Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My boom lift fun for the day.

fastline ยท 2026-07-17 22:18

Machine was "ran great last time used". famous words right....lol Has a Ford 4cyl, dual fuel but always run LP on it. I was beating my head trying to figure out if I had an ignition or fuel issue. Trouble getting started but idled perfect. Then punch high idle and it shitz itself, stumbling for 5sec before it gets there, then sounds clean. Did the 'plug the intake' trick when accelerating and it got WAY better so on to fuel issues. Finally narrowed it down, or at least enough confidence that the regulator was at fault. Been through countless carbs, and I'm always looking for that smoking gun, but I just wasn't finding it. Then just as I was finishing up a mystery reg clean, the last part to go on is the low pressure diaphragm and plate. It was stuck to the plate, and part of the reason I didn't want to open this reg is its obsolete so I make one error and I'm buying another reg. Anyway, I decided to vet that diaphragm a little closer and as I was feeling around, I felt something between the plate and diaphragm. MFR! They have a tiny atmospheric breather hole for the back side of that diaphragm and some azzho wasp got in somehow and tried to live there. So that vent was partially plugged, end of story....lol So as the engine would pull hard to fuel, that diaphragm needs to react and quickly. It could not do that due to the plugged vent. Though I am annoyed, I realized I think this was there for a LONG time! Like it runs GOOD now. I used to think it was just an old Ford, but I sort of think the crumbs just got to a place of really fouling that hole. I should have known. Bugs LOVE LP and I don't know why! Get'n high on the supply?

Replies2
  1. #1Deere500a2026-08-01 14:10

    Ethyl mercaptan rotten egg smell add to lpg smells like dinner. Pipelines watch for buzzards small pin hole leak will get them circling

  2. #2fastline2026-08-01 14:13

    I learned something today. Thanks boss!