Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My D8K 77V

CAT D9H ยท 2009-04-04 18:49

Just wanted to try posting pics , so I thought what better pics to post then a 77V, I hope this works , first try

Replies39
  1. #1cat 3852009-04-04 18:55

    looks like she's in great shape.

  2. #2CAT D9H2009-04-04 19:25

    its in awesome shape , only problem is we had a "dozer expert" running it , he knew nothing about how to run it , needless to say the transmission is getting a little sloppy when shifting from forward to reverse I have plenty more pics of it if anyone is interested

  3. #3Gavin84w2009-04-04 19:51

    A pleasure to see one that looks like it has never had an add on put to it since delivery, very rare. Bet it runs as good as it looks. New coat of paint and a genuine decal set and it would be ready like it came from the factory. Post plenty more when you can.

  4. #4CAT D9H2009-04-04 21:07

    No problem

  5. #5CAT D9H2009-04-04 21:12

    One more , It pushes hard ,all day rips just as good , normally with one or two shanks , you can put it in a hard push and it never seems to want to stop , it will loose traction way before it looses power Man I am glad i figured out how to post pics

  6. #6dumpchuck2009-04-04 21:17

    Dang, another good lookin D8K!

  7. #7willie592009-04-04 21:19

    One of the funnest dozers I've operated was the 8K, IMHO. They have an engine sound that's like "go ahead...try and get in my way!"

  8. #8CAT D9H2009-04-04 21:21

    Thanks guys , Yeah that D342 sings a great song :usa Still have some more

  9. #9bill53622009-04-04 21:26

    Cat D9H very nice looking machine. How wide is the blade, and do you know what it weights? Keep the posts coming, how long have you had it?

  10. #10DPete2009-04-04 21:33

    Great tractors, I had 2 for a time 18843 and 17604. What are the brackets welded on the back of the ripper for? Looks like you're doing a nice job

  11. #11CAT D9H2009-04-04 21:54

    Thanks for the compliments Bill its been quite a while since we've hauled it any where,but I would guess that it weights around 84K and I think the blade is 13 feet, maybe 14 we've had it for about 10 years DPete I have no idea what those brackets are for it was like that when we got it all they are good for in my eyes are for hurting your shoulder when your greasing it we are working on 40 acres with that D8K, 963 140G and a useless 650G just cuttin roads and knockin down trees , I cant take all te credit ,these next pics is of another operator friend of mine tryin it out

  12. #12D4's D52009-04-04 23:04

    Were those pictures taken in the Ruidoso area? I used to live in Lovington, No hills at all there, just flat. Flew over to ruidoso a time or two. It is sure different here in Arkansas. Great looking Dozer, many times I've said I wanted one that size.

  13. #13CAT D9H2009-04-05 00:33

    Yep its in Ruidoso ,tons of hills and mountains here but I hope to change that :drinkup

  14. #14D4's D52009-04-05 00:51

    It looks like you are doing a great job of smoothing out the hills. Ever see and Gandy Corp. Trucks in your area?

  15. #15dumpchuck2009-04-05 01:01

    Hell yeah! :drinkup

  16. #16JTL2009-04-05 02:32

    Sweet looking old 8K. I spent a year on one identical to the one youre running a few years ago, feeding a loader at a rock pit, leveling stockpiles, stripping new pits, what ever needed done. What an awesome machne! Would run circles around the 8N we had! I put 2600 hours on that old Cat (that showed 34500 on the meter) and NEVER had a break down. My only complain was the fresh air cab come winter time!

  17. #17Dominion 4102009-04-05 11:14

    D8k That's good iron :drinkup ,back in Cat's legend forming years.

  18. #18cat 3852009-04-05 13:33

    the co.i use to work for bought a old 8k my first thoughts were oh great some ol wore out machine with a new paint job,but i was wrong, Lot's of power and smooth on the controls.

  19. #19CAT D9H2009-04-05 13:47

    Yeah I think I have seen some of their trucks from time to time Cat sure did make some good looking and performing iron back then, just rugged , tough hard working machines If it were up to me , the only Cat machines I would have would be from that era ,not that the new ones arent any good , just like the old ones better , Only problem I have had with this K is the open cab , and when we first started working it in this area , there had been a forrest fire 2 years earlier so the radiator was getting clogged up , had to pressure wash it out every morning , small price to pay

  20. #20tdozer2009-04-05 14:23

    D8K W/ripper We have 4 running 77V's and 3 boneyard machines in NJ. None have rippers though. We also have a D8R series II. When we bought the 8R it had a multi shank ripper on it. While the ripper balanced the machine amazingly, it rarely saw any use so my boss sold it. Its still a nice dozer but just having the ripper hanging off the back made it an amazing grade machine. I was wondering if the ripper balances a K like it does the R. If it does, i know where an 8MS ripper is for a K. I could probably get it very cheap and would love to install it on one of our 8K's if it does what it did for the 8R.

