Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My dream build service truck

RyanL ยท 2015-08-17 19:59

Well long story short ive had this truck about 6years now. Bought as cab & chassis, made a dump truck for awhile now building service truck. I bought with intentions of building service truck at some point. When things worked out. Anyway ill try get some pics up. From various points of build over that last few months, progress is kind of slow. Sorry hope i can figure out how upload pics

Replies157
  1. #1RyanL2015-08-17 20:19

    the truck after removed 10ft dump bed its a 96 l-9000 4x4

  2. #2RyanL2015-08-17 20:21

    after i stretched frame 6ft and moved axle back 4ft. I should have some pics of that process somewhere if interested in seeing

  3. #3RyanL2015-08-17 20:28

    then i sent it off to get painted inside the cab and out, frame painted, axles, etc. stainless drop visor installed and stainless grill

  4. #4Fastdirt2015-08-17 20:46

    Looks great. I like the fact that it's a 4x4. Lot of good work so far. Thanks for sharing I could read build threads all day long.

  5. #5RyanL2015-08-17 20:59

    I'll upload some more pics. Few details on truck. I bought it from a dealer out west. That bought it from orginal owners which was yosemite park i was told. Its 1996 l9000 with 87,000 miles. Had marmon herrington all wheel drive conversion. All air controls, 2-speed transfer, locking 23,000 lb rear axle 12k front but that axle is rated at 10-17k depending on the gvw tag its mounted on. Cat 3306 with jake brake, 9spd trans, A/C, heated mirrors,etc. pretty sweet truck i think but im partial.

  6. #6RyanL2015-08-17 21:22

    few pics of a truck i bought to steal bed and crane off of. The bed needed alot of TLC in my opnion to suit me. But it was in my price range and let me build what i want. I the. Took the gmc truck and shortened frame and mounted old 10ft dump bed on for farm dump truck The crane is IMT 5016 about 8,000 lbs also has older hydraulic drive air compressor and came with hydraulic hose crimper machine and bunch of hose ends

  7. #7nowing752015-08-17 21:47

    What color blue is that. Looks good

  8. #8RyanL2015-08-17 21:58

    I think its hyundia blue. Would have look to make sure it was only used one year. Its really nice metalic blue looks good in shade or sun. After i picked it out of about 100 paint sample cards. My paint guy informed me it was 500$ a gallon but he said 1 gal mixes to 2gal sprayable which be enough to do truck and bed. The crane will be white

  9. #9LT-x72015-08-18 01:58

    Sweet truck! Came from my neck of the woods.

  10. #10RyanL2015-08-18 18:44

    here couple pics of before and after moving axle and lengthing frame. I had frame rail bent out to match existing frame and butt welded. Them had peice bent out to fit inside that snug and long enough to double the 6ft i added then extended 18" up into orginal frame the drawed it all together with 3/4" bolts and added crossmembers as needed. And the. Pic of my magnetic drill its paid for itself over and over again on frame jobs

  11. #11rockytopcummins2015-08-19 10:00

    That's saying a lot cuz I know those things are nowhere NEAR cheap!!! Can't wait to see more pics of the build.

  12. #12RyanL2015-08-19 17:54

    Yes they are not cheap, lol. That model there is a Jancy 4x4. It cost around 3-4k depending where you look will run 4" cutter through 4" thick steel. Pretty much top of the line. But i got it on ebay for $1000 after jewing with the guy. It was new in case but had shipping damage on case. Dented,etc. i use it alot on fabrication and done few frames probally 300-400 holes on it so far and by far worth it to me to use slugger bits over regular twist bits.

  13. #13RyanL2015-08-19 18:51

    few pics of the carnage i did on the bed after removing it from donor truck. I bought it knowing that i would probably replace the floor and main frame of it do to rust. It also orginally had manual drop leg outriggers which i wanted to replace and the bumper was beat up and thin. I wanted to build bigger workbench bumper.

  14. #14RyanL2015-08-19 18:53

    here is the reason for the big hole in the other pics. Someone deciede to cut hole in side of bed and silcone the drawer set through it. I took it out welded hole shut. Just not my style, haha

  15. #15lantraxco2015-08-19 23:16

    Yeah, who wants to climb up there to get a wrench every time? That's what tote trays are for, LOL. I like a man that has no hesitation to tear things up and make them the way he wants them, and so far it looks like you finish what you start beautifully! :notworthy

  16. #16rockytopcummins2015-08-20 10:00

    Workbench bumpers are just about the handiest thing on a service truck next to a remote control crane!!!!! Especially with yours riding high, looks like it ought to be right at waist high.

