Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

MX Track Building

J Olender ยท 2010-04-26 23:49

I know there are some of you out there. Are you getting any of this type of work? Are you able to find people who are willing to pay more than $2500? I'd love to see some pics too.

Replies9
  1. #1jonathan7342010-04-27 12:50

    Things are really slow, I only do word of mouth advertising so to speak. That might be my problem, but I only do it for fun and to get to ride different places. Right now the only thing I have heard is basically "maintenance". I think World Minis are going on right now out in CA, might be worth heading over there to pass out some flyers. Goodluck

  2. #2J Olender2010-04-27 14:46

    Jonathan734, thanks for response! I'm just trying to think outside the box a little. With things being so slow and I have the equipment and the interest, I thought it might be another way to create income. I've built about 8 tracks over the last few years. Most of them are pretty low key though!:drinkup

  3. #3Excavator7592010-04-27 19:21

    i build ten or so a year.i have had some range from $20,000 to $1000. i know a guy that just builds them for a living. has a brand new dump T300 and 650J. he has his name out there and keeps busy with it. but to be honest i think my work is way better having more creativity and an eye for propper grading and water shedding(An excavator that builds tracks, not a guy with a dozer that can shape jumps). i have only done one this year and i did it for peanuts because some guy with borrowed equipment under cut me. ill try and post some pics this week as i just rebuilt mine.

  4. #4pafarmer2010-04-27 20:29

    I have built a few locally this spring with the great weather. Nothing fancy............fun stuff and always a new place to ride. 1k to 10k range.....have dozer will travel......Word of mouth and a happy customer keeps people coming my way. Loads of time on my hands and this type of work is interesting to me. I too have a keen eye for water darinage and other things most never even consider when earth is moved around from where it once was...........

  5. #5jonathan7342010-04-27 22:45

    I really enjoy track building, but I would be stressing if I had to do it for a living. I have a bit of a funny story about it. A while back I was building a track for a guy when his buddy came over and told me how he should be building the track because he had quite a bit more experience than me, and he did. So I obliged just to make him happy. He redid a couple drainage areas and improved on them, which was a little hard to swallow. Then I had him try to make a triple, the worst looking jump I've ever seen. We had a good laugh about and I'm sure if he would have seen or played with a few he would have picked it up. I just thought it was interesting how hard it was for him to visualize the flow of a jump.

  6. #6watglen2010-04-28 06:28

    The how often do you go back in to maintain the track after its built? I built a track for myself on time, and it didn't take long before weather and use had ruined it.

  7. #7Bob Horrell2010-05-03 21:00

    Do any of you guys have the customer sign a liability waiver when you build them a track? I have a real nasty reading waiver I have them sign that absolves me of any responsibility should someone get hurt on the track. It talks about permanent disability, death etc. Even though I have them sign the waiver, I still worry about the liability. It is not a matter of IF someone is going to get hurt, but when and how bad.

  8. #8jonathan7342010-05-03 23:36

    No, I have never had anyone sign any type of waiver. My form does say, "dirt renovation for landscaping". Technically its all just for looks, ha ha. All of my clients have been pros or accomplished amateur racers. I don't worry to much with them, but you are probably right in having a form.

  9. #9pafarmer2010-05-04 16:56

    The owness is on the property owner not the man and machime that built the track. We amount to nothing more than a service. Thats what my lawer told me anyway. But we all know that anyone can file suite for any reason at any time so proceed with caution would be my advise .