Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My “new” 1949 Bantam shovel

Roaddog1260 ยท 2016-03-20 21:43

I posted on another thread that I was the proud owner of a M47 Bantam shovel. Truck and deck engines run great! I got the whole machine greased up and tried to see what she would do. I didn't get far as the swing clutches were froze up . Figured the best way to fix it was to pull the swing mechanism out. Not a big deal, luckily there's a boom support crossmember almost directly over the top of the mechanism to hang a come along or a chain fall as the piece is kind of heavy. Got it out, took it into garage and commenced to take it apart. Quite easy to take apart and free up. I'm glad I did as the pressure plate faces had rust on them. Luckily a friend has a lathe and he will be able to clean them up. Not a hard job , just a lot of parts cleaning and scraping 60 year old grease, which is like tar now. One thing I've never seen before is a set screw under a set screw.

Replies19
  1. #1kshansen2016-03-21 09:42

    That's something to watch for, often done to lock the first one, same idea as "double nutting" or using a "jam nut". Think about how most older engines valves are adjusted. I'm sure many here would like to see some pictures of this machine. What does it have for an engine?

  2. #2CaptainAnalyzer2016-03-21 10:14

    We want pictures!

  3. #3Roaddog12602016-03-21 11:19

    I got the mechanism out and the left side taken apart and cleaned the parts. The gear on the right side is being stubborn to get off. I hope with enough heat and a big enough puller I can get it off. After that it's just a matter of cleaning the rest of the parts , turning the rust off the pressure plates and putting it back together. So far, no money spent just time but it's a labor of love! The deck engine is a 4 cylinder international. Crank or electric start and it runs great. Will get some pictures today. BTW this is a great web site.

  4. #4Roaddog12602016-03-22 22:24

    this is my shovel when i first got it then took it home then started working on it

  5. #5Roaddog12602016-03-22 22:27
  6. #6Roaddog12602016-03-22 22:31
  7. #7Roaddog12602016-03-22 22:41

    i tried posting videos of getting swing shaft apart but couldnt get them to upload. It took 2 sets of torches, a gear puller and a big hammer to get the right side gear off.since I had it all apart Im relinning clutch discs

  8. #8Roaddog12602016-04-03 17:49

    Hi guys,Im now looking at a Bantam M47, s/n 3819 cable excavator mounted in a military GMC 6 wheel drive truck. Its all there.Truck engine turns over unfortunately the deck engine is froze up.the deck engine is manufactured by the LeRoi company out of Milwaukie Wi.. S/n on engine is193550.If anybody has any ideas on what year the machine might be or any other info it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Im going to try to post pictures.

  9. #9Roaddog12602016-04-03 18:30

    View attachment 15 2713[/ATTACH]

  10. #10kshansen2016-04-03 18:38

    Roaddog, Can't help much on the age but if not interested in keeping it "original" that upper looks like it would be a good home for a 3-53 Detroit! Might even have been an option back in the day.

  11. #11Roaddog12602016-04-03 18:39
  12. #12Roaddog12602016-04-03 20:00

    not looking for so much original but would like to get it operational

  13. #13Steve Frazier2016-04-03 20:15

    Hi Roaddog1260, Our forums do not support videos, what you can do is load them to YouTube and link to them here. Thanks for posting your thread!

  14. #14RonG2016-04-04 04:41

    Leroi of course are noted for air compressors but they used to build big V8s for the military.Some of the tracked equipment like the 105 Howitzers had them and the big 10 ton tractors that hauled tanks on the lowbeds had them so they have experience with engines.Ron G

  15. #15DoyleX2016-04-04 06:39

    Unless the crank is rusted in the block it can be saved. A pull shovel that age in that shape is a find. There are companies that make custom gaskets, bearings, valves, etc. Of course I didn't saw it would be cheap but you can't put a price on cool.

  16. #16Roaddog12602016-04-04 09:08

    Thanks for the input guys. I cracked the oil plug on the LeRoi and only oil came out so that's a plus.The swing mechanism clutches are different than my power shovel. My shovel has clutch discs and pressure plates where this pull shovel has bands.the serial # on my power shovel is 769 And the pull shovel is 3819. Does anyone know if the numbers are in chronological order. I guess the years of the trucks aren't necessarily the year of the machine. Thanks

  17. #17bigshow2016-04-06 12:35

    S/N 769 is an M-47 built in 1948. S/N 3819 is an M-49 built in late 1952.

  18. #18bigshow2016-04-06 12:37

    And yes, the numbers are in chronological order, and no the year of the truck isn't neseccarily the year of the machine. For what it's worth, I got a '61 T-350 on a '51 REO chassis.

  19. #19Roaddog12602016-04-06 20:44

    THanks a lot Big Show I read the tag wrong on the 3819. Now toget the machine 700 miles home