  17. #17RyanL2015-08-20 18:54

    here are few more pics of the new main framing tubes sitting on truck, they are 6inx3inx1/4in. I then picked up the shell of the bed and sit on truck to start building new cross-members,etc I don't know if this was right way to do it but it is how I did it,lol. Some of these pics might not be in order im just posting them as I find them on computer, and or phone.

  18. #18Fastdirt2015-08-20 23:02

    Looking good! Love that truck.

  19. #19ohiofleet2015-08-21 07:52

    I have always like them fords good looking truck

  20. #20RyanL2015-08-21 08:18

    . Thanks guys for nice comments sorry for my grammar, typing aint my thing. Ill try to just let the pics do the talking. Here is couple pics of the unit that will be handling the welding/air arcing, and generatoring duties. 2001 Sae 400 68hp perkins diesel showing 911hrs. Orginally left that open behind cab to mount it, but thinking im goin do little more of a custom mount intergrated into the bed. The add more boxes in that space never enough boxes.

  21. #21nowing752015-08-22 21:42

    I agree never enough boxes. I make more and fill them us as quickly.

  22. #22RyanL2015-08-23 17:29

    Some more pics of cutting old junk out. The boxes above tires were rotted out, so built new and went ahead and remade fender wells. I don't think they turned out to bad?? I also replaced one side of crane box with 1/2" plate.

  23. #23RyanL2015-08-23 17:39

    the fender flare isn't finished in the pics

  24. #24RyanL2015-08-23 17:49

    View attachment 139482 View attachment 139483 cut off and replaced that 2inx4in tube across the back View attachment 139484 View attachment 139485 the trucks dirty from sitting in pole barn but here pic of the new LED turn signals with little visor's

  25. #25theironoracle2015-08-23 20:58

    You are very patient and your work is grade A. I assume you will disassemble the crane to clean and inspect it from the inside out? I would live to see pics of this. Whatever you do I will be watching....TIO

  26. #26norite2015-08-23 22:00

    Nice work, its going to be a keeper for sure.

  27. #27Dualie2015-08-24 03:01

    Thats a TON of tire clearance, i think you could have lowered that fender and gained some more storage.

  28. #28CM19952015-08-24 06:48

    Very nice, keep up the good work! Can't wait to see the finished product.

  29. #29RyanL2015-08-24 07:30

    Yeah, lot of clearance but i wanted it to look poportioned to the front. This truck will also be spending most of its life in coal mines and or stone quarries. So i like the extra room to get in there to keep it washed out. Also i plan on running my hydraulic lines along the bed frame there. So i was thinking extra room be nice to change a hose when it blows on a rainy day with mud a** hole deep to a tall indian. Lol seems like things never break on dry ground in good conditions. All this just my opinion from experience working in open pit coal last 9 yrs.

  30. #30RyanL2015-08-24 07:38

    As for patient?, maybe i am little more now than i was when i was younger, not that i am even that old. But i just wanted to try to do it once and do it right. I dont know if it will tear crane down or not. I took it off to be able to pick the bed up and move it when i was switching trucks. I plan on rebuild the valve on the crane and rewireing it for a aftermarket wireless remote with start/stop, idle control, and air compressor on/off. The crane is actually smaller than i would like to have i wanted 14,000lb. But the money for one is outa my budget and hard to find used.

  31. #31lantraxco2015-08-24 13:07

    It is after all an all wheel drive vehicle, and if you ever have the need of snow chains... (Hey, climate change you know!)

  32. #32RyanL2015-08-26 18:32

    here is a IMT 8025 knuckleboom I bought cheap, just so I could cut outriggers off and use them. I am crazy I know but I think I prefer a straight boom crane over knuckle? either way it was cheaper to buy it and salvage outriggers rather than buy new cylinders with safety valve built in, then buy steel to build outriggers.

  33. #33RyanL2015-08-26 18:40

    here they are mounted. 16" from ground to bottom of pad. which is same as from ground to bottom of rear axle. it was kind of a happy medium of up high enough for clearance on rough ground verse enough stroke to level truck

  34. #34lantraxco2015-08-26 19:12

    I would have mounted the knuckle boom behind the cab, and the straight boom on the rear corner, but I'm funny that way!

