I found this little NAMCO forklift and thought it would be handy in the shop. It was parked twenty years ago because it smoked so bad it would fog the building. I'm thinking maybe I could re-power it with another engine. Any suggestions, service/parts manuals or a vendor who may carry various parts for antique forklifts would be appreciated! Thanks, Mike
Nice find. Get it out to a carwash or steam cleaner and examine. In my experience, the ones I knew had Onan gas engines, which is probably what you have. These engines were used heavily in pumps and power plants on riverboats. When worn down, they do smoke. Rebuilders claim it is due to the opposed cylinder build which causes the cylinder wall to wear sagged on the bottoms, hence bore or sleeve. new piston. Make it round again. You cannot do a hone and ring job successfully... Get it cranked and running. determine how bad smoke is. If too much, pull and send to some "qualified" rebuilder. Not every shop can build this engine. Trust me. Pay to get it done right or junk, its grief waiting... Hyd pump, motors, and cylinders should have name/numbers on them, and be rebuildable if needed by your matching the packing/wipers from any good hydraulic supplier. I worked for CLARK 7 years and had my own used business for 14. Mem is faint on some ID, but if my mind is right, the Model:# LC-2015-G means it is 2000 capacity at 15 inch load center. gas powered. SN#: 762-186G means 7/62 build date, SN 186, Gas. Note the capacity at 24" load center.(42/48 inch pallet loads) is only 1492 pounds. Mast is 106" lowered and MFH is 144". Some other source/ref/ links.... Manual PDF https://www.scribd.com/doc/286365308/NAMCO-forklift-manual A refence.. https://www.smokstak.com/forum/threads/onan-cck-ms-in-a-small-fork-lift.68939/ Repower https://repowerspecialists.com/collections/repower-kits-for-onan?mfept=repwer&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwnui_BhDlARIsAEo9GusVE72dD6Mj5Iw1a7SsjamPvpxwL1-mlgZ8bNeNtNEUjjbn-MrJUWcaAhNSEALw_wcB All this is worth what it is costing you; nothing... Good luck with it, TD24
Thank you for your help. I will clean it up at the car wash and get it to crank and see what happens.
Read down the conversation in the link "Reference."There is a lot of good remarks in there. And more current than my memories.
I Frankensteined a ten horse diesel into the NAMCO. Works like a champ. The rear tire has a flat spot from sitting twenty years so I ordered a new one. It is a press in type. Is that procedure pretty straightforward? Thanks, Mike
Yes. Whoever sells you the proper replacement (Size/composition) should be able to press the new one on. Pics appear to be a good fit/install. Congratulations.
Sorry... You ordered, so may not be at a dealers to press. Take your wheel/tire to any forklift dealer shop and they can press it on. Takes a 100 ton press and know what you are doing. What engine did you use?
I used the chicom clone of a yanmar L100 10 hp. I didn't want to sink a lot of money in it not knowing it's condition. Turns out everything works fine except the rear tire is shot. I didn't know how hard it would be to find the tire so when I found one online at Clark I bought it. Shipping was only $15 so that made the deal better. I thought I could press it on myself. A friend has a large press but I don't think it is a 100 ton. I hope the shop doesn't balk at me bringing my own tire.
No, the going rate used to be $1.00 per inch of width. Any Clark dealer can press it on. May have to set up convenience for you both. He will have the "jigs"-tubular sizes to push your new on as it presses your old off. Might be interesting to watch if allowable, no danger. So glad you found and saved the little machine.
Go here and check the msg removal of the drive wheel bolts. https://www.smokstak.com/forum/threads/onan-cck-ms-in-a-small-fork-lift.68939/
The Mighty Diesel NAMCO!
Great find, rescue,modification, and actually doing it. Glad to have been involved.