Hi, I just picked up a Mustang 440 skidsteer. Has anyone seen a V6 in one before I find it odd that they put such a big motor in it does not run probably going to take the motor out. Any suggestions on something inexpensive to put back
The 441 we got has the Perkins 4cyl ... I "think" it's the 4.203.2 The NH L785 has that also.
Thanks I’ll research that
You probably only need 25 or 30 HP. Can probably find the HP spec. online. I wouldn't look for a 4-203 Perkins. They weren't very popular and parts could be hard to find. I'd look for a Kubota or Isuzu if you wanted diesel but first try and get an idea what shape the rest of the machine is in. I'd be a little worried if the hyd. pumps could be damaged from the V6 turning at a higher RPM than spec. A gas engine would need a governor. A Continental F162 or newer F163 out of a forklift or Lincoln welder could be an option. A little higher HP though. A welder engine should have a governor attached. There is a smaller Y112 engine that was in a Miller Big 20 but they aren't as common. Welder repair shops may be a source for a used engine.
I’ll look in to those. Hopefully it did not ruin the the pumps like you mentioned. I have to pick up the loader on Friday I will keep you all posted.
A lot of unknowns on that machine. I'd proceed with caution. It could be a money pit and never work properly.
To late now I’m committed. I didn’t pay too much for it.
Sometimes it's best to cut your losses. If you could find an engine cheap enough it's worth some experimenting.
Thanks Dave, I tried researching the motor info you originally sent I could not find anything on eBay however sometimes certain keywords brings different motors up. If you happen to see one online please send me the link so I can get an idea of The motor. Thanks
I don't know if there's many engines on eBay. Could try looking under dismantled skid steers on Machinery Trader. You'd need to contact some repair shops if you're looking for an engine from a welder or other equipment. Could try googling 30-40 HP engines. There are some places that specialize in used and new engines. Maybe an engine out of a reefer trailer. Sorry, I just don't know where you might find a suitable engine. Maybe skid steer dealers might have dismantled machines with salvageable engines?
Thanks
Amazon find a cheap little diesel or continue with the V6 idea make a quarter mile skid steer call it skid marks
Hahaha
I can't remember what brand but I have seen at least 2 skid steers with the small Ford v6.
wow, this was a first for me
Ford 4-98 4 cylinder's were somewhat common in skid steers. It's basically an industrial Pinto engine. Not a bad engine but hard to get parts for now.
Here are a few more pictures. I finally got it home.
I am going to try to start this motor just to see if the hydraulics work. I think that would be the smart thing to do first. I traveled two hours away to pick it up when originally I talked to him he said he had all the shields and the rear gate. after he loaded it with a crane, he said he doesn’t have the rear gate I was pretty upset, at that point I had no choice but to take it I already had money and traveling and my time so I ended up getting it. Does anyone have any ideas on making a rear gate or maybe have one for sale? Also need some of the shields
You need the side shield for sure. Did you take $500 or so off the price because the seller lied he had the shields and rear gate? I would have told the guy to find them or walk away.
Yeah, he took some money off not quite 500 but yeah 3
May we ask what you had to pay for a machine such as this?
Looks like a 4.3 boat engine
I paid scrap value
Cool. I was hoping to hear that. Good luck getting it going.
4.3 gm engine has flywheel housing and intake from boat shouldn’t be to hard to get parts or find another engine
It's way overkill but still needs the RPM limited to about 2800 RPM and a governor to give consistent torque. I knew a guy that thought he could replace a Waukesha diesel in a big generator with the a gas engine out of a vehicle. It was the back up generator for his chicken farm. Very necessary in case of a power outage. He had put a Chevy 305 or 350 in an old forklift so figured he could do the same with the generator. He figured a gas engine was just a lot easier to deal with and would start easier in the cold. He put a couple starters on the Waukesha that annoyed him too. I think he just wasn't familiar enough with diesels. It was a requirement that he had to start the generator once a month just to make sure it would work if required. He owned an auto repair shop and salvage yard too but had no concept of governors or that they were kind of built in on diesels. I asked him how he was going to control RPM under different loads. On a forklift you can adjust the throttle as needed but a generator needs much more precise control. I think he figured if he had enough HP the speed wouldn't vary much. In the end I think he took a good running generator and basically turned it into scrap.