  35. #35RyanL2015-08-26 19:19

    that crossedmy mind alot but the knuckleboom needed steel lines that are welded to cylinders alot of them was mashed. Then i dont like that manual controls for it i would have wanted wireless which would be more money to switch valveing. Then i got to thinking bout the extra close to 4000lbs of weight the knuckleboom would add. Then i got to thinking bout not having room for that big welder without killing bed space to haul d9l finals/steering clutches or transmissions. Ugh choices trust me it made me do alot if thinking. Lol

  36. #36FSERVICE2015-08-30 23:21

    don't stop the pictures now!!!

  37. #37RyanL2015-09-03 18:06
  38. #38RyanL2015-09-03 18:13

    Here couple pics of the hitch bumper. There million ways a guy could build this. Here is the way i choose whether its right or wrong? To weak to strong? Lol i guess we will find out. Its long ways from finished but you can see where its going. It will have doors on side to allow long bar storage, log chains,other junk. I will add more support to the top before i skin it with 3/16 deck plate. The light arrangment aint final, just ideas. The receiver tubes are for a vise. I will have tube on other side to allow side switching or removal for working with sheets of steel for fabrication jobs.

  39. #39lantraxco2015-09-03 18:45

    Looks good to me!

  40. #40RyanL2015-09-03 19:02
  41. #41RyanL2015-09-03 19:05

    I tryed to keep the lights sonthe will be recessed back under a little. The last company service truck i had was always melting lights with hot slag from torch cause the just stuck out of bumper

  42. #42DB22015-09-03 21:22

    Great looking work. Can't wait to see the finished product.

  43. #43RyanL2015-09-05 21:02

    pic showing height of 34" the depth is 32".

  44. #44RyanL2015-09-05 21:07

    pic of some of the body mounts 3/4" dia threaded rod. ( u-bolts that aint bent is what they are). Then 3"wide x1/2" thick plates drilled with magnetic drill.

  45. #45gtermini2015-09-06 13:33

    Are you going to put any kind of storage under the main bed floor between the frame? Greyson

  46. #46Slammed3792015-09-06 13:44

    Nice Work!! :thumbsup

  47. #47RyanL2015-09-06 18:23

    yep i was planning on having a door on the back above outrigger tube inbetween the bed frame rails. I was goin use 6" schedule 40 pipe with caps. One or 2 will run the full length of bed roughly 14ft. Then maybe one or 2 shorter ones 4ft or 6ft in between. I was goin use that to store sticks of small rod,angle, etc for fabrication or repairs onsite. And one of the long ones to store lengths of hydraulic hose. I plan on carrying a parker karrycrimp hose machine on the truck with a selection of fittings to try cover the major of things i will encounter. I have a hydro supply store 20min from my home area to cover the other stuff. The reason for pvc is rust free, clean storage, easy to clean park truck uphill hose out. Maybe it will work like in my head lol

  48. #48RyanL2015-09-06 18:25

    thanks. Nothing is perfect but i try to do a decent job. It is after all still a older used bed i keep telling myself lol

  49. #49RyanL2015-09-06 20:29

    not much big changes today just a day of welding. Made 1/2" thick plates to weld to maind bed frame, overlap truck frame, weld to hitch frame, this also tied the outriggers into it all a little more. Then i shoved magnetic drill in there and drilled 3/4" holes through frame amd plate to bolt it together.

  50. #50RyanL2015-09-06 20:37

    1/2" was overkill i know lol im bad about overkilling things

  51. #51lantraxco2015-09-07 00:04

    Beats having it fold up when you really need it. I'm with you, an extra pound here or there lets you sleep better at night.

  52. #52RyanL2015-09-08 18:43

    not done but couple more pics

  53. #53Steve Frazier2015-09-09 01:15

    What a magnificent build! I love the Ford L Series truck, it's been my favorite truck to drive and I can't say how many hours I have in them. Everything I see is heavy duty, just the way I like it! I have one concern though, what is the GVWR of the truck and are you monitoring where you are in regards to that? At this point I'm wondering what you'll have left for tool and fluid storage as far as weight is concerned.

  54. #54RyanL2015-09-09 06:37

    gvwr is 35,000lb. As far as keeping track as i build, no not really. I mean i am thinking about it in my head but havnt weighed anything. The chassis is 14,000lb by itself. The crane is around 1800lb, the big lincoln welder around 1200lb i would say. I would have to add up all the steel ive added to it. The outriggers i added i would guess around 800lb

  55. #55Steve Frazier2015-09-09 20:31

    I haven't seen the drivetrain mentioned, what engine/tranny combo is in it?

