Folks,I have a yr 72-74 Allis 940 loader. I had some problem with loosing torque converter motion today and upon checking tranny oil fluid level i found the level to high and the ATF fluid was pinkish/white and i smelled antfreeze. Upon checking the coolant i found that level low and pinkish sludge in the rad as well. Obviously the tranny oil cooler that is bolted to the engine has a internal leak and is exchanging fluids.:Banghead, but that is the least of my problems. Nou my question. How and with what do i flush the tranny and TC to get all that crap outa there without having to tear the whole shebang apart?? .:beatsme. Any solid advise is really apriciated. Thanks
After replacing/repairing the cooler, I'd suggest: - 1. Flush the oil side with ATF until the oil you drain is clean. 2. Clean the cooling system with a powder or liquid detergent suitable for dishwashing machines. Cascade is one brand, don't know if you have that in Canada. The really important thing is that the detergent must be non-foaming. Not all laundry detergents will be non-foaming but anything made for dishwasher use will be. Depending how bad the contamination is you may have to flush a couple of times. Don't be stingy with the detrgent and get the cooling system really hot. Do it ASAP before the oil attacks everything in your cooling system made of rubber - hoses, rad core seals, etc, etc.
Thanks for the reply Nige. I drained the coolant, its still fairly green but there was only 1/2 left from normal,the other half must've gone in the tranny. Luckely the mill didn't overheat. The tranny fluid looks like milk when i drained that. I figured flushing a couple times with new fluid might be the only way to get the junk out,..damm stuf ain't cheap though. I wonder why the TC stalled out a couple times though?