Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My mystery machine!

Scarsman ยท 2010-08-20 14:21

Ok, I got the machine for free not running, and you guys helped me figure out it only needed new air filters. Now it runs. But I am trying to figure out just what the heck it is, but many things are not adding up. The guy I got it from called it a 1983 Ford 555. However, in the other thread it seems that does not make sense, because it has a turbo. So here I will post some pictures and information and see if we can figure out what the heck it is? Info first: It says "Ford 555" on the loader arms. It has a 4-in-1 bucket and extendahoe. It has a 3 cylinder turbo diesel motor. It has a 4-speed with torque converter transmission. It has 4 lever controls for the hoe, plus 2 for the outriggers and a foot pedal for the extendaoe. It has 16.9-28 rear tires. When I look up the parts schematics on New Holland's site, I don't see any turbo 3 cylinders, and the consoles don't look like mine. I found a site with TLB specs, and they list 3 speed trans for 555 series. Here are a few pictures and comments of my machine: My console. 4-speed stick between feet, double brake pedal on left, throttle pedal on right. Throttle lever to right of console: Backhoe controls: Left side of engine: Right side of engine: Turbo, from right: This is the tag on the left side of the console. Is the tractor number the serial number? The dealer says there should not be a letter on the start of the serial number, and this number without the letter would mean a 1981 machine, but they could not tell me what machine. These are tags from the lft side of the ROPS. I am assuming they are related just to the ROPS, though it would appear it is made for a 555 TL/TLB: I am thoroughly confused at this point. Is this a frankenhoe? Did someone swap a different motor into it? Put a 555 loader on a different machine? A console from a different machine? Changed the tire size? Is there somewhere else I can look for a serial number? Arrrrggggg!!! :Banghead:dizzy

Replies15
  1. #1Scarsman2010-08-20 14:47

    Hmmm. I have no idea why the pictures don't show. I linked them the same way I always do. :beatsme I guess you'll have to click on them. I'm not a computer wiz!

  2. #2jimg9842010-08-20 17:27

    you dont show A PICTURE OF A TURBO......... a turbo is exhaust driven by turning vanes which turns another set of vanes on the intake air.... if it has that please show it!!!!

  3. #3jimg9842010-08-20 17:33

    turbo from right is a common intake manifold......... good looking machine it will do lots of work

  4. #4Mikefromcny2010-08-20 18:30

    Built march 3rd, 1981 2nd shift. It is a good ol' 555. Mine was built july 20th, 1981, 3 years and a day older then me! How many hours?

  5. #5Mikefromcny2010-08-20 18:32

    I might be able to help you with your more basic questions, I have some experiance with mine.

  6. #6mitch5042010-08-20 18:40

    definitely no turbo

  7. #7Dusty Roads2010-08-20 18:59

    Well it looks like qball has been running it, I see it has the beer holder :falldownlaugh :duh

  8. #8Dusty Roads2010-08-20 19:29

    If you don't see something like this then you don't have a turbo.Looks like a non turbo 3 cyl. diesel to me, probably a 555 like you thought originally.

  9. #9Scarsman2010-08-20 20:37

    My bad!!! wrong picture. Here is the correct one. This is looking at the air side of it, and you can see the oil line running up to it from the left. Trust me, it is a turbo. I did finally find someone at a dealer that cared and really knew something. He worked up the numbers and, as confirmed above, it is a 1981 plain old 555. He said it never came with a turbo, so someone either swapped it with a turbo 3 cyl from another machine or put a turbo kit on it. He said there were turboed 3 cylinders, just not in this machine. Thanks for all the help!

  10. #10Mikefromcny2010-08-20 20:45

    I did see a 78' 555 on machinery trader that had some sort of aftermarket turbo on it once.

  11. #11willie592010-08-20 20:53

    I'm only going to add this to the thread; that pic that shows your turbo shows the source of your clogged air filter, the exhaust leakage. The rubber dust evacuator valve is gone from the bottom of the air cleaner housing and the air cleaner is sucking that carbon exhaust smoke into the air cleaner. You need to fix that exhaust leak and you'll solve your dirty air filter problem.

  12. #12Scarsman2010-08-20 21:45

    Yes, that is exactly the conclusion I came to. That is just the kind of gunk that was on the filter. The rubber dust cap was actually on there, but it was rotted out and hanging in shreds so I pulled it out. I will be replacing that and it also is missing the cap for the other end of the can where the filters slide in from. The new filter has a rubber flap ring that seals it from drawing air in that end, but the old one did not, so it was also sucking air from there. I will be getting a cap, rubber valve, and then trying to fix the exhaust leaks. Like I said, the machine needs plenty of TLC!

  13. #13Tinkerer2010-08-20 22:00

    Scarsman, When you have the hoods off the machine to fix your exhaust leaks, can you take a couple of photos of the engine manifolds and post them ? I am sure that I am not the only that is curious as to how that turbo is mounted and plumbed.

  14. #14Scarsman2010-08-20 22:45

    I sure can. I might have the hood off Sunday, depending on a couple other things. If not it probably wont be until the week after next. But I'll get you some pics. :thumbsup

  15. #15SREHMAT2010-08-21 04:10

    THAT LOOKS LIKE A HAND MADE MUG HOLDER, ALL NEW MACHINES ARE FITTED WITH ONE AS STANDARD OPTION.:drinkup