Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My new buncher?????

stormdodger ยท 2009-12-22 22:45

I will be working for a new contractor in the new year. Being the snoop that I am I went down to check out my new feller buncher that I will be running. Boy am I excited.:cussing

Replies18
  1. #1Wolf2009-12-23 00:01

    congrats on the job. that looks like an awesome machine you get to run. should be fun. saw ones like that on axmen. what kind of trees do you take down in BC? Big ones, ,I bet.

  2. #2JTL2009-12-23 01:21

    Good lord! I think I would grab myself a new 660 Sthil and go to hand cutting before climbing into that rat-trap. How the hell would any contractor expect someone to crawl into a mold filled, stinky, run down ****hole like that, and be happy? It needs a new undercarriage, new seat, about 10 gallons of Febreeze, and some Armor-All before I would even think about running it. Does it run? How long has it been sitting? Does it come with its own personal mechanic? I really hope you set your lines before you go to work in that thing. Jason

  3. #3Wolf2009-12-23 01:58

    didn't notice the mold. yeah that's gross.

  4. #4stormdodger2009-12-23 03:46

    Wolf, The actual job of falling is the best job in the bush ,in my opinion. Youre usually by youself and every block has different situations. Jason, The company i have been working for has finished its 5yr contract. We had 110+ employees. The 110+ employees are now getting split into 4 smaller contractors, and this is where I ended up. This particular machine has been idle since the summer, and has had quite a bit of internal work done,(pumps and looks like new rotek).There is no doubt the under carriage has seen better days. I have been told that mess in the cab will be delt with.:throwup All I can do is wait and see.:beatsme

  5. #5Mapleleaftrucks2009-12-23 10:48

    Nice looking old tigercat just needs some TLC. What size and make of a saw head is that?

  6. #6stormdodger2009-12-23 15:00

    oh, just a little tlc......... I do believe its a tigercat 5700, 23'' cut.

  7. #7Mapleleaftrucks2009-12-23 16:03

    I have a Tanguay 221 feller buncher with a hurracane 22 inch head, lots of fun just laying tree's down.

  8. #8John H2009-12-23 19:51

    that thing is a mess...... good luck maybe it will die and they will get something a little better.:beatsme

  9. #9Wolf2009-12-23 19:55

    Look, in this market, a job is a job, and it's not easy to come by, so make the most of it. I'm sure the machine will clean up, and I hope you have fun out there logging. All the best, man.

  10. #102stickbill2009-12-27 00:11

    Shear You need this.

  11. #11JTL2009-12-27 00:25

    Thats a good looking Valmet. BUT, those wide track pads and no leveling system would render that machine useless anywhere west of the Pecos!:drinkup

  12. #122stickbill2009-12-27 00:29

    Yea but it worked great in South East Texas on a Pipeline right a way.Some times we had mats to walk on. You know Komatsu owns Valmet now.The CO had them put wide pads for the S.E.Texas mud holes.Funny thing we looked at the tracks and in big letters CAT.

  13. #13stormdodger2009-12-27 02:29

    2stickbill, That is a nice lookin buncher. i like the quadco saw. Change the grousers and I would give her a go,. I was running a timberking 732 flat bottem with a 22 inch Risley on 40-45% on one of the last blocks of the year. I was impressed on how them little suckers will climb. I definitly prefer a tilter with a full rotation saw. Hope you guy had a merry xmas.

  14. #142stickbill2009-12-27 11:09

    Well this one had the rotating saw but no leveler which we didn't need kind of flat around here.The loggers here use rubber tired machines all the time.But that one worked well on the right of way kept the environmentalist happy.

  15. #15John C.2009-12-27 13:15

    The first machine looks like a Case or Drott and the falling head looks like an old Risley Rotosaw. What is being refered to as mold looks to me to be frost. The machine looks old but a job in logging right now is hard to find. Even as old as this machine appears to be it will still mow down forests faster than three men with chain saws without the accompanying cost of L&I and benefits. Good Luck!

  16. #162stickbill2009-12-27 14:59

    Your right there.That is why lots of Loggers are buying Equipment.Cheaper than Insurance on Flat Heads.

  17. #17stormdodger2009-12-28 02:31

    Johnc. Its a tigercat 870b And trust me, its mold... There is no dought the forest industy has taken a huge hit right now. But there are jobs out there. I guess its who you know.

  18. #18marcosabatino2010-04-05 22:55

    Yeah I agree Id rather have that anyday than hire a faller. Its uasually like 52 pickup if the faller has a bad day