Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

My southern neighbours

cuttin edge · 2020-11-03 08:49

Just throwing this out there. Remove it if you have to. If it's possible disable the comments section. As North Americans, we enjoy many democratic freedoms that others around the globe do not. The eyes of the world are on the United States today. As an outsider, a Canadian, I can look into both sides of the party issues. But what I would like to say, is that no matter the outcome of this election, you are all Americans. Brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers, sons and daughters. You are a proud and powerful nation, with a great history. Be proud of who you are, and remember that different politics, shouldn't end friendships, even online ones. We are all adults here. Good luck to all.

Replies23
  1. #1JamesL2020-11-04 13:20

    I agree and very proud to be an American. No matter who wins this election, we are all still Americans and should love and respect each other.

  2. #2aighead2020-11-04 13:51

    Well said @cuttin edge even for a blimey member of a commonwealth! j/k There are still a handful of holes where we are all adult enough to chat and get along, even if we don't agree on everything, I feel like HEF is definitely one of them. While I have my strong opinions of who should win this election as long as it's counted truly and honestly I'm ok with however it goes. It'd been much easier if it was a blowout for either candidate, or Kanye.

  3. #3Ct Farmer2020-11-04 15:42

    Totally agree, a blowout would be better. For both sides. You have a winner and loser. Not this oh, maybe stuff. Just makes the divide all the worse.

  4. #4John Canfield2020-11-04 18:16

    Whoever is sworn in as president, respect the office and don't be mean.

  5. #5funwithfuel2020-11-04 19:15

    Ya spelled neighbors wrong.

  6. #6Willie B2020-11-04 19:54

    If you refer to the Presidential race, we haven't had a great candidate in many years. We as USA voters are often in a position of voting against a candidate we desperately do not want as President. I hope we as Americans can make the best of the final outcome of this close race & move forward as best we can. I personally don't endorse either candidate, even Kanyae West seemed a better choice.

  7. #7Welder Dave2020-11-04 21:59

    It's not much different in Canada. Most of the time you're voting for who you think is the lesser of two evils.

  8. #8aighead2020-11-05 06:43

    Voting for the lessor of two evils does really suck until I consider if I'd want to be president. Then it makes some sense why no sane, decent person would want it.

  9. #9Nige2020-11-05 07:13

    I heard it said - "It's like looking down the bar at closing time and asking, Is this it.? Is this all we have to choose from.?" I would venture to suggest that if the ballot paper were to contain the option to vote for "None of the Above" it is highly likely that NoTA would be duly elected...

  10. #10Willie B2020-11-05 07:32

    I count ballots in a VERY small town. We had 119 voters in this election. Yes, we do have voters who write "anybody but". In this election we must have had 12 names on the ballot. Some pretty far fetched, I. E. Kanyae West who's primary claim to fame was making an ass of himself at some music award show. Still we get write in votes for Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and local well known mentally handicapped people.

  11. #11Vetech632020-11-05 07:56

    Its like a child watching their parents duke it our for you...............but you would rather just go and live with Grandma.

  12. #12Ct Farmer2020-11-05 08:59

    Our state legislature is heavily controlled by one party and they just increased their numbers. It is so bad that when they make big decisions, budgets etc. they do it behind closed doors and don’t even invite the other party. Yes, they actually locked them out and passed a budget. Our town is even worse last year a good friend was running for reelection and was thrown off the ballot by his own party because he once supported and voted for a proposal from the other party. The things they said were brutal. I have to wonder if places like U.K., France and others with many parties represented have the garbage politics that we have with only 2 parties.

  13. #13Nige2020-11-05 09:40

    I can only speak for the UK but there are still only 2 major political parties, albeit with a number of minor ones. As I see it the major difference is in the way elections are run and how a government is formed. For example everything is "first past the post" and no electoral college. There is only one elected House, the House of Commons, which I guess is broadly similar to the House of Representatives. The members of the upper chamber (House of Lords) are not elected. The leader of the political party with a majority in the HOC is invited by HM the Queen to form the Government. He or she then becomes Prime Minister and leads the country. Therefore there is no possibility that the person leading the country is of a different political persuasion than the majority in the elected HOC. In its simplest form that's how the system works. A more detailed version can be found here........ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament_of_the_United_Kingdom

  14. #14_Weldman_2020-11-05 11:26

    This country was once run by veterans and generals who served this great country to make it what it is, now it's ran by career politicians and celebrities. No, we aren't all Americans down here as the influx of illegals have began taking over and our own leaders letting them in and encouraging them too. Some are going as far as letting them hold office on tax payers dollars giving them jobs, rights, freedoms and money over the American people that they don't deserve. When I see veterans sleeping on the streets cause this country tossed them aside in favor of the illegals is where I began to question this country. Those who have built lives torn down to be handed to those wanting handouts through taxation is all the reason this nation is divided as such. For this I have described is reason for such animosity among one side or the other cause as time goes on it's more about for America or against America. Give a mouse a cookie he will ask for glass of milk...