  21. #21CAT D9H2009-04-05 15:12

    I have never ran a 8K without a ripper , but I would imagine that it being a lo drive machine its fairly balanced as it is maybe someone else can bring a little more info on that

  22. #22RonG2009-04-05 15:33

    The K and the H are very well balanced even without a ripper.It makes quite a difference on the high track dozers however.Ron G

  23. #23tlsmith2009-04-06 12:50

    I don't know if someone can help. I am writing a business plan to reclaim some farmland. I think it wants to be ripped with something like your machine. I need to find a rough price to rent a dozer like yours, and how many acres it could cover ripping in a day? Can you estimate me just a rough price. Thanks and best regards, Thomas

  24. #24CAT D9H2009-04-06 13:23

    Well first off you have to know what kind of material you will be working with is it mainly just soil or is it rocky soil ? and is the land flat ? That dozer will cover alot of ground , I would say maybe 4 or 5 acres a day depending on material conditions

  25. #25tlsmith2009-04-06 13:31

    Well I haven't seen the specific ground yet - it is in the Middle East. I did visit the general area a few months back and it was quite sandy - not so many large rocks. The land is very flat indeed. How much would a dozer be per day in the US - I expect it will be a more in the Middle East, but atleast I will have a guide price. Thanks.

  26. #26CAT D9H2009-04-06 13:43

    Well if its sandy material , the that D8 would cover even more ground just ripping. These prices are a litte out dated , from 2007 ,but just the cost of renting a brand new D8T from Cat is $ 1,645 a day that doesnt include fuel there you are looking at burning about 100 gal. a day and grease and operator, Ihope that helps you

  27. #27tlsmith2009-04-06 13:47

    yes, thats just what I need - thanks!

  28. #28D6c10K2009-04-06 18:04

    Here's a link to the rental rate chart from my local Cat dealer... http://www.zieglercat.com/fileUpload/08 ZR rates.pdf

  29. #29Peter Kennedy2009-04-09 17:55

    A very nice looking tractor.

  30. #30micbare2009-04-09 19:29

    D8k In my opinion the D8K was one the greatest machines Caterpillar produced.:notworthy

  31. #31CAT955L2009-04-09 21:37

    NICE D8K. lOOKS LIKE A LOT OF FUN THERE. LIVING THE DREAM.

  32. #32Cat-Peter2009-04-10 10:39

    Hi CAT D9H Really nice pic's!

  33. #33CAT D9H2009-04-10 14:40

    Thanks for the compliments , its a great machine and I am happy to share some pics here

  34. #34CatSkinner77V2009-04-20 00:22

    they sing an even greater song when you take those useless muffffflers off of them, go buy yourself a brand new 90 degree D8H style exhaust elbow that comes off the turbo and stick an 8 inch straight pipe out the canopy. You have to do alittle mod work with the aspirator. I did it one of mine last fall, going to being doing it to them rest of them as they come back home for spring service. Sounds like an 8H on speed pills. Not only does it sound great when your working close to town or on a roadside, it helps keep the heat away from under the canopy, those pesky mufflers held heat and i found were hard to keep sealed and not leaking.

  35. #35Cat 2362009-04-20 01:23

    Good looking K I had a brand new one to run when I was with Wilder back in 81. We where punching the road into where the Spring Creek Prison is now near Seward Alaska. Chuck Wolf the Super called me up in early May and said it was time to get to work come on down to Seward he had a dozer for me to run. I showed up and I couldn,t believe it Brand new came down from NC in Anch. on the Train. Paint still on the tracks. We hung the Blade and away I went pushing that rock. and I want to tell you with the fan a sucking the heat and rock dust about killed me off. When we turned the fan to blowing about froze to death it seemed like. Pretty chilly around this country along the water even in the summer when your just sitting there bouncing around. I put a little over 1000 hrs on that Cat that season. The next year Phillips and Jordon had a road job mi 38 to 50 on the Seward Hwy. I dispatched out to them and would you believe another brand new 8K for me with a Slope Board so I did all of the slopes on that job on night shift Lots of daylite here in the summer then a light plant for a few hours that seems to always be a shining in you eyes. They would haul away what I mucked down during the day shift. Had a slope stake hop with me most of the time. That Board was the CATS Meow for doing slopes. Iv got a bunch of pictures and need to learn how to post them. Enough, Cat 236 Alaska

  36. #36CAT D9H2009-04-20 14:24

    Hmm, I might have to try that , I can only imagine how good that will sound , I have noticed that the muffler dose have a few small leaks , I better do it soon , within the next week I am going to be cuttin in a new road right near a golf course Cat 236 , Id like to see some of those pics its very easy to post pics I figured out

  37. #37CatSkinner77V2009-04-20 15:28

    The only time I have regreted having that machine straight piped was when I stripped and piled about 15,000 yards of topsoil at a development..... right beside a hospital.... and even then I didn't feel that bad :stirthepot i was recently on vacation in Cancun mexico, to escape the cold canadian winter for 2 weeks. riddle me this, is there something wrong with me? I rented a car one day and went for a drive and found an old D9H ripping in a limestone quarry. I sat and watched and listened to it work for a good 45 mins..... With a smile from ear to ear to say the least, hahaha, i sat back in my lounge chair later that afternoon with a cold cerveza and thought...... What was I doing!?!?! like honestly man, your on vacation, not back in the bush at home!!! I guess old habits never die no matter where you are. no music sounds better to me than a good running D342 or D353 with the muffler "missing", love them low RPM diesels.

  38. #38CatSkinner77V2009-04-20 15:30

    you and I could be friends i think. haha

  39. #39CAT D9H2009-04-20 16:23

    No absolutly nothing wrong with you , I , more often then not will search you tube to find good soundtracks of a D342 or D353:drinkup