Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Mystery tag trailer

charles walton ยท 2019-12-13 17:31

I just bought a tag trailer that is very well made and appears to be a factory built trailer but there's nothing on it to identify it. Have any of you fellows seen one of these and know anything about it?

Replies14
  1. #1Ronsii2019-12-13 17:33

    What's on the title? does it have a VIN on the forward part of the hitch(in front of the deck)

  2. #2charles walton2019-12-13 17:39

    No title and I haven't found any tags. I think the old farmer took anything off when he painted it before he passed away and the kids know nothing about it.

  3. #3crane operator2019-12-13 17:59

    Are the axles just stubs welded to the flat plate on each side, or are they drop steer axles with the axle going all the way under the tilt deck? Looks homebuilt to me.

  4. #4charles walton2019-12-13 18:25

    They're just stub axles with Mack hubs and electric brakes.

  5. #5colson042019-12-13 19:28

    Looks homebuilt to me too

  6. #6terex herder2019-12-13 19:36

    Some homes are better than others. I'll vote home built as well.

  7. #7Mother Deuce2019-12-13 19:56

    Are the stubs attached to that vertical plate?

  8. #8charles walton2019-12-13 20:13

    No there is like a walking beam on each side that the stub axles are welded to.

  9. #9charles walton2019-12-13 20:14

    I will take some pictures of the walking beams tomorrow.

  10. #10crane operator2019-12-13 21:41

    I thought that front hub looked Mack, the rear one doesn't, it looks hendrickson. I think that the hubs, is your best clue as to its homebuilt status. No "manufacturer" is buying mack hubs to mount to a trailer. Built by a construction/ logging/ farmer/ company in the winter to haul some piece of equipment with what was in the boneyard out back. A little of this and a little of that and voila- a trailer is born. In missouri, a trip to the highway patrol office for a inspection and plates/ title status as a "homebuilt" is allowed. A lot of manufactured trailers with some age on them- and lost titles and registration non-renewals, end up getting reclassified as homebuilt status, rather than trying to sort out old title issues. I have no idea what georgia rules are.

  11. #11charles walton2019-12-16 12:01
  12. #12Former Wrench2019-12-16 12:45

    I remember seeing similar from back in the 60's and used by the City to haul small equipment.

  13. #13Mother Deuce2019-12-16 18:53

    She definitely looks like a home built. Somebody put some thought in to it. You will have to be mindful of wear and maintain your trunnion bar bushing. The walking beam tolerances are obviously pretty close. Should take of your needs though.

  14. #14charles walton2019-12-16 19:57

    Upon closer inspection I could tell that it was a home build but they did a good job. I would like to hear some opinions on the maximum safe weight i can haul on it.