  56. #56RyanL2015-09-09 20:59

    it was mentioned earlier but here is again. Few details on truck. I bought it from a dealer out west. That bought it from orginal owners which was yosemite park i was told. Its 1996 l9000 with 87,000 miles. Had marmon herrington all wheel drive conversion. All air controls, 2-speed transfer, locking 23,000 lb rear axle 12k front but that axle is rated at 10-17k depending on the gvw tag its mounted on. Cat 3306 with jake brake, 9spd trans, A/C, heated mirrors,etc. pretty sweet truck i think but im partial.

  57. #57RyanL2015-09-12 19:15

    door for the bumper it will have seals like other doors. Then couple air tanks mounted for volume for the air compressor. They about 10-12gal each. Then i have 3 more around 8gallon to mount somewhere.

  58. #58RyanL2015-09-12 19:20

    As far a drivetrain i would love to upgrade engine to a 3406 just for fun more than need. But ill probably just change over to a 13spd or 18spd later and turn the 3306 up a little. But again just for preference. It does fine way its setup now or always did anyway as dump truck.

  59. #59lantraxco2015-09-12 19:54

    With the 3306 and 9 speed, plus the two speed transfer, unless you're planning on towing large loads you would never need anything different. Just make sure you bill your travel time! LOL.

  60. #60RyanL2015-09-12 20:01

    very true. It has plenty of power. it isnt as slow as what most all wheel drives are it will run 70mph but likes 60-65mph better. I would just want different trans just to close the shift gaps a little for the hilly roads i travel.

  61. #61RyanL2015-09-13 18:38

    added 2 more boxes to driver side. I took a crossover box and cut the center out of it then but the boxes side by side and welded together put a back on it then welded to the front of bed. The drip rails dont match but it not to bad. 6" miter cut stacks will fill the rest of the gap between cab and bed

  62. #62mikebramel2015-09-13 23:41

    Looking great already. You have some good skills.

  63. #63RyanL2015-09-20 20:32

    stacks just hanging there i made a little headache thing kind of to keep the stacks from being mounted to the cab or bed. Used peterbilt style isolator mounts ill get pics of it later. Got to get hydraulic valve mounted on the back in the little hole on right of middle door for outrigger controls

  64. #64randy792015-09-20 21:09

    Looks really good, I check in to the progress every day

  65. #65Fastdirt2015-09-20 21:21

    Looks good and very familiar. Nice work.

  66. #66RyanL2015-09-20 21:36

    thanks. I try to do something to it everyday. Even though it dont seem like i get much done. I need get it done because neither it or me is making any money sitting around lol

  67. #67RyanL2015-09-20 21:42

    i think your truck is the one that inspired me, to go with the drop visor and stuff. Other wise i was going to go with the classic lund visor and factory grill. But i think this gives it a little more attitude maybe? I think is the word i want to use. But sometimes i feel the visor is to much drop? Especially when sitting in the standard seat, maybe a low-pro seat would help?

  68. #68FSERVICE2015-09-20 21:52

    its hard to justify working on it.. but its worth it in the end to have what you want!! I saw a sticker on a service truck years ago that read"its not what you buy its what you build" lotsa truth to that. I am always making notes of things I want on my next truck in a binder. you are doing a great job on your build. keep up the good work

  69. #69RyanL2015-09-20 22:01

    thanks, thats what i keep telling myself it will be worth it. I quit my fulltime job of 9yrs to pursue this truck and working for myself. I been using my skidsteer to do dirt work and stuff to help pay bills along with what repairs i can bring to the shop. I just consider myself lucky to have a wife that has good job to help tske care of the health insur. For the kids and stuff. Im still young (only 28). So im no expert on anything, but this is just my idea of a good truck.

  70. #70RyanL2015-09-20 22:06

    here you can see on the left a spot for a coil kind of air hose to plug in for use on bumper, also a electric box. I plan on having this tied into the welder to save from dragging a cord out to grind somthing on the bumper. Like i said before good idea? Bad idea? I dont know but i thought about having one many times before while working out of a truck.

  71. #71DARO2015-09-23 09:11

    Looks really good. Building a truck is on my someday list.

  72. #72RyanL2015-09-23 18:09

    not much exciting. I built a box to mount on pas. Side. It will be my tank storage, still needs vents and door,etc. i plan on carrying extra oxygen, acetylene. I think i can legally, lol

  73. #73RyanL2015-09-23 18:14

    The other pic is the air compressor that was on the bed. Im goin try to use it, i hope it keep up with what i want to do. Anyone have any experience with these?

