Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

mystery pieces II

towbar · 2024-02-22 07:44

always some leftovers looking for a home (Deutz-F6L912 in 1991 DF-dx-6.05 tractor)... The gasket-kit leftover is probably for some auxiliary equipment my engine doesn't have, but the other one looks like maybe a flywheel shim and if it is then that would mean a no-ifs-or-buts clutch and flywheel re-install. I see no trace of it in the engine parts or service manuals that I have, and I have no tractor manual. Anyone familiar with either? TIA

Replies7
  1. #156wrench2024-02-22 09:34

    Nope, but if it did not have a shim under the flywheel or under the capscrews when you took it apart, it shouldn’t need one.

  2. #2towbar2024-02-22 12:09

    I wasn't the one who took the clutch off, I might have been the one who took the flywheel off but I can't remember. It seems to me like the crank hub bolt pattern was not even-spaced, I'll try to find a good picture or blueprint of one, unless I can be positive it all has to come off. All the washer prints are clearly visible on one side of the shim around the bolt holes so it don't look like the flywheel was being shimmed out with it, as far as it going maybe on the clutch side of the thick and beefy flywheel, why would a shim be there at all? I'm confused.

  3. #356wrench2024-02-22 12:14

    Maybe to prevent the capscrews from protruding too far through the crank flange and rubbing on the rear main seal?

  4. #4eastroad2024-02-22 12:59

    Call the Deutz Boyz. Holtry’s LLC in Roxbury, PA 888 868 2098. Bill Holtry knows Deutz engines inside and out.

  5. #5towbar2024-02-22 21:17

    I'll try that (888 868 2098), thanks. Meanwhile found a picture of the crank business-end, not even close... so now I don't even have a suspect anymore, for all I know the ring might even be from the tractor and not the engine :-(

  6. #6towbar2024-03-06 22:53

    The clutch disk has a similar pattern in the center but to verify the size and bolt pattern I have to remove the clutch. I had the complete clutch-assembly rebuilt so IF the ring is from there then either it was removed by the rebuilder and sent to me as un-needed, or I had removed it before sending the old assembly in for rebuild.

  7. #7towbar2025-07-31 06:29

    It took some time but I think the smaller 'shim' is off my Cummins 12-valve business end and probably belongs on either side of the flywheel. It might have been a clutch clearance shim (because the 12-valve came from a Dodge pickup) but there is no clutch on it now as it's driving my 2nd generation snow-blower