Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

my new toy

jimmyjack · 2008-10-11 20:56

so if anyone noticed in my posts before a friend and i have a ASV rc60, well we traded it in for a new pt80. i really havent had much time on it yet but it kicks ass

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies45
  1. #174inchShovel2008-10-11 21:05

    I love the look of the new PT series, they look truely purpose built, how did the 60 treat you?

  2. #2Bellboy2008-10-12 09:06

    Best looking skid I have seen in ages. In my book, better looking than the cat. What you gonna use her for?

  3. #3Shawno2008-10-12 19:31

    What is the unit on top of the cab? I am assuming AC or cab air filtration or I may be completely off base.

  4. #4jimmyjack2008-10-12 22:39

    yea thats the a/c on the roof

  5. #5Shawno2008-10-13 18:37

    Must be a nice option on a warm summer day. There have been a few days in my Bobcat I would have sold my left leg for that option. However in retrospect that might not have been such a wise move, since I have foot controls.

  6. #6mdterp2008-10-13 20:32

    be careful with that undercarige, ASV's and Cat have a terrible name around here because of them. The local dealer is will not warrenty them if you are not using them in sand or grass only

  7. #7Digdeep2008-10-13 23:33

    Warranty cover defects in material and workmanship..period..it was the same when I sold Bobcats and all others are the same too. Read the machine's warranty. Damage or abuse due to neglect are not covered and I highly doubt any dealer worth his salt would not service a machine if the failure was of no fault to the operator. I have over 2000 hours on my RC50 in all kinds of applications besides sand and grass. I will be getting new tracks before the snow flies up here in Wisconsin. I've operated a SR80 before they changed to the PT80 and man did that thing move. I could not believe how much snow it would push. Good luck with the new machine.

  8. #8greatdane2008-10-14 05:38

    Awesome machine !!

  9. #9mdterp2008-10-14 19:44

    I agree that a warrenty can cover man. defects but it can also be resrtictive on the type of work a unit will be used for. Manufactures and every a dealership can include extra restriction if they know the machine will not hold up and therefor should not be used in these environments. demo contractors face this all the time. You can even de denied financing for a machine if the term is too long for the expect life of a machine in certin environment (no more than 36 months for demo)

  10. #10Wolf2008-10-14 19:56

    very nice machine. very nice machine. looks too shiny though, get some seat time in it, bro, and have some fun.

  11. #11cybermallinc2008-10-28 21:14

    rc-60 / pt-80 really nice looking pt-80. how many hrs. do you have on it? i'm thinking about getting one in 2009. my intended use is snow plowing & logging in southeastern pa. i'll keep watching your posts to see how you like it. last week i started checking around for a low hour asv to demo & got a call back from a salesman on a 05 rc-60 w/ 280 hours from a dealer in eastern pa. they said it was really clean, but just to be sure, before they delivered it to my shop, i had them email photos of it. the pics showed a freshly pressure washed machine that looked nice enough so i went up to the shop to try it out. after 15 minutes in the machine, the turbo developed a bad leak in the return line & spewed oil all over the engine compartment & their parking lot & the alternator started clicking & it wouldn't charge. i left the dealer & went home because both items had to be replaced with a new ones. after a week, they had repaired these items so they brought it down to my shop. i just finished a 3 day demo & here is how it went: soon after hooking up my grapple I headed up to my favorite logging trail & went to lift my first log & the machine developed an auxilliary hydraulic problem & couldn't retract the loaded or empty grapple (800 lbs). i got out & after unhooking the loose rear brush guard, looked under the hood to troubleshoot & found a fitting on the bottom of the hydraulic tank was leaking as was the sight glass. upon closer inspection, i found the valve cover bolts were loose. once i started running it again to get back to the shop, i heard a noise from the roof so i stopped & climbed up on the track & looked at the a/c unit & it had 4 missing "L" brackets & was only held w/ a zip tie. i got back in it only to hear a noise coming from the left track so i got out again & looked the wheels over & found the 2 front left wheels were shot. once i got back to the shop,the rest of the day was spent looking the machine over. i found the horn wasn't working & heater vents at seat were all missing & door sensor was epoxy glued & zip tied. other than that it's a nice machine.... whoever traded it got rid of it just in time. the salesman picked it up friday & took it back to the shop. after they fix the hyd. lifting problem they're want to bring it back for another demo. i don't know much about asv. any advice? should i be scared? what kind of machine did you have before the pt-80?

