Good day! I'm in the market for a skidsteer, adn have come across aperson with several older units. He's got a Bibcat 444, 500 & 600, plus a mustang 330. They're all older units, and he's aking $1,500, $3,000 and $3,500 for them, respectively. I plan on using it for light snow removal and some light dirt work. Your thoughts would be appreciated! (and if there's a better option, let's hear it!)
We ran a BC 600 on the farm in ND and I brought it here. If it were me, double what your willing to spend and get something more dependable and capable. Getting rid of that 600 was wonderful day for me. 7K can get you a much more capable machine.
KSSS is right in the 6 to 8 thosand dollar range will get you some dependable.
KSSS is correct. I had a 753 that I paid $7000 for back in 99', when my neighbor saw how useful it was, he went out and bought a small John Deer around 25 hp. for around $3000 and it was useless. It had no power and eventually, after a frustrating couple of years, the old engine shelled out and he had to replace it with a small Honda motor and finally, it would at least work to rated capacity, which was still less than half of my 753. The new Honda motor cost him another $4000 installed. He kept his another year and finally bit the bullet and traded for a BC 873. I had my 753 for 10 years and no problems except a battery needing to be replaced. Look for a nice low hour 753 and you will probably not go wrong.
I have a relative who bought a small and older Oatawna gas unit (like 16hp) in like new condition for about $1,500. It came with several basic attachments too. Small unit but easy to store and serves his needs for small jobs around the place. OTOH, I bought a Case 1845C not too long ago in above average condition with brand spanking new tires and a bunch of other new maintenance items for $6k. So, take a look at what you plan to do with a skid steer and if a small one will work, go that route. If a small one is boarderline, get something larger like a 753. There seem to be a ton of them out there. Winter is a great time of year to buy one, especially around tax time.
Jmithcell59, I forgot to tell you the best part of owning the 753 for 10 years. While the machine was used lightly mostly for building 3 houses and yard and garden work around my place of volunteer work for the neighbors, Other than fuel, my total maintenance cost was around $1000 for the 10 years. The best part was that when I went to sell the machine in 2008, I sold it for $8500. I have not had many things in my life that I have been able to own and sell later and actually make money on, but this was one. My total hour usage over 10 years was around 350 hours. Heck, Prior to owning one, I had always spent $250 to $350 a year to rent a Skid Steer on occasion when I felt the need for one. Around here, they rent for around $60 per hour.
FYI, if you look into larger units at a little higher price, it seems to me from looking at the market, New Holland and Gehl/Mustang machines have lower resale values and therefore you can get a lot of machine in the $4,500-$7,000 range. Look for a Case 1835C which seem to be plentiful. Bobcat 753's seem to be harder to find cheap, and when you do see them cheap, you better be quick with your cash and a lot of them are high hours and need tires (another $900) or other work, which you may or may not want to get involved with. In our area, $7k would be a great deal for a 753, whereas you could get a pretty good NH for $5,500. Check Ebay and Craigslist and you'll see. But if you can find one in the 6k range and it fits your budget, might be a nice way to go.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCAT-TRAK-1500D-SKID-STEER-LOADER-/130642484080?_trksid=p4340.m1374&_trkparms=algo%3DPI.WATCH%26its%3DC%252BS%26itu%3DUCC%26otn%3D15%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6262595703892729873 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mustang-205...207?pt=Skid_Steel_Loaders&hash=item19cd75da07 Ok, here you go. These are the kind of machines that would be perfect for you. Price is a little higher than you are looking at now, but as you can see, you get a LOT more machine for a couple grand more than what you were planning to spend.
Go find yourself a good used cat skid steer. If it ever breaks you'll have no problem finding parts.