Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My new ride 2011 580SN

JS580SL ยท 2011-03-31 21:52

Got about 80hours on it so far. Fast and smooth. Back end much heavier than a Super M. Front axle is now made by case, seems to take 1 or 2 more turns of the wheel to turn all the way. I dont like the comfort steer, a bit dangerous. Front end is faster and smoother as well. Much more pushing power. The balance is much different to, Im still trying to get use to that. Its not as "nimble" as a an L or M. Very fast over the road. Very impressed so far. Its definetly a change compared to older models.

Replies24
  1. #1JS580SL2011-03-31 22:02

    Few more, the day after we got it.

  2. #2alrman2011-03-31 22:08

    they certainly look the part - keep us posted on how she performs :thumbsup

  3. #3DGODGR2011-03-31 22:11

    Good for you. I'm sure you will get used to it in time. I've heard that they no longer come with the Cumminns engine. Who is the supplier now? It seems as though they are more European influenced than ever before. Maybe that just comes with Fiat ownership. I hope she turns out to be a good hoe for you. Interesting bucket profile. I can't make out the logo. Who's the maker? Are they custom or do all the N series come with those? I had some custom long lip, shallow heel buckets made, for my Cat, by Woods/Gannon. Great buckets. I still have them all and only two repais have been required so far (since '97). One was from a mistake on my part. The other was from me taking a bone headed risk. I prefer the long lip/shallow heel design for street work. Much better for tunneling, truck loading, and they fill better over a longer pass. IMO this makes it easier to feel things thus helping to prevent breaking existing utilities.

  4. #4JS580SL2011-03-31 22:24

    Its an Iveco motor. Very smooth running. The bucket is a geith bucket meant for a M series or older. I have the sleeves on the pins so it fits the larger diameter holes on the N. I liked the case bucket I had on the last machine but I do agree with you about punching under existing utilities. I like this bucket better strippin the hot top. The boss priced out a Deere 310 but the case was much less and I wanted another case. Have a hammer for it to.

  5. #5DGODGR2011-04-01 00:27

    The boom no longer looks like it's cast from ductile iron. Maybe that's why it feels heavier in back. I see that the N model still has the same "quick coupler". I still feel that Case nailed that design on the head. Simple design that does the job. I only wish you could swap buckets without leaving the cab. My 416C is pre-coupler. I have (5) buckets and a compaction wheel, and every swap I've done on it has been pushing both pins in & out. Both of my excavators have hydraulic coupler and it is NICE (hence the comment about not getting out of the cab). What hammer did you get?

  6. #6amyliveshere2011-04-01 00:59

    lovely machine.i wish we had em in europe.im waiting for delivery of a 590t.should be here next week. nick..........

  7. #7danregan2011-04-01 05:24

    Jimbo- is that the old man's or nueco?

  8. #8JS580SL2011-04-01 16:00

    Yea the boom is fabricated steel instead of ductile. All the pins are 2inch diameter and much larger then past machines. This machine has the "power lift" option. Hit a button the engine will go to a set rpm and the the pump will go from 3,000psi to 3,800rpm all to the boom piston for lifting. Ive yet to lift anything heavy with it but always managed to get it done with the old machine. Dan, The guy I work for bought it. If you in the bellingham area this week give me a buzz and come check it out. My dad's 410G will prob last a long time, really only use it for snow these days with only 1800hrs.

  9. #9Tigerotor77W2011-04-02 00:15

    Looks nice. Too bad a Cat will still outwork it. (just kidding Jim, giving you a hard time.) Keep us posted with pics! I've always thought Case did an excellent job with BHLs overall and wish that Cat would update their heavy, slow E-series already... they're not bad, but I just felt that Cases were more nimble.

  10. #10steve82011-04-03 09:25

    Looks great. PM sent.

  11. #11DGODGR2011-04-03 09:39

    I notice that Case still uses the smaller front tires on thier 'hoes (are they 12-16.5?). Why is that? I ask because, after running that size and the larger 12.5/80/18 (like that on the Cat & Deere), I much prefer them for performance and longevity. Of the people who have run the Case backhoe, and any other brand that uses the 12.5/80/18, do you have a preference, and why? I find that the larger wheel/tire has a smoother ride. My backhoe came with Goodyear tires and I have gotten 5,000 hours on (2) seperate sets. On my first set I used the backhoe in the street, every day, for over 2,500 hours. I still reached 5,000 hours and I did not run it 'till the cord was showing (it was replaced when the tread wore down to the main carcase) What are your thoughts?

  12. #12oceanobob2011-04-03 10:01

    The larger front tires were explained to me at Con Agg due to increased capacity but to me the JD machine looks like it leans back more so while the Case N was a little less so. The larger tire IMHO 1. would decrease turning radius and 2 make the front end lighter going up hills. The light front end is why I have more difficulty w JD than the Case - this is with the 4wd and 4:1. I have not tried a JD with the biggest counterweight. The Case fab'd steel boom continues the over center feature and this is a very important consideration for me for the hill climbing ability.

  13. #13Burnout2011-04-03 13:15

    How long until the hood starts to rust? Jim knows my former love for Case TLB's but as of recently the way they back up their product and look after customers disgusts me. I never figured out why JD switched to a fibreglass hood with the G series but after seeing 2 very new M's with rusty hoods I with Case would do the same. I will agree they still have the best coupler on the marker, simple, efficient and practical. I believe if you get the N+ or N wide packages you end up with the larger front tires. I have also wondered why Case sticks with the smaller front tires on the "super" model. As for Case making a great backhoe, I think they lost it after the L Series 2's. They were a great machine and I'd take one any day. The M's have done less than impress me.

