Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mystery mini grader identification

iowahill · 2023-06-18 17:52

Anybody out there that can identify the make of this mini grader? I spotted this grader just off the road on the way to my property. It has a 4-cylinder Ford diesel motor, but no other identification of make that I could see. It has hydraulic drive and is likely someone's "project". Looks like there were problems with the finals on the rear drive. I'm looking into finding out the owner of what is possibly a long-delayed effort, or maybe even abandoned. If I can find out more of it's history and missing parts I'd like to see if it might be available for sale. My kind of challenge! Thanks in advance, -Tom

Replies10
  1. #156wrench2023-06-19 09:23

    It looks like the planetary hub piled up and is mostly missing. The hub may have been an Auburn Gear, Borg-Warner, or similar. New, those planetary hubs are expensive but may be found used but should be inspected first and checked for ‘silver’ oil and filings

  2. #2iowahill2023-06-19 09:30

    Thanks for the update. I don't know about what may or may not be with it as I haven't found the owner yet. Any idea of what the make is? Thanks, -Tom

  3. #3mowingman2023-06-19 09:50

    My guess is Puckett Bros, which later became Basic Equipment.

  4. #4iowahill2023-06-19 09:57

    Yes, it looks pretty sparse and basic. I thought at first it might have been a one-off. If I can locate the owner and find out how much more of it is around, I might try to cut a deal and have another project. Thanks for the reply, -Tom

  5. #5OzDozer2023-06-19 09:59

    It looks like mowingman has nailed it. I'd have opined it was homebuilt, she's a pretty basic piece of kit! PUCKETT BROS 510BBE MOTOR GRADER PUCKETT BROS 510BBE MOTOR GRADER - J.M. Wood Auction Co., LLC www.liveauctionworld.com

  6. #6iowahill2023-06-19 10:06

    I agree, and it looks like a Puckett Bros. 510D with a single rear wheel, hydrostatic drive through a planetary gear. Thanks for the confirmation! -Tom

  7. #7OzDozer2023-06-19 10:25

    Iowahill, I think you'll find the Puckett Bros 510D is a different and somewhat heavier model, to the one you photographed - but the 510BBE appears to be the model that fills the bill.

  8. #8iowahill2023-06-19 10:29

    I agree that the picture of the 510D shows larger tires, and there was the tandem rear axle version as well. I'll have to do some more research, but greatly appreciate the replies and help! -Tom

  9. #9cuttin edge2023-06-21 21:58

    Our old PB510. This machine has been re invented many times over the years. Alitec, PSI, and now Mauldin. https://www.facebook.com/messenger_...o2HgSHA0GBT9woIlgNy&thread_id=100000744500996 . This is the latest incarnation.

  10. #10Motor Grader2023-09-16 23:34

    Puckett Brothers Grader. Later it was the PSI and now Mauldin builds it although it’s been through many re-engineers since the Puckett days.