Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My barn transformation.

jmac ยท 2007-11-01 20:58

This is a photo of when I first moved in. Here is a photo of the new front overhead door, and new roof, new driveway, new paint, and plywood on the front and parking area. Here a photo of the back with a new overhead door and side door. Here is photo of the inside after we took down the 2nd floor and insulated. I kept some of the 2nd floor about 1/3 of it in place at the back of tthe barn for a loft area.

Replies24
  1. #1jmac2007-11-01 21:14

    Here is the loft area with one of my workers jumping for joy because he just finished insulating, Here is a shot of the side with my old Mack (penalty box) Here is one from the road, Put alot of work into this, started in June, happy to be this far along!:drinkup

  2. #2CM19952007-11-01 21:24

    Looks great jmac!:drinkup Beautiful country you guys have in central NY. Hope it brings many great years of shelter.

  3. #3EZ TRBO2007-11-01 21:24

    Nice photos, job well done. A good shop can add value to a company, and helps with moral(or how ever you spell it) with your workers. I know just from installing a radiant heat furnace, replaced the forced air, made our shop much more comfotable to work in in the cold winter days. Makes it enjoyable to go to the shop. Once again, Nice job. Trbo

  4. #4Dirtman20072007-11-01 21:29

    Great Job! If it's like ours it will be full of crap in know time! looks good.

  5. #5Bob Horrell2007-11-01 21:37

    Good job. I sure could use something like that on my property. It would make equipment maintenance a lot easier, especially in the winter.

  6. #6jmac2007-11-01 21:57

    Thank you for the kind comments. CM1995, we do have alot of space in central NY. We also get alot of snow, I bet you don't have a plow sitting in your lot. Bob, Just last summer I was working out of my house with no shelter at all, so I have come along way. I like just hanging out sometimes at the barn, it is like my " man room". I do have heat, frig, radio and beer, all I need. Dirtman, trying to keep the in the toilet, but I have to do house cleaning often! EZ turbo we have wood heat but would like something like you have some day, wood is free so that's going to have to do for now.

  7. #7Construct'O2007-11-01 22:09

    Great job on the refurbished barn into shop.Always nice when a dream turns into realitiy!!!!!!!!:usa

  8. #8digger242j2007-11-01 22:18

    I'm jealous...

  9. #9Steve Frazier2007-11-01 23:03

    As am I.......very nice!!

  10. #10Lashlander2007-11-02 00:31

    Very nice!:usa You might want to check into a waste oil heater. We get oil from everyone and almost heat our shop full time on it. Once in a while we run out and I fill it with fuel but not very often. Maybe a ceiling fan too.

  11. #11CM19952007-11-02 08:43

    Yeah - the only plow I would have at my shop would be for the garden. The waste oil heater would be sharp. We generate alot of used oil that goes to a recycler. I don't have a shop right now, the 2 buildings I have are leased to other people that pay every month. We just wing it in the field but our weather is not as harsh as some places. Other than the rain, we work 12 months of the year.

  12. #127775deere2007-11-02 13:19

    Nice barn, does everything fit in it?

  13. #13jmac2007-11-02 14:06

    Everything fits in one at a time. I have about 35' depth before the loft and 22' height. The large over head is 14' x 14'. The waste was my original plan but you need about a gallon/hour so that does add up to a lot of oil, more than I produce. I found it hard to find a good supply of waste oil, most people, if they produce a lot, use it for heat and to move oil over the road in New York you would need permits, a lot of red tape etc. Still looking. I have about 5 acres of topsoil about 1' to 2' deep, I have thought about selling it off. My guess is about 3,500 yards per acre times 5 is 17,500 yards at $20 per yards would be $350,000, correct me if I am wrong please. I think the town might not like the idea. Thanks again everyone for the kind words!

  14. #14Countryboy2007-11-02 18:01

    Welcome to HEF 7775deere! :drinkup

  15. #15nedly052007-11-02 18:32

    Looks great jmac, I am jealous as hell!

  16. #16Cowboy2007-11-02 22:08

    Great progress.... We are currently remodeling our barns as well.

  17. #17Countryboy2007-11-02 22:09

    Welcome to HEF Cowboy! :drinkup

  18. #18chipsearthworks2007-11-04 23:19

    X3 I would love to have something like that, Looks like you got the height to even put one of them post lifts in it!

  19. #19jmac2007-11-12 23:14

    chipsearthworks, a friend of mine suggested just that! He thinks I could make a good auto shop out of the place. I would need a pretty good one to lift my dump truck up. I think you can buy a small one for around $3000.00 but I just don't see me getting into auto work, would be real nice to have, I think Dwan has one in his shop, he is a memeber on here.

  20. #20thejdman042007-11-14 20:37

    :notworthy :notworthy

  21. #21mikef872007-11-14 21:42

    Well if you strip a little at a time and fill in with dirt from other jobs i dont think they'd mind. In my town any cut or fill over 3' requires a permit. But thats more of a landscape job . I wish i had loam at my shop it was all ledge.

  22. #22jmac2007-11-15 12:21

    I hate to leave all that money just sitting around waiting for me to dig it up. I would need a small screen box, maybe someday at a sale I could buy one cheap. Did you ever consider that bare land could be worth more than the land in topsoil? !!

  23. #23rabbit162007-11-15 13:51

    congradulations on the barn renovation. My uncle and the rest of my family redid his barn to store his tractor in and we also use it as a hunting loge for the winter months but it gets pretty cold because we dont have insulation in it but its still a great place to hang out in.

  24. #24dumptrucker2007-11-15 19:11

    Best way to sell land is by the bucket full! Just get a couple of cows out there and tell the town that you are grading off the area for drainage for farming. They will probably leave you alone. But then again we are taling NY.