Thought I'd post my last major project. Before & After. A 97 Case 580SK. Found on side of road in poor condition but the price was right. Now it's a big Tonka Toy with a new life and hard working she is. The Last picture is a Pine stump that measured 8' across the root ball. It makes a person feel great to see a machine work hard for you after rebuilding.
Nice job, what do you use it for messing around at your house?
Use I thought it would make a good lawn ornament. Just Kidding ! Ponds, Borrow Pits, Trenches, Ditches, Carving Pasture out of Jungle, Making money
Are those 'hoe levers painted Case Power Red? I'm plum impressed. Thanks for sharing your pics. Did it need much mechanical work? Dustin
Worn out-Sloppy, Creakin and a leakin Mechanically this hoe was worn out and it was leaking fluid from all the cylinders and hoses. It was formerly used for concrete work. The Cummins motor was in great shape And well maintained. I rebuilt all the cylinders and replaced most all Bushings, Pins and hoses. I still need to replace the Pivot Pins where the Hoe swing tower connects to the Tractor. I've been holding off till I can get some good advise on how to safely remove the Backhoe from the tractor. I have had some advice and a picture sent to me, I have all the parts, but Finding the time is the issue now. The color is actually Implement Yellow from Tractor Supply with Case Red. New tires are Denman, Filters from Wix, Hydraulic Cylinders rebuild kits by BullDog, and Pins/Bushing are aftermarket. Let me know If you would like the name of my contact for reasonably priced Pins and Bushings. To further accent and make my old hoe identifiable we are thinking of painting a checkboard pattern on the boom. These days theft is getting worse everyday. Making this hoe stand out might deter theives.
33horse your hoe looks great! You did a really nice job with it! I gotta ask though, what ballpark of a price did you pay for it? How hard were alot of those pins and bushings to replace? I have to do the ones that pivot the arm from side to side. I dont know what they are called though.
PreppyPro I Paid 7000 and have invested 2500 and my time.. since I've had a few walkup offers for over 20,000. But it's not for sale. I met an old man that old me if an operator would grease the machine everyday, Bushings and Pins will last forever, especially with Moly Grease (any Brand) Regarding the pins and bushings you need to replace, go to this link and see if this is what you mean, It's not your model but it's the same name. www.equipmentpartssource.com/onlinestore/store_pin-bushings_tower_mod_kits_580b-c.php He also has diagrams there with exact names of the parts and numbers for the 580SK. I replaced most Bushings and Pins. You'll need a torch and BFH. If you have never removed pins you should be very careful to recognize the danger. All the weight must be removed from the pin before attempting to remove it. Once the Pin is removed we use a torch to wash the old bushing, basically melting a small trench into it without cutting thru. Once you have done that it takes one hit with a hammer and chisel to come out. Putting them in we freeze the new bushing (some folks use dry ice) this shrinks them for an easier install. But you have to work fast. I use a hard wood block or a brass bar so if I have to pound hard with a hammer I'm not striking the new Bushing. I'd suggest trying something easy first if you've never done this before. I've seen folks struggle with Jacks, Power Rams and lots of heat trying to remove Pins and Bushings. It can get very frustrating. But if you are slow and methodical it helps. I'm sure folks more experienced than I can give you better advise. Look for "Case 580SK Swing Tower" in Backhoe threads for a picture PHIL posted.