...and apparently a place to attach the waterski rope on back.....
A skid steer water ski boat? Somebody falls and you can scoop them up.
I wonder if it’s an industrial 4.3 like you’d find in a forklift. If so and assuming it’s more or less as it was born it shouldn’t turn more than 3,000 rpm give or take. Heck that motor will outlast the entire machine and leave you a power plant for something else. You almost can’t kill those 4.3’s with some periodic maintenance. Interesting choice for a swap though…..
Definitely helps if it is an industrial engine. Maybe if the RPM was limited it could be ran half decently using a throttle pedal??
I spoke to the owner that put the v6 in the 440 he said he never got it running (Unfinished project) I can clearly see that because there’s wires all over nothing is actually hooked up. I attempted to start the V6. I want to see if the hydraulics work if they do then I’m going to buy a smaller motor. I really don’t wanna put any more money into it unless the hydraulics work. Is the hydraulic system on that 440 pretty bulletproof? all lines are intact. All cylinders are there as well intact. I took a battery and turned the motor over hooked a wire from the distributor straight to the battery. There is power there but no fire going to have to take the distributor cap off and see what’s going on inside. I just haven’t had no time.
It's almost impossible to tell what shape the hyd's. and Hydrostatic drive pumps and motors are in. You don't want to start the engine until you are sure the pumps are full of oil and primed. The hyd's. for the loader are minor compared to hydrostat pumps and motors. Those are thousands of dollars each! When you talked to the owner did he give you any info on the motor and why it was put in and also how the machine ran before the motor switch?
You would think the first guy know something about the machine and thought it was worth putting a engine in? I bought a Case 1835 with the engine missing . I then bought a ford car . It had a 4 cylinder fuel injected coil pack engine . I made a intake for a carb and rigged a points typ distributor to the end of the over head cam. I built a stand for it that was the right height to go in the machine and made it a place to set when i made sure it would run. I got it running and got a coupler for the drive. I was ready to install it . It sat around for a few months then one day i was going buy a tractor dealer and they had a case 1835 on the front row for some were under $3500.00 . My brain spun around and around on what to do. I ended up buying the running one. I had used other peoples skid steers and borrowed my brothers for weekends at a time but owning my own has made it very clear how handy they are. Looking back i dont regret what i did . I had 2 engines that would have been a better easyer deal than what i started to use but had other plans. Life is a big gamble sometime you make the wright move and win some times you dont.
You'd think the machine was worth putting another engine in but if the original engine was beyond repair what was the reason, abuse, poor maintenance, etc.? That's why it's hard to tell if the hydrostat and hyd's. are in good shape or on their last legs.
He said the motor had low compression
Why didn't he just fix it then? Would be a lot easier than all the work he did to put a different engine in.
Because he probably had his Astro Van "project" in the yard and figured why the hell not. If the compression is good enough, it shouldn't be too hard to get going. At least it's old enough to simply wire up and swap a working carb on it.
I agree if I had the original motor, I would try to rebuild it, but he probably had that laying out in the yard and put it in. I tried to start it, but I can’t get no fire. I got it turning over there is power to the single wire coming off the distributor but no spark trying to figure out why.
No spark at all with a tester? Dizzy ground? Rotor, cap, etc?
The wire off the distributor there is power, but when I take the plug wire off, no spark this weekend I will pull the distributor cap off and see how the rotor looks
Well, I took the distributor cap off. I don’t see anything broke, the rotor and cap look pretty good?
hi I bought the mustang 440 from you here is the new engine on it , 35 hp deutz air cooled plenty of power