I lost about 25lbs. after the stem cell transplant and it has been hard gaining it back. My joints ache in the morning and I'm low on energy but I never realized how bad my knee's are. I went out to put some air in a couple tires on my truck after they went low in a really cold spell we just had. Of course the valve stem was right at the bottom on the 1st tire. I cleared the snow away from the valve stem but had to kneel down in the snow to attach the inflator. When I went to get up I could barely move and almost had to yell for my partner to come and help me get up. I had almost no strength in my legs and my knee's just ached. It was like my knee's were locked in place and I couldn't straighten them. I have to be careful not to fall. I might not be able to get up.
I am only 52 but learned long ago, I only kneel on padded surfaces. I will throw a folded towel (or shop rag) down and kneel on that. It helps a lot. If I am doing anything that will require a lot of time kneeling, like laying flooring, I will wear knee pads. I spent the $$$ on some good ones.
I've had Lyme Disease since '97. I was in late stages before I got medicated so I will have it for the rest of my life. My knees are now always a problem and really let me know it when Lyme flares up. So it's daily doses of Glucosamine/Chondrotin and Hydralonic Acid as the best method to keeping them somewhat pain managed and lubed up. If I don't keep up with daily doses of these two items, I pay for it in pain, audible pops and crunches. Apple Cider Vinegar is also in the diet as this helps with the joints. When I have had severe foot pain, quinine has been a great help. I used to have a script for it but even plain tonic water will help. Of course the best tonic recipe is with 40-50% Seagram's lime infused gin, 1/2 lime and craisins for much faster pain relief!
Sporting goods dept at Wallymart...get 2 of the padded seat cushions, zippy tie together, best/cheapest kneeling pad out there. Also have this 1/2" pad, got it from the pipeline guys. Hard plastic on one side, soft on the other. Great to lay on. Ed
When I was at the cat dealer we all used seat backs to kneel on.
I was kneeling in the snow so wasn't bad that way. Getting up was the problem. Really hard to straighten my knee's and have enough strength to get up. I'll have to look into exercises to strengthen my knee's. They ache pretty good in the morning when I wake up.
For aching joints maybe try some collagen gelatin. I’ll post a pic. Also some good bone broth. Not the crap from the store but the real thing. I’m at Harvest Haven here in southern Alberta. We have lot’s that can help what ails you.
I keep a mud flap in the service truck or a piece of stall mat, works better on bar grate/expanded metal deck then the foam pads. Keep pretty stocked on Aleve too lol
Still kinda young though don't always feel it. Have a few good mats and cushions, never kneel on concrete, etc anymore. Like this one the best have 3 of them. Big enough folded out to crawl under something on. https://www.princessauto.com/en/47-1-4-x-17-1-4-in-mechanics-folding-work-mat/product/PA0008880015
A wise man once said, "Getting old ain't for sissies."
Put an old dog on the Glucosamine/Chondrotin at the advise of the kennel. By three weeks later it was like it took 5 years off the dog. So impressive I got human formula for myself. Sadly, not the stellar improvement seen in the dog. But after 2 months I think I have some improvement.
I found the best kneeling pad is the foam packaging for a new dpf filter for a Cat D6T. I got one years ago and still use it. It is cheap too! Just go buy a $7000 dpf filter keep the foam and throw the filter away!
Hey Dave, After a period of not being very active, one thing that will help your Knees is to streach the back if your leggs. When they are tight it constantly pulls on your knees making them extra sore and stiff. Simple streaches can make a big differance. Sit on the floor if you cant reach your foot use a towel to pull yourself towards your feet. yep it sucks, but can help. I have had my hip replaced twice and destroyed one ankle over the years. so i have spent a few days on the couch. its a struggle to get active again.
Saw something recently about walking (running?) backwards being good for the knees, but that's all I know and I'm certainly not in the medical business.
I got some great news at the Dr's. yesterday. PET scan showed the cancer was undetectable! One of the things they measure was at a level of 1334 when I was first diagnosed with multiple myeloma. It is now at 6.2. Normal persons level is around 5.6. I'm going on a new drug called Revlimid. It apparently is good for stopping or slowing Myeloma cells. I take it for 3 21day periods with a week off in between. It is a very controlled drug and only available at select pharmacies. Good thing it is covered in our healthcare because each pill is $400! I ordered a pedal exerciser to use when watching TV. I think it will help with strengthening my legs and improving my knee's and other joints. I'll be able to get my covid shot at the end of Feb. and the 2nd shot a month later. Then several month's later I have to get all the vaccines I got as a kid. Right now I'm not going anywhere except to Dr's. appts. I basically don't have an immune system so am much more suseptable to picking up anything. I'm eating better but it has been a struggle trying to put weight on. They did say it's harder to build back muscle mass. I'm working on getting better though. .
All sounding Better Dave other than the aches and weakness, keep it up you are headed for the recovery stretch!!
It is good to read that your cancer is abated, Dave ! I use an expensive grade of carpet to kneel and lay on. It is put out on curbs for the garbage man when people install new carpeting. It is usually in 4 to 6 foot wide rolls with tape around them.
I got some glucosamine and chondroitin to see if it will help with my joint pain, especially my knee's. Going up even small steps is a bit of a chore. I'm almost worried my knee's won't hold up. I'm also worried I won't be able to do a lot of the stuff I'm planning this spring and summer. They aren't kidding when they say it can take up to a year to recover from a stem cell transplant. Hopefully I can arrange for a few people to help me with running my MX and oval tracks and working on them. I'll also need some help fixing some stuff. It really sucks that I'm so weak and there's not much I can do to speed the process up. I've been using a pedal exerciser and will set up a treadmill we have to try and gain some strength. Building muscle mass takes a long time though.
Once I got off of the glucosamine for a few months, my knees really started bothering me again. I restarted supplements with 2 pills daily for at least 10 months now. Very little knee pain unless a chip moves into the wrong position. I'm also taking apple cider vinegar, Tumeric capsules and hydrolonic acid as well. I have very little knee pain compared to a year ago. The supplements cost money but they are still much cheaper and safer than surgery Stick with the supplements. They take time to ramp up the effect but they are really worth it once they kick in.