  14. #14handtpipeline2011-04-03 13:42

    I notice the coupler is about the same, but the linkage itself is different. Another pin has been added. I wonder what that accomplishes? Is the inner part of the dipper still cast? It looks like it to me. Also, is that a light on the side of the cab? If so, I think that's a very good idea. I've thought about adding some kind of side lights to my Super M. I've also thought about some kind of lights on the boom, like an excavator. You just can't always get positioned where your cab lights fit the demand. Very nice looking machine I think. I've just got about 1100 hours on my Super M, so I don't intend on upgrading for a long time. We do have an M I would like to trade on another Super M or something one of these days though. I'm just not impressed at all with it. Of course I'm used to my Super L, then this Super M, but honestly, I think the Super K (1993 model) that got stolen would out dig the M. I know it would out-lift it. I do wish at times I had the 4in1 bucket on mine. We had a JD310SE for a while, and that was the one thing I liked about it. I will say, it was a pretty stout machine, but it didn't have the balance of a Case. Wasn't as quick on the hydraulics either, but it had a lot of hours on it when we got it, so I can't fairly compare it to a Case with a lot less hours.

  15. #15JS580SL2011-04-03 17:07

    I know what you mean, I spent alot of time on a Super L still love em. Still gladly take one any day. I dont miss the M turbo at all, maybe a little centimental value to it but otherwise they can keep it. The front bucket linkage, stabilizers, e-hoe, back bucket linkage, and maybe the front axle are still ductile. The front axle is now made by case, the rear still carraro. The bucket linkage now gets full rotation without having to swap pin holes. weight wise this machine feels alot more like a cat or deere. Maybe a light mounted on the dipper mount on the inside of the stick up tucked in close to the boom? Outa the way but there to shine directly into the trench when its late a nite and cant see s****? Would be better than a couple guys tryin to hold a flashlight....

  16. #16DGODGR2011-04-03 20:38

    I have not noticed any turning radius drawbacks with the larger tires. I have found many backhoes, from many brands, that are too light in the front. My 416 is the best balanced TLB that I have ever operated. It has 4x4, three chin weights, and the 4 in 1 bucket. The back end has the extendable dipper, and it even feels balanced with the 3' bucket mounted. The over center design of the Case has always kept the machine from "porpusing" but I always felt as though they roaded very roughly. In all fairness I have not run a Case TLB since the K models were new. I hate when the MFRs offer a "new & improved" model that we, as the end users, find to be less than the models that they replaced. I remember when the K model was released. I prefered the E over the K. I'm sorry to hear that you guys like the Ls better than Case's last two offerings. Maybe once this N breaks in a bit you will like it better.

  17. #17JS580SL2011-04-03 23:36

    The job we are on right now theres no need for plates or heavy lifting but one thing that sucks with a case, any weight on the front tires and the wheels wont turn unless moving. A little deere 310E will pick a 6x12 and the wheels turn like nuthing. Maybe the N will be different? So far I really like the new machine. Take some gettin use to. The only thing Im not a huge fan of is the fact that theres a lot more "cushion" in the back end hydralics. Its smooth but I like the fast reaction in the older machines. Slop in the pins never bothered me and not having the smooth cushion in the swing never bothered me. Its the wave of the future I guess. Equipment is being designed for new less experianced operators to be able to be better operators...

  18. #18hammerdwn202011-04-05 20:43

    Nice new machine! im jealous! Did you delete your youtube?

  19. #19cgraham12011-05-03 04:20

    Wanna trade?:lmao

  20. #20RCTech92011-05-03 21:50

    Nice Backhoe!!!

  21. #21JS580SL2011-05-03 22:51

    590SL is a nice hoe. Still a few things I like better bout the L's. The new machine has been at the dealer gettin a few things changed past week or two. In the meantime I got the old M turbo which I'd gladly trade u for?

  22. #22trackhoejoe2011-05-14 21:49

    Burnout, I agree with everything you've said in the above post. We've got 2 SL series 2's and 1 SM+ series 2 and the SM+ is a dog compared to SL's. I think when Fiat took over they took a huge step back IMHO. Hopefully they're going to get it right on the N's

  23. #23cat3202011-05-16 10:22

    looks like a nice machine would love to have a new one like that. how are the Iveco engines? you think it is better than the cummins?

  24. #24JS580SL2011-05-16 14:17

    The cummins is still numb 1 in my book. The new machine has alot of power, digs like an animal. On the down hills and flats it cruises. The engine runs smooth but I think the L's have more pick up to them. The emissions are killin everything. I had a 590SL with over 5K hrs and a good size hammer on it last week, it would still take off faster and climb the hills a little better that the new machine with just a 12inch bucket on the back. The machine is much more awqward and heavy and the new style brakes I'm still getting use to. Stops much quicker and very spongy on the pedals. Over the road the steering is smoother. In tight spots it takes more turnin of the wheel. Im not a fan of the comfort steer. So far I like the speed of the hydralics much better, Im starting to really like the new toggle button for the 4n'1 which I thought I'd hate, alot more pushing power, and the road speed is fast once your going good.