  74. #74RyanL2015-09-23 18:19

    here is pic of a tank winch maintainer has, i think im goin come up with somthing kind of like this. My think is i dont get any younger with time and the truck is higher off ground lol. The other pic is a metal cutting saw. The best $280 ever spent. I use this thing to cut almost everything from sheet steel, even cut the 1" thick hitch plate with it. Clean smooth edge and fast and easy. Just keep good blades on and dont crowd it let it cut.

  75. #75simonsrplant2015-09-24 00:15

    Real nice work... I'll keep my eyes on here...

  76. #76caterpillarmech2015-09-24 05:02

    Ok, that bottle winch is the cats a**! Keep up the good work.

  77. #77RyanL2015-09-24 07:48

    I drove by my old employers main shop today and seen they bought 3 new used service trucks for some of the guys. They was talking about it when i turned my 2 week notice in few months ago. Im slighlty jealous of the 12k boom on the one my buddy is getting if he gets his cdl. Here a pic of it im pretty sure its it came feom ritchie brothers auction. He bought it and 2 others and 992g loader and few other things beats heck out of the old GMC 6500 we was running. But new trucks dont fix the 6-7 days a weeks and low pay and stupid stuff we had put up with , lol i left on good terms so i could always go back if i feel the urge, haha

  78. #78RyanL2015-09-24 15:53

    torch box welded to the bed

  79. #79rockytopcummins2015-09-24 17:10

    What are you considering "low pay"?

  80. #80RyanL2015-09-24 18:17

    Low pay was $17.40hr time half over 40hrs. I mean it wasnt bad but the idiots that could barley drive end dumps made same pay as good operator, or mechanic/welder. I was operator for 8yrs, everything from 992 to d-11 to cat 5110b hitachi 1200 hoes. I was the guy that done what needed done, build ponds, reclaim, bench, fill in for absent people, etc. i also drove 50ton lowboy when needed moving equipment, or ran the National Crane truck when needed. I also mechaniced welded on and off through that time and full time mechanic the last year or so. Which included rebuilding d-9 trans, finals, welding shanks on ,etc. i aint trying to toot my own horn. I just let my work speak for itself but i felt like guys that are capable and stuff should be shown they are appreciated? Maybe im thinking wrong. Sorry for rant

  81. #81lantraxco2015-09-24 19:06

    No, you're thinking you're worth about ten dollars more an hour, or at least that's what I think.

  82. #82RyanL2015-09-25 17:17

    well gained another 2000lb its just now starting to touch overloads

  83. #83JGibson2015-09-25 19:19

    Looks awesome!

  84. #84Sterff2015-09-25 20:08

    Nice! Id put some E-track along the inside of the boxes.

  85. #85RyanL2015-09-25 20:27

    For the heck of it i requested a quote on a new IMT 14,000lb crane. Just bare crane is $32,000. Now i remember why i didnt order a new maintainer body a coulle years ago when i priced one for $120k bed and crane,etc no truck. Which explains why i am where i am today refurbing old junk, but hey its all paid for a end of the day.

  86. #86CM19952015-09-25 20:32

    You will make money, the ones with the new service truck will make payments.:cool2

  87. #87rockytopcummins2015-09-26 06:41

    I'll reply to this and then leave it alone, don't want to derail the thread too awful bad. That's better than what I was doing when I left my last job and went to work for CSX. Minus the operator part of it. I did pretty good with most equip but couldn't put anything on grade with a dozer, just never had enough seat time or anybody to teach me. Everything else you listed though, I did for this company for $13/hr. I originally took the job to get me by between getting out of the military and while I was trying to get hired with the railroad. Then I ended up in a spot where I absolutely LOVED what I did and was excited to go to work every day and they were the best people I'd ever worked for, they just didn't pay squat!!! I was killing myself on overtime every week just to make ends meet. I liked doing something different every day. I could be fabricating, turnin wrenches, loading trucks, hauling equip, never knew when I came in. Being the cost of living down here is lower, if they'd come up just a little over what you were getting paid I'd honestly seriously consider leaving the railroad and going back.

  88. #88clintm2015-09-26 10:37

    any body can go buy something someone else built but only a few can build it their self be proud of it:thumbsup

  89. #89clintm2015-09-26 10:43

    most of the fancy store bought service trucks that I have seen don't have enough tools in them to put a chain on a bicycle. but they look good the best real mechanics that I have seen are driving some thing thats a combination of a couple of trucks mated together some of them have not been painted yet because they are a master piece in progress might have to change something or add still in design stage

  90. #90norite2015-09-26 10:47

    Wow that truck is going to be sharp when you are done, and with 4x4 it's over the top.

