flashing seatbelt light. I’ll have to figure out a solution to plug in, methinks

  3. #3Welder Dave2025-04-09 03:29

    Does it require the seatbelt latched to start? If you don't hear the fuel pump and you used to, I'd start there.

  4. #4ChidJ2025-04-11 14:31

    Apologies for the late reply. I call it a seatbelt light. It’s really for the armrest that stows overhead. There’s no sensor for the actual seatbelt. Service manual says if it’s lit and stays on, the lap bar/arm rest sensor should hunks it’s up. If it’s flashing, it means… some electronic error. I’ll need the tool to diagnose it. Time to do some shopping. Does anyone know if there is a common/generic code reader that will work with older Mustang skid steers? The receptacle for the ECM is sort a cylindrical shape with pin holes

  5. #5Welder Dave2025-04-12 02:27

    I drove a Mustang that needs the (safety) lap bar down in order to start. If it's up there's a red warning light. My skid steer is the opposite but has an override if you stall it. What does "sensor should hunks it's up" mean?

  6. #6ChidJ2025-04-12 09:37

    Haha I don’t know how that autocorrected to that. Can’t figure out how to edit but just meant to say, “sensor says it’s up”