I am in need of suggestions to try to get my backhoe to start. At this point the engine won't turn over with the key. It does click, but more like the engine is locked up then like an electrical click. Here is the story...I was having electric issues at the same time I busted a cylinder. This left the backhoe down while I waited to get the cylinder repaired and reinstalled. Over a period of 3 RAINY WET months, and water from a mass rain storm got in the oil (I guess through the top breather and a wide open exhaust). In my defense I acquired 81% of these issues when I got the backhoe. When I found the water in the oil the backhoe had run maybe 6 hours. I changed the oil and started the hoe again. I went inside to fetch something (about 5 mins) and the hoe had died. I couldn't get it to start again. It would turn over but it was wiping out the battery, grunting to turn over, The battery cable got hot. I discovered then that the thread on the starter was stripped. Now new starter, new battery, new battery cables, changed the oil again, also the inner and outer air filter. I jumped in the cab and turned the key. It turned over fast (yay) but it wouldn't start. My wonderful brother came to help and sprayed starting fluid in the air filter. It started and ran a couple minutes then died again. I have since learned starting fluid is a huge no no! The engine would not turn over. I was told the starting fluid probably locked it up. Another friend came and used a screw driver to the starter and got the engine to turn over. It still didn't start and stopped turning over again. He left. I tried the screw driver thing (it scares the .... out of me and it can't be a good thing to do but I did get the engine to turn over and even with the key but when I ran down primed the fuel and got back in the cab...It would not turn over with the key. Long Story Sorry!! I have been waiting for warm weather to help ? Any suggestions, any at all.
It certainly sounds like the engine may be locked up, but on the other hand you may be describing a sequence of events starting with a blocked fuel filter. My advice would be to remove the engine oil filter, cut it open and inspect it for metallic particles. If you find some, you know the engine's smoked and if you find none you can then progress with trying to get it running.
Well I will check the oil filter. I will have to change it again any way. The fuel is as clean as I can get it. I siphoned the fuel tank and added 15 new gallons. The fuel filter is new and the catch bowl is clean and on screwd up tightly. It ran absolutely perfect till I was down with the cylinder, and a total hip replacement Thank you for your time. I will give it one more shot (I have said that 10+ times now) then except my power has been taken. Thanks again
This implies you changed the oil filter previously, you didn't say that. In that case can you find the old oil filter and inspect that instead.
You may need to do a compression test as you may have rust in cylinders from the water ingress possible stuck rings ,you could try bleeding the injectors by cracking them open when its cranking if you can get it to turn over. Check voltage at the starter is the same as battery and when you turn to crank position that you get good voltage on the solenoid wire the small wire on the starter should be close the voltage give or take what the battery reads but all will drop off as its cranking. Check earth wire I think back off the engine block to chassis above trans bell housing and also where the main battery cable earths to chassis for good connection. Does you machine have any sort of anti theft immobiliser fitted as this could cause problems also you will have a neutral start interlock relay and a start relay which used to corrode causing loss of voltage to starter solenoid. Had any water entered the fuel system causing the pump to fail easy way to test make sure fuel is good up to injection pump and bleed the pump then remove a injector pipe and see if any fuel comes out on cranking if not suspect pump but check that the esos valve or the fuel stop solenoid is working when you turn the ign on also make sure if your inj pump has an external arm for a stop as some early ones did its not stuck slightly a jar.
Jeff has a few good points, make sure the "fuel stop solenoid" on the injection pump has power (12 volts) with the key on. There's also a fuse for this circuit, make sure the fuse is good and clean (no corrosion) and as stated, make sure the relays are making good contacts, check the pins to make sure their clean and corrosion free. If you had it running and it stopped, you still may have an electrical problem. If the oil is clean and its getting fuel to the injectors, it should start unless running it with water in the oil created internal damage.
I will definitely take these suggestions with me when I head out to trouble shoot further. It is all a bit over whelming. Thanks everyone always for their time and help!!
Thank You
I found I have purchased a poorly built or damaged solenoid (starter with solenoid). When I was checking voltage I noticed the bottom stud on the solenoid was loose. I tried snugging up the nut and the stud pulled thru the front of the housing. I believe this why I couldn't get a faithful voltage reading. ⛓ :woohoo