  91. #91norite2015-09-26 10:49

    Words of wisdom for sure.

  92. #92RyanL2015-09-28 20:18

    the front boxes are deeper than the others. The truck batteries will be relocated. Im planning on mounting the welder in front of the bed with a little custom twist on it

  93. #93RyanL2015-09-28 20:29

    im sure there some guys out there that want kill me for doing this to lincoln SAE-400 welder but i have a vision, lol. Goin mount the engine/welder with radiator facing the cab. The welder will leach fuel off of the truck tanks. To keep it simple to fuel the 2 tanks on the truck before i leave my shop. I plan on just having fuel storage tank at shop. Sinse im 15miles any direction to a bigger town with fuel. The welder will use the truck batteries to start. Then i plan on mounting a 24volt alternator on the welder to keep two 8d batteries charged up for 24volt jump starting in the winter. I think it will work? The welder face is bring mounted in a box on the right side for ground reach and will have leads wrapped up in box to keep secure.

  94. #94DARO2015-09-28 22:48

    It will work. Someone else has that 24 volt alt thing going. I forget who. If you could spin a hyd pump off the welder for the crane.......

  95. #95simonsrplant2015-09-29 00:07

    If I were to be building my truck I'd have a donkey engine powering a thru motor PTO into the welder generator. Particulars would run fuel from the trucks tanks and 12v, also, pipe into the trucks coolant system. My reasoning: Crane or compressor operation indoors with minimal emissions. Less hours on the important motor, less idle time, less wear, less fuel. If you go far enough north you could run the donkey all night at high idle and still start the truck warm. Again, no idle time, less wear, less fuel. There are loads of reasons... A guy had a similar set up on his rig and with tweaking it was awesome.

  96. #96RyanL2015-10-01 20:25

    not much progress just little things finished other fender flare thing. I got take break work on some other projects to make little money. I thought about the welder hydraulic pump awhile back but kind of forgot about it. But im thinking im going to try it the more i think about it. It would run cheaper probably and would be pretty slick to have a wireless remote for crane that has engine start/stop, idle, and air compressor on/off. That would start/stop welder. sinse on most of the bigger welding jobs ive did i usually run the air anyway for needle scaler, or have crane out. So why run two engines

  97. #97simonsrplant2015-10-02 00:24

    My thoughts is only one would be running, the small donkey motor powers a PTO for crane and compressor and also drives the welder. The main truck motor is kept solely for driving. If you catch what I'm saying.

  98. #98RyanL2015-10-02 07:40

    Yep im with you. Why run two engines when the 68hp perkins can handle all of it. And keep hours low on my truck engine

  99. #99RyanL2015-10-02 07:42

    My only question is now that im thinking about it. Will this affect the welder? By robbing power away trying to turn the hyd pump. Sometimes i have helpers and they use air or crane while im welding.

  100. #100simonsrplant2015-10-02 09:50

    I suppose if you took the max draw of both PTO under full load and welder, then used a small motor which can deliver sufficient or close to sufficient you should be ok. I would assume that you may notice a slight dip if welding and another function was made, but only momenterally as the engine me welder would compensate almost immediately. Can't be that much different to the Lincoln air vantage welder/compressors

  101. #101lantraxco2015-10-02 11:32

    With an existing engine like that, probably the easiest solution is to add a pulley and use a belt drive hyd pump with an electric clutch.

  102. #102simonsrplant2015-10-02 11:43

    Lantraxco, would that not over complicate things? I can't think why that would be necessary or beneficial?

  103. #103RyanL2015-10-02 12:37

    Im thinking if i do it i will just drive the hyd pump directly off of the front crank on the perkins engine that the welder is hooked too. I meen ill have make sure rotations and rpm are right. The welder dont run real high rpm and i would think the 68hp would be plenty of power. I mean when air arc this thing will make the leads jump up off the ground when you strike arc and the engine dont even change tone

  104. #104DARO2015-10-02 13:19

    No belts would be my vote.

  105. #105simonsrplant2015-10-02 13:19

    Should work pretty good... Old JCB 3C (not that they exist this side of the pond) would work a treat, be the right rotation direction too... If you could find a drive shaft it would probably bolt directly on to a Perkins

  106. #106lantraxco2015-10-02 14:21

    As compared to what sir?

  107. #107simonsrplant2015-10-04 13:15

    A clutch or direct drive?

  108. #108lantraxco2015-10-04 15:15

    To each his own.

  109. #109roddyo2015-10-04 16:45

    I wouldn't let perfect get in the way of good. Carry on.

