Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My review of a Bosch laser level

fastline ยท 2020-10-05 16:51

Bosch should be writing me a check! (you listening Bosch?) Anywho, I bought one of the best lasers I could find at a big box store by the rated accuracy, which was I believe +/- 1/8" at 100ft. I figured it would get me by. However, I decided I better actually check the accuracy before putting it on some important work. Under actual test, that laser just left me stunned! It was about +/- 1/8" at 450ft! The accuracy is tested by letting the unit level, shoot something in at distance, then without disturbing the tripod, rotate the laser and reset and shoot again. I did 3-4 rotations and back to original position. The pros here might be that Bosch is looking to become a serious pro level contender for laser products, and that level is super simple to use. However, I will say it does not have a rechargeable pack, has an anemic grade pole with limited height, and does not appear to be build for rough handling on a job site. However, if you are throwing around precision instruments, you will have issues with anything you buy. Just my opinion, but seems Bosch has some things figured out with lasers and much cheaper than the pro solutions AND this level even has vertical plumbing ability! It has both the vertical center point when shooting horizontal, and can be put on its side for vertical plumbing of walls and such.

Replies3
  1. #1Camshawn2020-10-06 00:32

    Fastline: What model did you get? I looked at all the options last month from Bosch to Stabila to DeWalt, etc and could not decide. I just could not justify the expense ($1500+)for the usage I would get. Home Depot had a Bosch kit (sounds similar to what you describe) at about $800 can if I remember right but i could not find much info about them. My neighbour has an older DeWalt that I was able to use for a few days. Cam

  2. #2fastline2020-10-06 00:52

    I have a GRL1000. This one doesn't do grade. That is something that might be handy but I can do simple math. Personally, I would not even consider Dewalt. Their specs were no good and look like a space money. I think my reality was that Bosch likely is better than their advertised precision. They released a new pro version that seems priced very right for having all the bells. I think they are going to shake things up with Spectra, Trimble, and such.

  3. #3Camshawn2020-10-06 01:04

    Thanks for the reply. I will see what model is available here tomorrow. With the older DeWalt I borrowed. The receiver Had a dead-band of About 1/16th at 50 feet but for my little job it was good enough. Reading the laser on a rod seemed much better, just not as easy. Cam