  12. #12HeyUvaVT2008-10-28 21:25

    we have an rc100 that we absolutely beat the snot out of everyday...its used for forestry mulching and clearing and i wouldnt trade it for the world...sounds like you got ahold of a lemon..stay away from that machine unless they fix EVERYTHING and you get a REAL good deal on it....

  13. #13jimmyjack2008-10-28 22:37

    hey cybermallinc, thats my old machine, you got it from powerco right. when traded in they were told all the things it needed and it sounds like they fixed none of it it was a very good machine other then the gremlins, seemed like every 12hrs something would break, the week before it was traded we changed out the other side support bearing on the track. two weeks before was the return line, a month ago was the altenater. me personally i think it was a machine with more hours that they put a new hour meter in, shorty after getting the machine i found a service sticker that had the next service a 750:beatsme

  14. #14talus2008-10-28 23:13

    Whats up jimmyjack? Where in RI are you? I think I remember in some of your other posts it was the east bay area. I love my sr 80. Are you still on the road?

  15. #15KSSS2008-10-29 00:52

    At least it has a quality bucket (CASE XT series).

  16. #16cybermallinc2008-11-01 07:21

    sr80 talus, is there anything at all that you don't like about the sr80? i'm considering the pt80. thanks

  17. #17jimmyjack2008-11-02 00:21

    a couple more pics of the pt80 for cybermallinc, got a couple of the inside, tryed getting some of the engine compartment but you cant see much,one shows how tight the door tucks up when open and one of the hyd quick tach and the high and low flow hyds

  18. #18jimmyjack2008-11-02 00:23

    last two

  19. #19Bellboy2008-11-02 01:10

    Mmmm, that looks real nice. The cab looks impressive (for a skidsteer.)

  20. #20cybermallinc2008-11-02 08:48

    asv pt-80 jimmyjack, thanks for the photos. this is one nice rig & it even has a cupholder which makes it look more like a pickup truck interior than a mtl. from the photos it looks like the overhead door tucks up tight so it's not riding on your head like the one in my deere 317. how is the ride quality when in first or second gear?

  21. #21bullit3402008-11-02 09:03

    Dont mean to hijack the thread but I cant post here yet I guess. I am currently looking to add another skid for snow work. I checked out a pt80 yesterday and was quite impressed. Is the pt80 really that good in the snow? I have only operated rubbertired machines. I want to be able to put a 10' pusher on it. Is it really worth the extra $$$

  22. #22jmf2008-11-02 10:25

    Thanks for the PT80 photos. With the MP2 cab, it looks the same as my SR80. I have had some issues but the workability is much appreciated. I am just south of Buffalo, the snow home of lake effect. I have pushed snow with all sorts of configurations, but the ASV has been the easiest (even with just a dirt bucket). No worries about pushing it back far enough, since you can always move it. It is a nice feeling to sleep without trepidation when there is a very real possibility of a morning record-breaking snowfall. jmf

  23. #23Digdeep2008-11-02 12:33

    Here is a video link from youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--4p49ESIEo