  110. #110RyanL2015-10-08 15:55

    Well guys been doing couple other projects. Messed with truck little bit here and there. I wound up takeing the 8-spool valve off the knuckleboom crane. And making it a 3-spool for the truck, and the others for another project. I will use it raise right/left outrigger. Then i have this crazy idea of having hyd. Remotes on rear. There has been times i wish i had remotes on the farm for picking up a trailed implement when tractor is elsewhere. Or just use them for... Well whatever i want lol. Maybe i need rigit onto a cylinder to pick somthing up, or dump a bed on a dead machine. My business is after all Leasure's AG Repair, llc. So will probably run across a use on the farm repair side of things.

  111. #111RyanL2015-10-08 16:16

    As for the welder driving hydraulic pump, i have been thinking alot about this. It is a good idea but im afraid of it pulling power away from the welder. Yes can have a clutch or something to disconnect. But i already got the pto on the truck and the hyd pump is already mounted, so im goin go with that for now. The crane will wireless control with start/stop so i can shut truck off when not needed. That will mean alot. I just really need get this truck done, i got a company wanting me pretty bad, but no money slows things up on the build lol

  112. #112RyanL2015-10-23 17:34

    Well guys no progress in last week or two. I worked out deal with local company. Im contractor, but he loaning me his truck till i get mine done then ill trade out and get paid extra for my truck. So thats the latest.

  113. #113mikebramel2015-10-23 22:17

    You were making real good progress. Of course, getting paid to work on others things isn't bad either LOL

  114. #114RyanL2015-10-29 19:33

    my temporary ride

  115. #115JPV2015-10-30 01:07

    Wow, that sounds like a sweet deal, shouldn't be suffering in that truck. That is pretty much the same service body mine has, I love it. Can't wait to see how your build turns out, it looks great so far. That would be a fun project if you weren't under the gun to make your living with it!

  116. #116RyanL2015-12-06 18:47

    had a free minute to sit welder engine up in truck. It jus sitting there got to make rear mounts and mount radiator. Then wire the control panel in which is mounted in a side box

  117. #117ohiofleet2016-01-20 21:45

    hows the truck coming

  118. #118Joeyz2016-02-07 18:40

    Great build liven the picks

  119. #119Agtech2016-02-10 16:36

    Nice build.. I'm interested to see the finished product.

  120. #120Mink2016-02-25 03:19

    Nice project Thanks for pics

  121. #121RyanL2016-02-25 20:38

    Sorry guys havent been on here in awhile. The truck hasnt made much progress. I just been working out of the loaner truck. Been staying pretty busy. Im hoping to get back on my truck when weather breaks.

  122. #122driveshed2016-02-26 08:21

    Hi Ryan I been reading this post you got and man I have to say you do nice work , Its nice to see guy's take pride in their business and work. I am looking at doing a new service truck build this yr. I have to do it on the cheap because I just put up the new 48'x40' shop this fall. Not done yet but working on it when there is no equipment in . DaveH

  123. #123RyanL2016-02-26 09:10

    Thanks for compliments guys. I try to have sinse of pride in everything i do. Thats kind of a rare thing nowadays ive noticed by looking around at other guys or younger people (not that i am very old). But they all kind just do bare minium half a** thing and wonder why they don't get paid very much or cant better them selves. As for my truck its far from perfect the bed was a very used very rough and some of this shows inside the boxes. The sides are warped or lil things here and there but i feel like it will be fine at the end of the day its paid for and thats what matters. I also believe first impressions matter you roll into a job with a janky as* truck or peice equipment people are already judging you. They think man if he dont care anymore about his stuff than this, whats he think about mine. Or whatever lol. Anyways im also side tracked with the planning of a new shop 50x80x26 with a used bridge crane. Ive always wanted one and i want to expand my business and be able do component rebuilds, farm tractors, frame stretching or whatever. its a big money gamble but the old saying goes " got spend money to make money" or " spend money on things that make you money & you will always have money". Sorry bout long post

  124. #124simonsrplant2016-02-27 19:31

    Wise and very true words Sir.

