Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mysterious piece found in oil pan of cummins motor.

BIgMike614 ยท 2018-04-16 17:02

I was helping a friend do a service on a 04 T800 mixer. On the drain plug I found what looks to be a piece of cast iron. None of us here at the shop nor the two Cummins mechanics with "30 years a piece" can figure out where it came from, the motor is a Cummins ism. Any help would be much appreciated, even a place to start looking. Thank you.

Replies7
  1. #1Truck Shop2018-04-16 17:30

    On a piece like that with machined inner surface I would drop the pan and look for more parts and pieces. My thought is it came from top end, It's part of a boss structure and I can't remember anything in the front or rear structures that would contain something like that. Has that engine ever had the head removed or other major work? Truck Shop

  2. #2DoyleX2018-04-16 17:53

    L10-M11-ISM close to the same upstairs. Many many years ago I had a L10 that broke part of the rocker shaft holder. Its easy to pull the covers and have a look.

  3. #3Wes J2018-04-16 18:21

    I'd be suspicious of cam followers.

  4. #4Truck Shop2018-04-16 18:44
  5. #5Truck Shop2018-04-16 18:48
  6. #6funwithfuel2018-04-16 22:49

    Absolutely agree with rocker arm theory. Are there service records to look at. Someone may have performed a repair and left that bit to find its way down to the pan. BTW , does it have Jakes? It almost looks like the slave piston bore, a little. That would be a large casting with edges to break off. As I look closer , I think I see a snap ring groove, if so , I'd start at the Jakes. You kinda hafta since they're on the very top. Lol

  7. #7DMiller2018-05-06 19:13

    Have found push rod heads, rocker arm nuts, pieces of feeler gauge over the years. The one SINGULAR scary part to find is cam bushing copper or copper/steel. That is BAD JuJu.