Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My New 12M

N.CarolinaDozer ยท 2008-12-04 18:54

I got a new 12M yesterday, and I love it!

Replies13
  1. #1Grader4me2008-12-04 19:25

    Wow! What a nice looking machine! Congrats!:drinkup

  2. #2cat 3852008-12-04 22:33

    that's nice! i've been watching the boy's run the 16m's and kennecott's bingham mine, they kick back cross there legs like they are in their easy chairs,

  3. #3N.CarolinaDozer2008-12-04 22:47

    It's nice, it has a radio, and my old 120H took about thirty minutes to get any heat. This morning I crank it up, and 5 minutes later I had to turn the heat off. There is a lot of leg room, and a very comfortable seat. My back would be hurting after running the 120 all day, but not since I got my new 12M.

  4. #4Haul-Pak2008-12-04 23:40

    Nice .... How do you like the operation of the machine. Boy I tell you, The 24M Grader is awsome ..... Came to my Aid the other night clearing snow from around a down 385 ... One of the coolest thing's Ive seen for a while.

  5. #5ovrszd2008-12-05 09:03

    new machine Nice machine!!! We'll be anxious to hear how it works for ya. I still have trouble figuring out the 120M versus 12M thing. For example, I understand that a 12M is bigger than a 120M. But wouldn't it be about the same size as a 140M?? Isn't there quite an overlap of machines in this lineup with 120M, 12M, 140M, 14M?? I didn't include 160M, 16M because I wasn't sure they made such a thing... Understand, I'm not knocking this, I'm just trying to get a mental grip on so many models. :beatsme

  6. #6sledhed2008-12-05 15:50

    Looks like a lot of fun and pretty decent material! I am wondering what the advantage is of the front scarifier over the rear mount?

  7. #7N.CarolinaDozer2008-12-06 11:57

    Its hard to run the scarifier, because you can see it very well. When it hits rock, or hard red clay, which we have here, it wants to dig in. It has a float but I have not mastered it yet. I just end up working it by touch.

  8. #8ovrszd2008-12-06 13:38

    scarifier Deere uses a front mount scarifier but the tool bar also serves to attach the snow plow. They are a little tricky to learn to run. Ripping hard material tends to suck the front tires down so it's hard to maintain a certain depth. I use mine to rip roadbed and save the surface gravel before backhoeing a road culvert in and to rip out big potholes.

  9. #9Grader4me2008-12-06 17:27

    I've run both..the front scarifier and the one behind the front wheels. I like the one behind the front wheels better, mainly because they are easier to see. I'm not sure how much you will accomplish with it on float. Probably the float would be more beneficial if you had a front blade attached. I was ripping up old chipseal/asphalt one time using a Deere with the front scarifier. Some of this would come up in chunks and I had to continually adjust because the front tires would ride up on them. You probably wouldn't get into stuff like that anyways.

  10. #10ovrszd2008-12-07 07:52

    scarifier I've never ran one behind the tires, but I always wondered if it gets in the way anytime doing blade work??? I think there would be times it might interfere with the toe end of the blade when running it shifted to the side?? Also might interfere when pushing big loads of dirt?? Otherwise I think they would be easier to control. Might not tend to suck the tires down as bad when ripping hard material making it easier to control depth.

  11. #11Grader4me2008-12-07 14:18

    The only time it gets in the way is when I'm ditching. If your material has quite a bit of clay mixed in it won't roll off the blade very good and will bunch up between the toe and scarifiers. I usually just take out the shanks when working in that type of material. Other than that no problems at all.

  12. #12Dirt Junkie2009-01-07 19:25

    Looks like a nice machine

  13. #13CAT140H2009-01-07 20:39

    Congrats, Your lucky you at least have dirt to work with, we have nothing but snow and very cold temps.