Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My experience importing used Japanese excavators from China

kboxx · 2024-05-31 20:54

I wanted to share an experience I recently had purchasing used excavators from China in the hope that it might help others through the process. 20 years ago I purchased a Hitachi EX60-G from Canada that was a gray market machine from Japan. It has served us very well and I wanted to upgrade to something more modern. I couldn't justify spending 60k on a machine though, so I started looking at the machines in China. If you've ever spent any time on Alibaba, you see cheap machines that look nice for very little money with low hours. I decided to go ahead and buy a Hitachi ZX70 and a Komatsu PC-70-8. I chose this size because it's the biggest machine that will fit in a shipping container. After talking with several dealers in China I settled on Hefei Kunhuan Construction Machinery Co. They answered all of my questions and were very attentive. I made it clear to them that I wanted a quality machine and they responded with a price of $17,000 and $17,500. I did not try to negotiate on the price as it seemed more than fair for machines with 950 +/- hours on them. Supposedly model year 2021. I had them confirm that the machines had EPA labels. ** Fun Fact - I would set myself on fire in a phone booth before I purchased additional machines from the company above. Avoid them on Alibaba... ** If you purchase machines from China, I HIGHLY suggest that you have the seller send you pictures of the EPA labels. Then check this EPA website spreadsheet to ensure the EPA sticker that is on the machine is accurate. Specifically, you need to ensure the engine "Family" that is on the sticker is also in the spreadsheet. https://www.epa.gov/system/files/documents/2024-02/nonroad-compression-ignition-2011-present.xlsx Shipping the 40 ft container from Shanghai to Seattle was $3,500. I also hired a customs broker to handle the paperwork for an additional $1,200. Trucking from Seattle to my location (100 miles) was an additional $1,400. There is no import duty on excavators which is a bonus. It took about a month due to delays on each end to receive the machines. The machines arrived looking nice! They had to remove the bottom track rollers on the Komatsu to fit it inside the container due to height. In the process they sheared off 5 grade 8 track bolts. They did not try to take them out. They were very difficult to get out... The Hitachi had the following issues: No primary air filter. Alternator charge light on. Left pilot control oil leak. Temp gauge or sender has a short. Track chain worn. Track master pins missing retaining clips. Air conditioning wires cut. Bare wires stuck out of the back of the alternator. Bare wires wrapped about temp buzzer sender. Brittle engine wiring harness. Damaged radiator fan. Wore out fan belts. Dome light not connected. Antenna wire and power plug for radio cut / missing. Big oil leak on back of engine. As mentioned above this was advertised as a 950 hour machine. I will say that the boom is tight and all functions seem to now work but it's much more likely to be a 4-9000 hour machine based on the brittle and hard electrical wire sheathing on the motor. The Komatsu had its own share of problems: This has a common rail motor where the Hitachi has the older style isuzu engine with mechanical injection. Black Smoke - not enough to show on video but I can see it in all RPM ranges. Replaced the turbo and now will send out injectors to be checked. Left pilot control configured so that forward and backwards would swing the machine...I switched the lines under the pilot valve and the functions are in the right spot however there is a shudder when swinging left or right. Heater hoses cut and plugs in engine where they go. Error code when AC is activated. Wiper non-functional. Cracked and broken plastic that holds down pilot control boots. Error code dating back to 2019 but it's a 2021?!? Interesting sidebar... I've not found a pilot pattern switch valve on either machine. If you're wanting to switch between CAT and DEERE controls you might be disappointed. The first thing I did upon receiving the machines was to change all fluids and filters. The fuel filter sediment bowls in particular were gross. Neither machine was in shape to be used at all with loose fasteners everywhere. If I were to do this again, I would absolutely use some type of escrow service as you have zero leverage to get any type of refund or adjustment if things are not as advertised. Much of this stuff cannot be seen in a video but that doesn't mean there are not issues. I would also try to locate an independent 3rd party inspection service to give you a report on the machine you want to buy. Create a checklist of all the items you expect to be working upon arrival and have them agree to it. Find out if the seller is just a dealer or the actual refurbisher. I would very much try to buy from a refurbisher. Ask flat out if the hours are accurate and if the hour meter has been altered. If they lie to you ONCE, move on. Be VERY skeptical of hour meters under 1000. If there are any attachments you want (thumb, coupler, etc), arrange to have that installed over there. It will save you a ton of money. Want extra buckets, rakes, etc? Buy them with the machine and stick them in the container. Free shipping. Lastly, if you are not mechanical and don't like a challenge, do not do this. The only benefit (?) for you will be a greatly expanded use of profanity.

Replies12
  1. #1Lagwagon2024-05-31 21:25

    Thanks for sharing your story but I think you’re going to struggle to find someone on this forum as gullible as yourself. I don’t mean to be rude, but you seem to know a bit about machines yet you thought you could get a 2021 Komatsu with 1,000hrs for $17k, one can only shake their head sorry. I hope they serve you decently all the same Once you sort the issues.

  2. #2skyking12024-06-01 00:35

    I disagree. I see new posters who can lower the bar in remarkable and unheard of ways. It is a good story to have here. If you can't inspect it yourself or get a trusted pre-purchase inspection by a 3rd party, just walk on by.

  3. #3nicky 68a2024-06-01 02:12

    You paid your money and took your chance. I wouldn’t even bet on them being Komatsu or Hitachi machines. It’s one thing buying new from a manufacturer directly,and an entirely different level of expectation as to buying from some Chinese web based dealer that also sells cheap carpets and 45 gallon drums of soy sauce. You’ve helped prove what most people allready concluded about buying used equipment from China.

  4. #4sepulchral2024-06-01 09:09

    bought a "2021" from ritchie brothers - a kubota kx161-5. total piece of junk. had a fake s/n tag and hacked hour meter. RB let me return it

  5. #5Coaldust2024-06-01 09:24

    Interesting story from a new member. Thanks for sharing this, kboxx.

  6. #6Tyler d4c2024-06-01 09:28

    Sounds like you bought a machine for the the price you and and got the machine of the value you payed. From your description a few days or wrench pulling and some spare parts you'll have 2 decent excavators

  7. #7Columbo2024-06-01 09:47

    So, did they actually have EPA approved engines with legit approval stickers?

  8. #8skyking12024-06-01 10:13

    ^doubtful.

  9. #9CM19952024-06-01 20:46

    I've been to China twice in the 2000's. When I was there everything and I mean everything was fake. Fake Coke, fake Marlboro's, etc. Like others have said - OP it looks like you got your money's worth

  10. #10crane operator2024-06-02 08:09

    I think you guys are right, that "PC70" doesn't quite match up with pc70 pictures for sale. Its close, but its like it was built from pictures of one.

  11. #11Jonas3022024-06-02 09:45

    Thanks for sharing your experience its about what I guessed it would be whenever something catches my eye on ali Must have had somekind of EPA sticker that they made it in ? hopefully you can get them fixed up and get some work out of them what ever they are

  12. #12pbd052024-06-02 11:28

    As others have said, thanks for sharing. I'd love to see an update once you start using the machines. This is something I've thought of doing myself, but I'm afraid of this exact experience. I believe the only way I would do it is if I would travel out there and inspect the machines myself. With that said, I'd probably look at importing from Japan or another country. I