  15. #15Willie B2020-11-05 17:18

    Looking back through history, there were few standout presidents. Washington was elitist, but did do a good job. Adams had an uneventful time, but would be remembered well if times had been more troublesome. Lincoln was a good man. My sixth grade teacher (a southerner) believed his "stroke of a pen" changes destroyed the lives of both black & southern whites. He would argue that much of the racial anger we see now, grew from Lincoln's seeds. In my time, I see Eisenhower as a great man, Kennedy was a whore master, utterly corrupt, but he did a lot of good things. Nixon himself accomplished some good. Reagan wasn't a bad man. Carter was utterly a perfect neighbor. I have no criticism for him. 100% of his efforts were toward improving life for all Americans. We climbed over two Bushes in the journey, one was an altruist, unaware there was a working class in this country. The other knew there was a working class, but he didn't care. We had Hillary, acting through her turd husband. Later we had Hillary as a direct candidate. I thirst for a female president, or any other "minority" able to steer this nation. Not a woman as corrupt & evil as she. Before I vote for a woman, I'll need someone more honorable than Hillary. She might be the most corrupt politician this nation has ever seen.

  16. #16John Canfield2020-11-05 17:31

    Jimmy C is a very smart guy but he thought wage and price controls were the fiscal fix for the energy crisis in the 70s. It was a predictable complete disaster. Ronnie Regan is my all time presidential hero.

  17. #17Ct Farmer2020-11-05 23:06

    Most of our politicians have become so disconnected from those they supposedly represent that it is a wonder they can even find their way back here at election time. Our 2 Senators spend most of their time mugging for the cameras about whatever makes good press today. Never mind things actually of concern to us back home. One of them makes this annual ‘walk’ across the state to meet people. He is so clueless and busy trying to shake hands and kiss babies he is gonna get clipped by a tri-axle someday. I’m all for term limits. They get stale after awhile. Some actually look petrified.

  18. #18aighead2020-11-06 06:43

    @Willie B I got into a loop of reading some books about the secret service, White House and presidential stuff and while I wasn't around to verify it (or not old enough) Carter has been painted as kind of a phoney. Lots of stories of him mugging it up for the cameras to make him look like a normal, blue collar kind of guy when really he was often faking it. For example, carrying his own suitcases to the plane, to look like one of us, but they were empty, etc. I personally don't care who is president, so long as they are qualified. I think they could have likely solved the problem we are currently having if the left had run Tulsi Gabbard. She seems like a stand-up lady who, in my opinion, would have been a great option, and I lean hard conservative.

  19. #19Willie B2020-11-06 07:41

    High level politicians have to step on the fingers of all the other criminals also trying to climb the political ladder. A politician owes a lot of favors to a lot of people who aren't concerned about what is fair. Kiefer Sutherland's series DESIGNATED SURVIVOR is in no way an accurate portrayal of White House life. Still, that scenario is the only way a not corrupt person could ever hold major public office. It takes a lot of money to run a campaign. The fat cats donating that money expect something in return. That said, The concept of the White House must be in question. We as a nation are trying to be all socially correct, pretend slavery, racial prejudice, and countless other injustices never happened. Black Lives Matter is the only acceptable prejudice. Shouldn't we rename the White House? How about the Black House? The rebel flag evolved from the symbol for half a nation in a Civil war to a symbol of redneck pride. For the Vermont rednecks proudly displaying it as a 12' long banner for the left side of their rusted out pickups, it never did symbolize anything remotely related to racial prejudice. Now we got rednecks all over driving around with lop sided pickups.

  20. #20Hobbytime2020-11-06 09:45

    In a perfect world that thought might work out, but not now...from what ive seen happen in this country in the last 50 years is disgusting...and its in snowball effect..the change from patriotic Americans to a split nation..1 side loves America and the other side wants to see it ripped apart..so I have to disagree with you that we are all : Americans"..it is more than clear who are not Americans..they have become a cancer slowly eating away at the country and its just about reaching stage 4 cancer and the host will soon die... I can easily see this country split in 2..the progressive liberal side and the conservatives.... I hope Trump wins and continues to try and turn the country around..but I fear its too late..so the next step will be more civil unrest from both sides until a civil war....you say its far fetched for a civil war..well I believe this country is the only one that hasnt gone through a civil war or over throw of the government since we became a country... sad either way to see it happening...but the sides are the furthest away from coming together in decades... you can try and blame both sides, but 1 side has noticeable advanced further down the socialist progressive road than the other, and this country was not built on or for socialism..but it will fall apart on it..all you have to do is look south to Venezuela...that country was one of the richest countries on earth..and now its lower than a 3rd world nation because it went socialist... I dont see this ending well no matter what happens..but I can tell you now..we are NOT ALL AMERICANS.....

  21. #21John Canfield2020-11-06 09:53

    So maybe our country will have a fling at Socialism/Marxism - I wonder how well that worked out where it's been tried .

  22. #22digger242j2020-11-06 19:41

    Hey, anybody wanna talk about heavy equipment?

  23. #23CM19952020-11-06 19:50

    Well it's not heavy equipment per say but one of my F350's A/C quit cooling yesterday and the crew is kinda upset about it. Oh yeah in addition the transmission shifts hard from 3rd to 4th. 2013 with 150K miles. On edit - it needs a DEF heater too.