  24. #24bullit3402008-11-02 17:19

    wow, I can not believe that video on u tube. Thats awesome. This is bobcat country around here. Snow is where we put the most hours on our machine. We need another skid for this winter due to increased work. Hopefully you guys can help since you all seem to have so much knowledge. Currently I run a s185 with a 8'pusher and I really cant complain. I started out searching for a used bobcat to add but wanted a machine that could push a 10' pusher. I have not been able to find anything with the hours and condition that I want so I have been looking at slightly used as well. This is where I need some advice. Option 1: used cat 246b rubber tires with just over 100 hrs, single speed machine 23k Option 2: Deere 328 with 500 hrs, two speed machine, conventional hand foot controls. 25k Option 3: Positrack 80, demo under 200 hrs, I would have to do a winter rental with the option to buy. Serious money in my book. I only log 250 hrs a year on our skid now. 43k If I were only to run one machine I would probrably go this route but I need too keep my s185 so I am thinking this is just too much money. I did see one advertised the other day for 35k with 125 hrs on it, but it was a private sale. I just don't want to spend 25k and wish I had bought the asv. I have always owned bobcats and thats it. I have no problem switching but just want the right machine. I have no real world exp with the cat or the deere either just demo. Is the 2 speed really worth the extra coin or hrs? I need to stack snow at least as high as my s185 which I believe all 3 will do. The skid will need to spread some dirt and move mulch etc... during the other 8 months. Are there any problems with the deere or the cat. I have been reading everything here for a week so much info. I don't mean to hijack your thread but I cant post new yet. Anyways congrats on the asv. Any advice is appreciated

  25. #25jimmyjack2008-11-02 18:06

    heres another vid that i like that shows how your backs gonna feel at the end of the day http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU2_bLLKfyw ive ran bobcat ,deere,cat both track and tire machines. if im gonna be in a skid steer 8+hrs a day it would be a cat or asv, i went with the asv .if theres any other questions i could help with

  26. #26Digdeep2008-11-02 20:13

    I sold Bobcats for over 8 years and the S185 is a good machine. I ultimately got out of the selling business and now teach math at the junior high level. I also do small landscaping jobs over the summer (summers off is a good perk for being a teacher) and remove some snow over the winter. I own an S220 which I will end up selling and I bought a RC50. I had lots of experience with the Bobcat tracked machines and had seen enough ASVs, CAT MTLs, Takeuchi's etc. The ASV just fit my needs better than the others and I have not been disappointed. if anything, it has surpassed my expectations. One thing that I have found out is that the RC50 has really increased the jobs that I can do compared to a skid or other track machines. The PT80 comes standard with 2spd and high flow so a snow blower would work well too. I can honestly say that I have seen them all push snow up here in the Madison area and nothing compares to the ASV machines. Imagine what the PT80 could do with a 10' blade if it can push a 9300lb machine backwards? I think that you will find yourself putting more hours the machine than you think you will due to its versatility. I know I did. Good luck.

  27. #27talus2008-11-03 00:14

    Cybermallinc, I can't really think of anything that I don't like about the sr 80. I would suggest you get the 18'' tracks. Unless optimum flotation is a must. It's not even 1 psi difference with the 20'' s. I say this because the 20'' tracks have a row of drive lugs in the inside and outside of the track. The lugs seem to trap stones and stuff against the bogies and chunk them up faster. I use a front runner rake (like a york rake but you push it) to plow snow and can push up a good size pile. Then drive up and over it. I also have the cab with no lap bar. It's just a belt. I went this way because it's a little more roomy. I do like the lap bar set up but felt squished ( 6'1'' and 230lbs). The cab design I have also does not have the cup holder. Not sure if thats a big deal to you but I like the little extra room. I don't think you will be disapointed.

  28. #28cybermallinc2008-11-03 03:46

    talus, thanks for the 18" track advice. on the 20" the extra set of drive lugs trapping debris is something i wouldn't have thought about & i imagine they are harder to turn since they are wider so i'm settled on the 18's. i'll have to try each cab option to see which one suits me best.

