Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mustang Hammer

daniel790d ยท 2026-03-05 14:51

So I got this Mustang HM 1500 hammer that I bought a year ago. When I bought it it worked fine. I didn't use it until about 2 months after that and now its not working properly. At first it hammers for about 5 times then after cycling hydraulics a couple times it starts working ok for about 5 minutes and then it stops again. Sometimes it will work for 15 minutes without an issue then it stops hammering all the way. At times when I press the button it wouldn't hammer until after I released the button then it hammered once. I can see pressure hose load up so I know oil is coming to the breaker. I've had return line plumbed directly into hydraulic tank but it didn't help. I also had it laying on the ground for those 2 months when I wasn't using it could this have caused my problem? Could this be low nitrogen or internal seal wear? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Replies6
  1. #1treemuncher2026-03-05 20:08

    I've got the HM1000 for my Menzi Muck. Get online and download the owner's manual for your model. If you can't find it, (I could not) contact the manufacturer directly with your model and serial numbers and they will send you a PDF manual for it. I contacted them at [email protected] First thing to check is the nitrogen pressure. If that is too low, it's not going to work well, if at all. After that, check your hydraulic pressures.

  2. #2daniel790d2026-03-05 22:30

    Where do i check nitrogen pressure? I cant see a charge port anywhere and what should pressure it be at?

  3. #3treemuncher2026-03-06 08:55

    Read the manual. I do not have proper knowledge about your model. Get the correct specs from the manufacturer so you don't mess it up. Like my avatar suggests, I'm not in the clown show.

  4. #4apetad2026-03-09 15:37

    Some hydraulic breaker shops can source aftermarket parts that will work on the Chicom hammers.

  5. #5daniel790d2026-03-20 22:34

    So I got a manual from Fel-Tech hammer. Not for a mustang though seems it's actually a Tramac hammer or very similiar. Charged my accumulator and I'm still having problems. I forgot to mention in my original post that when I got the hammer I had return and pressure hoses switched around and I cycled hydraulics a couple times that way. Could I have damaged the valve inside that switches flow? It works very good now at first but it only lasts for about 2 minutes. When it didn't fire I held the button lifted boom and slammed it down a little and every time it fired once right after I slammed it down.

  6. #6smifwal2026-03-22 01:41

    my hammers are real finiky when they are low/or over charged