  125. #125RyanL2016-04-01 18:35

    Got new wireless remote system for crane and throttle solnoid for high idle

  126. #126RyanL2016-04-01 18:43

    Pic

  127. #127RyanL2016-04-01 20:24

    Pic

  128. #128RyanL2016-07-07 20:39

    put new bigger LED cab lights on

  129. #129RyanL2016-07-07 20:45

    started wiring the welder face into a compartment

  130. #130RyanL2016-07-07 20:52

    started roughing in torch box doors. Need drill for hinges and make latches and put vents in box. Then roughed in another box under crane with opening facing the inside. I plan on building more boxes on driver side. Then making a topper so to speak to cover the welder and be tall enough to walk in and have dry storage. With walk-in doors in the bed to access this area. You may notice the crane snatch block is inside the torch box, well im going to make a little box for it drop in with a drain pipe to ground for water to run out. I kind of hate hooking and unhooking the snatch block to the boom. I seen similar setup on a buddy of mines truck. But it was just little box bolted to top of bed.

  131. #1312stackmack2016-11-17 08:14

    Mack Not sure if the picture will show up but it's my service truck 1977 mack r600 was reading the post and I love the color was wondering if you have finished yet?

  132. #132RyanL2016-11-17 08:35

    Glad you like the truck, its not finished yet. Seems like paying jobs always come first. but the paint guy actually just looked at it again last night and its on his schedule for first of the year to finish. I like the mack i seen that truck online for sale i think.

  133. #1332stackmack2016-11-17 23:36

    Mack Yes it was bought it quite a few months ago I had a 2012 f350 6.7 service truck over weight not enuff room at all but it got me by was looking into building one but was on a time crunch and found this gem while sitting on the hopper and it wasn't too far from me so I took a peak and fell in love! I wanted something pre emissions and pre ecm, pcm, tcu, ........ pretty bad I trust the older trucks more than I did my ford lol I had f450s and ram 5500s working for other companies but I wanted to be able to pull a 20ton trailer and they just won't do it now I'm just in need of a crane! Can't wait to see your finished product

  134. #134RyanL2017-01-19 17:30

    trucks still not done but major milestone i got crane to work. I've never seen this crane work, and the fact that i had the whole frame and crane supports cut out and replaced them, and put outriggers on off a 8000lb knuckle boom. it makes me happy to see it holding 3600lb compactor 18ft out to side. over look the cable being twisted its junk needs replaced.

  135. #135hvy 1ton2017-01-21 01:25

    That's gonna be a slick truck when it's done.

  136. #136FSERVICE2017-01-21 21:57

    glad to see that you are still working on it!!! its shapeing up really nice. it will be last you for many many years when its finished.

  137. #137RyanL2017-01-22 07:11

    yep still working on it little at a time, never dreamed it take this long. It gets moved in and out of the shop alot, paying jobs got to come first.

  138. #138RyanL2017-03-30 20:59
  139. #139RyanL2017-03-30 21:14

    few more pics of process

  140. #140RyanL2017-03-30 21:21

    its not perfect and not completly finished but what truck is, its got a stone quarry calling everyday for it time for it pay me back.

  141. #14192U 34062017-03-30 21:28

    Nice! That is the exact colour I'm painting my KW.

  142. #142DARO2017-03-30 21:33

    That looks very nice.

  143. #143RyanL2017-03-30 22:05

    hyundai blue?

  144. #144ohiofleet2017-04-02 12:55

    nice truck make sure to put some working pics up

  145. #145DB22017-04-02 16:28

    Nice to see it painted. Love the work area at the back end.

  146. #146hvy 1ton2017-04-02 19:01

    It's coming out real nice RyanL.

  147. #14792U 34062017-04-02 20:36

    One day I'm gonna get my own truck. I've only got 8 years in the trade at this point so I feel another couple years experience would go a long way in ensuring I'll be successful.

  148. #148RyanL2017-04-03 17:12
  149. #149RyanL2017-04-03 17:13
  150. #150RyanL2017-04-03 17:15
  151. #151FSERVICE2017-04-20 22:59

    the truck turned out very good!! looks like its even going to pay its way also, keep up the good work

  152. #152f311fr12017-04-29 23:02

    looks great.

  153. #153farmerlund2017-04-30 22:07

    Nice rig. If that's your first service call with it, you picked a pretty good one.

  154. #154RyanL2017-05-06 08:24

    yep that was first job it was on, and it has been in the quarry 3-4 days week ever since. then i do my shop work other days.

  155. #155Steve Frazier2017-05-07 21:59

    Looks like that all wheel drive has come in handy already!

  156. #156Birken Vogt2017-05-07 22:49

    Did the rocks in the pile scratch up the aluminum wheels?

  157. #157RyanL2017-05-08 18:37

    i don't think... there wasnt any big rocks in there just slop that had been piled up and dry crust on top. if they did get scratched it wont be first or last probably, lol i tryed get them to scrape stuff out of way but i got tired of waiting on them.