  29. #29mouse2008-11-03 05:02

    i looked at that video and all i could see was 2 machines running very different tracks so i thought the result just so woftam. howbout we line the machines up on the same make, width and tread of track before rising to the bait then swallowing all the ground tackle seems to me there are more than a few people in here very very keen to push their own particualr type of barrow when it comes to skidsteers... the people i listen to most in hef are the ones who point out the first thing you need to look at in a machine is the backup cause its next to useless if you cannot keep it running no matter how much bling it carries. then the next relevant point is the cost of keeping it doing what its meant to be doing. ah, for the record i'm a bobcat man but thats everything to do with relationships and nothing to do with price nor to a lesser degree performance. end rant!

  30. #30jimmyjack2008-11-03 10:49

    pretty sure the point of that video is to show you how much better the traction is with asv track sys. same with this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjYT8lQN6YU and bling facter i wouldnt care much about if just anybody was gonna be running , but because im gonna be in it9/10 times i want all the bling ,i'm even gonna put a radio in it. im not one to push a brand on someone ,just gonna tell u what i like personally , like i said i've got seat time in most of the major name brand skids and could tell what i like and dont like with all of them

  31. #31jimmyjack2009-01-12 19:27

    some pics from over the winter so far, scraping an old trailer , then i was seeing if i can fit everything one the trailer at once... it works but a bigger one is needed

  32. #32dieselnut2009-01-13 20:34

    Best of luck to you with the machine. Keep us updated on how you like it.

  33. #33brian falcone2009-01-14 20:50

    nice machine nice looking unit. where in rhode island are you located ? thats looks like a nice area with the homes in the background. im up in woonsocket but should be out in the sticks by spring. thanks for showing the pics. brian

  34. #34jimmyjack2009-01-14 23:11

    down in portsmouth, i just tell people newport alot of times they know where that is :drinkup

  35. #35brian falcone2009-01-15 08:51

    yup portsmouth is nice. we did all the gas pathes in newport and we have a job going for pezuco in portsmouth. havent been there yet but we have a bunch of machines there. brian

  36. #36jimmyjack2009-01-15 17:28

    wheres that job at? do you work for hartford paving?

  37. #37brian falcone2009-01-15 20:42

    work for Kay-Cor out of cumberland. the job is for pezzuco and its right off w. main road. i havent been there yet but or 320, d3c and d250e are all there. some sort of assisted living thing i guess,.

  38. #38Dusty2009-01-15 20:52

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocUsQiRKCUU&feature=related WE run a 277b the vid is not mine just to show uall

  39. #39skidsteernewb2009-01-16 10:14

    Hey guys you all seem very experienced and knowledgeable about different skid steers. I'm doing some research for a project and I was hoping that you might have some time to fill out a quick survey that my team and I developed to improve the next generation of skid steers. Here's the link: Thanks for help.

  40. #40Digdeep2009-01-16 14:26

    Why isn't ASV included in the survey? I would think they've sold more machines than JCB and just as many or more than Takeuchi over the years. At least in the upper midwest or WI.

  41. #41brian falcone2009-01-16 17:11

    job jimmyjack. the job is at quaker estates right off w main road

  42. #42jimmyjack2009-01-17 20:07

    hey brain, you had me confused a little bit that jobs on rt138 (east main) ...ive done alot of paving in there a couple years ago when the expanded rt114 is west main rd

  43. #43brian falcone2009-01-17 20:37

    hey i was close.lol..as far as i know the site is a mess. the builder wanted it quickly graded so they could pour....but now i hear its rutted up and frozen solid. i think we supposed to go down there next week and start digging utillities. better than nothing . the future looks grim .

  44. #44jimmyjack2009-01-18 14:56

    at least your working

  45. #45skidsteernewb2009-01-18 17:47

    Sorry we didn't include ASV. At the time we made the survey we hadn't realized they had such a strong market presence. Unfortunately adding it now will skew results. Again sorry for the highjack. We are starting a new thread. Thanks for all responses.